• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have a photo of Jason Ewert they can post?

131 posts in this topic

cgcjosh2.jpg

..Ah yes,....the night the ground rules were made!!,...

Any idea why Lauterbach is massaging Steve's forearm?...and why is Brulato throwing up gang signs?

???

Oooh Oooh I can see a Schooner in Josh's shirt!!

There's one floating around here somewhere. He just looks like your average white guy.

I just got through reading an article about his unscrupulous business practices several years ago. Another scam artist. Hopefully he has been weeded out of the hobby and held accountable for his actions.

I don't understand why you are singling out Jason here as there were a small group of insiders who were involved or complicit in what could then be seen as undisclosed and underhanded activities in the slabbing game. It's just that Jason took it one step further and probably broke one of the unspoken rules of the group.

From your CGC registration date, it's quite obvious you was not here during the long extended controversy when board members first found out about pressing, then cleaning, followed by disassembly and reassembly, etc. Needless to say, none of this was announced proactively and upfront by CGC. Instead, CGC had to come onto the boards here after many before and after scans were posted by Danny Boy and some of the other board members here exposing what was happening to books in the markeplace. Slowly over a period of time, it was eventually revealed that all of these previous unsavory practices were now fully acceptable and simply deemed to be "maximization of potential".

Totally unlevel playing feel at that time as a small group of insiders, including Jason were aware of the rules changes and took full advantage of them to make a bundle of money off an unsuspecting marketplace. These changes should have been announced proactively and upfront since they certainly went against industry standards or past practices at the time. From the messages on the boards here, it was quite obvious that most of the dealers including even Fishler and the big boys at Metro were also not aware of this in the beginning. From reading the OS definitions, it was also clear that Overstreet and the gang at Gemstone were also not aware of what had taken place.

With respect to Jason, I was a little surprised at how strong Borock's position was. Not only did he banned him from ever submitting books to CGC, if I am not mistaken, he also stated that Jason would never be allowed to deal in comic books ever again. I am not sure what authority Borock has with respect to saying who is and isn't allowed to deal in books, but he never ever made this kind of statement with long-running unscrupulous dealers such as Danny Dupcak and the likes. It was almost as if he saw the whole Jason trimming fiasco as a personal betrayal.

Actually, probably the only indirect positive I saw out of the whole Jason fiasco. The insiders were so busy making money at the hands of a unsuspecting marketplace that they did not take the time to see that one of their own had turn his gun inwards on them at the same time. They got a taste of their own medicine that they were giving out to everybody else and they certainly didn't like the bitter taste of it.

There's one floating around here somewhere. He just looks like your average white guy.

I just got through reading an article about his unscrupulous business practices several years ago. Another scam artist. Hopefully he has been weeded out of the hobby and held accountable for his actions.

I don't understand why you are singling out Jason here as there were a small group of insiders who were involved or complicit in what could then be seen as undisclosed and underhanded activities in the slabbing game. It's just that Jason took it one step further and probably broke one of the unspoken rules of the group.

From your CGC registration date, it's quite obvious you was not here during the long extended controversy when board members first found out about pressing, then cleaning, followed by disassembly and reassembly, etc. Needless to say, none of this was announced proactively and upfront by CGC. Instead, CGC had to come onto the boards here after many before and after scans were posted by Danny Boy and some of the other board members here exposing what was happening to books in the markeplace. Slowly over a period of time, it was eventually revealed that all of these previous unsavory practices were now fully acceptable and simply deemed to be "maximization of potential".

Totally unlevel playing feel at that time as a small group of insiders, including Jason were aware of the rules changes and took full advantage of them to make a bundle of money off an unsuspecting marketplace. These changes should have been announced proactively and upfront since they certainly went against industry standards or past practices at the time. From the messages on the boards here, it was quite obvious that most of the dealers including Fishler and the boys at Metro were also not aware of this in the beginning. From reading the OS definitions, it was also clear that Overstreet and the gang at Gemstone were also not aware of what had taken place.

With respect to Jason, I was a little surprised at how strong Borock's position was. Not only did he banned him from ever submitting books to CGC, if I am not mistaken, he also stated that Jason would never be allowed to deal in comic books ever again. I am not sure what authority Borock has with respect to saying who is and isn't allowed to deal in books, but he never ever made this kind of statement with long-running unscrupulous dealers such as Danny Dupcak and the likes. It was almost as if he saw the whole Jason trimming fiasco as a personal betrayal.

Actually, probably the only indirect positive I saw out of the whole Jason fiasco. The insiders were so busy making money at the hands of a unsuspecting marketplace that they did not take the time to see that one of their own had turn his gun inwards on them at the same time. They got a taste of their own medicine that they were giving out to everybody else and they certainly didn't like the tast of it.

Now that is a great post.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but there was evidence that the clean/press game was going on from the beginning and that some people were aware of it.

Reynold Jay was certainly aware of it as he offered his "CGC Prep Service" as far back (probably further) as 2002 (when I got back into comics). I always wondered what the sevice was, but never asked him the question. Once the "game" started to become clearer, I did contact him and asked him straight up what the service was and was pressing a part of it. He answered all my questions and didn't shy around anything, even letting me know he process.

I wish I still had that email. I know I posted some attachments he sent along with it that showed a standard "invoice" for the prep service. It was happeneing when we were debating how long an actual press job took (before we knew how quickly it can be done). Good stuff.

Again, great post above.

I didn't notice him say that about Ewert, but I've definitely heard him make statements about that regarding Dupcak on multiple occasions. When I heard him make the statements he wasn't presuming some kind of authority on who can and who can't sell comics--pretty sure he's not arrogant enough to think he controls the free market for comics on our planet--he just meant he'd do all he could to stop them from being able to do business.

Lots of dealers just turn a blind eye to the bad guys...I respected Steve's position of trying to shut the crooks out of the business. I've only ever seen two other people go out of their way to the extent Steve has to shut down comic book crooks--Mark Zaid and one other person who would probably prefer to remain anonymous who gathered much of the information about Dupcak we have today. OldGuy as well, who published a lot of that gathered Dupcak info on his web site.

Maybe, but the difference between Ewert and someone like Dupcak is that Ewert's actions threatened to undermine CGC by calling their resto/trimming detection skills into question.

I've mentioned this before, but I really have a hard time believing that Brulato was completely unaware of what Ewert was doing. I also understand the seriousness of that kind of accusation, so I also acknowledge that I may be out of line.

Maybe, but the difference between Ewert and someone like Dupcak is that Ewert's actions threatened to undermine CGC by calling their resto/trimming detection skills into question.

...The difference between Dupcak and Ewert was the long time association between him and Borock,...otherwise potato/potatoe,...

I've mentioned this before, but I really have a hard time believing that Brulato was completely unaware of what Ewert was doing. I also understand the seriousness of that kind of accusation, so I also acknowledge that I may be out of line.

...I have a hard time believing that any of them were unaware,..

I've only ever seen two other people go out of their way to the extent Steve has to shut down comic book crooks--Mark Zaid and one other person who would probably prefer to remain anonymous who gathered much of the information about Dupcak we have today. OldGuy as well, who published a lot of that gathered Dupcak info on his web site.

There is no doubt that the work he did after the CBG article was published has been priceless.

One of these days I'll get off my @ss and update the website with the pile of info that has been gathered on Dupcak since the article was published. None of the information is really game changing, but it is facinating and very entertaining.

I thought it was established that Brulato knew :shrug:

...I have a hard time believing that any of them were unaware,..

Well, the crime is probably not the actual perpetration of the wrongful activity, but rather the fact that you got caught while doing it. hm

I thought it was established that Brulato knew :shrug:

It was in my mind.

Having said that, I wouldn't publish a website saying that. It's one thing to create one for someone like Danny. He may not like the site, but criminals tend to avoid court rooms at all costs. Brulato on the other hand might not like having his own webpage and might be willing to force the issue.

I've only ever seen two other people go out of their way to the extent Steve has to shut down comic book crooks--Mark Zaid and one other person who would probably prefer to remain anonymous who gathered much of the information about Dupcak we have today. OldGuy as well, who published a lot of that gathered Dupcak info on his web site.

There is no doubt that the work he did after the CBG article was published has been priceless.

One of these days I'll get off my @ss and update the website with the pile of info that has been gathered on Dupcak since the article was published. None of the information is really game changing, but it is facinating and very entertaining.

I would love to read it.

I doubt Brulato was any more fond of the court room than anyone else, because it's more agitation than results.

When Ewert sued me (wow, that's over three years ago now) I believe that Brulato thought he was eventually going to be third partied in (by somebody) and even if he wasn't an actual defendant, was going to have to be deposed etc.

Jason definitely was hopped up when I spoke with him on the phone during that time. The lawyer he hired definitely took advantage of Jason (he went to jail shortly after the lawsuit was dismissed) and was well known for taking advantage and stealing from his clients. I have no idea if Jason fell into this, but he and I reached an amicable resolution of dismissal. Bruce, on the other hand, defended the case -- and Jason never even responded to the Motion to Dismiss. In fact, nobody ever heard from Jason or his lawyer after it got removed to federal court.

I doubt Brulato was any more fond of the court room than anyone else, because it's more agitation than results.

When Ewert sued me (wow, that's over three years ago now) I believe that Brulato thought he was eventually going to be third partied in (by somebody) and even if he wasn't an actual defendant, was going to have to be deposed etc.

Jason definitely was hopped up when I spoke with him on the phone during that time. The lawyer he hired definitely took advantage of Jason (he went to jail shortly after the lawsuit was dismissed) and was well known for taking advantage and stealing from his clients. I have no idea if Jason fell into this, but he and I reached an amicable resolution of dismissal. Bruce, on the other hand, defended the case -- and Jason never even responded to the Motion to Dismiss. In fact, nobody ever heard from Jason or his lawyer after it got removed to federal court.

Brian - I wasn't aware that he had sued you. Are you able to give details on the case?

Brian - I wasn't aware that he had sued you. Are you able to give details on the case?

What would you like to know?