• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to ebayer - Midpacific2002- someone reliable out there in ebay land

162 posts in this topic

Scenario...

You notice a fellow boardie, friend, someone you know, etc. has a BIN book for sale on eBay. You PM them or email them and say I'll offer you such and such for the book and a deal is agreed upon. Let's say for purposes of the discussion the BIN is $100 and you cut a deal for $80 bucks.

Seller pulls book and you complete the transaction outside of ebay...

Question in my mind is not would you do this or not...is this ethical or not...WHO WOULDN'T DO IT THIS WAY? Not to be too harsh, but to not do it this way would just be...dumb... (shrug)2c

Any different if this is Comiclink, any other consignment site?

What would be the difference if Seller notices someone is advertising a book they need in the WTB section (has a book posted at eBay or elsewhere)...contacts the boardie, they cut a deal, pulls the book and completes the transaction...

This just doesn't fit under the category that to not honor the consignment site THEIR fees is unethical behavior...just good old-fashioned common sense and an exception to the rule especially when 2 people know each other...

To say it another way, if the Seller knew the other person wanted the book in the first place, they never would've consigned it...they'd have just done the deal prior to consigning...

duh doh!

Totally agree with this.

Sure, it makes sense from a buyer and seller perspective.

But it's not about that. It's about eBay's perspective. And eBay explicitly says "do not use our service unless you plan on paying us for that service" and that service includes a Final Value Fee for items that are sold through/because of the service.

This doesn't apply after an item has ended its regular run. But while the listing is active, it does.

Just because eBay is "rich" or that it doesn't matter because it's "just eBay, and they can afford it", doesn't change the principle. If one doesn't want to pay eBay for the service, one shouldn't use the service.

:shrug:

PS. The difference between someone finding an item on eBay,. and a seller noticing a WTB is simply one of advertising: if the potential buyer found the item specifically because of eBay, eBay deserves its fee. If the seller FINDS the buyer in another venue, then eBay's services weren't involved in any way, and thus they have no legal claim to the FVF. A seller can end a listing any time they want.

It all depends on how the buyer finds the item.

The point is to STOP doing wrong, not wander blindly through life doing the same wrong things just because "I've already done it anyways" and "everyone else has done it, too."

Thanks for the sentiment. Gosh you're so right and just. Thank God I stumbled onto this website so that I may be properly steered by your 3 cent advice.