• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Desirable: First appearance or First Cover.

25 posts in this topic

What's your opinion? Now that I'm buying and slabbing more CGC comics I'm finding that I prefer the first cover over the first appearance. I'm dabbing my toes in Golden Age Batman/Detective and I would much rather have Two-Face's 1st cover over his pricier 1st appearance. I know, I know, buy what you like but it would be interesting to see what the Kings of the Four Color Society think. This wasn't my approach before buying slabs.

I don't think Two-Face's first appearance is all that much more expensive than his first cover appearance. His image is also very small on his first cover appearance. There are definitely some better GA Two-Face covers out there. If I recall his 2nd appearance is the 2nd part of the story from his first appearance but for some reason there was a one issue gap. I was loved a good GA Joker cover and mainly collected them back when I bought GA. I even had a Tec 66 but never got a Tec 68.

One of the most tragic first appearances cover-wise. It took some time before Doc Strange was anything more than an occasional small head on the cover.

Most tragic of all is probably All-Star 8. Sensation 1 should have been WW's 1st appearance.

Actually, maybe Aquaman is even more tragic--1st appeared in 1941, but didn't make a cover until the Silver Age. :o

One of the most tragic first appearances cover-wise. It took some time before Doc Strange was anything more than an occasional small head on the cover.

Most tragic of all is probably All-Star 8. Sensation 1 should have been WW's 1st appearance.

Actually, maybe Aquaman is even more tragic--1st appeared in 1941, but didn't make a cover until the Silver Age. :o

And wasn't Aquaman along with Supes, Bats, and WW, the only DC characters to run continuously from GA without a hiatus?