• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon vs NYCC

6 posts in this topic

I am on my last year in College and end late March. I plan to take a vacation next year to the US and hit up one con. I have family in NYC and in SF so I will probably go to those cities. So my question is which con is better for me to go to next year? I want to get my money's worth.

Thanks

Dom

The location and dates for WonderCon has not been decided for 2012. Since the Moscone Convention is being renovated, there are rumors about WonderCon moving out of the San Francisco. However, these are only rumors. WonderCon usually takes place in April. WonderCon has improved substantially, since the Comic Con folks took over. I have attended WonderCon many times, since I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

NYCC takes place in October. I am going the NYCC in October for the first time, so after I return, I can give you a more accurate comparison.

I believe the NYCC is much bigger than WonderCon. Some other boardies, who have attended both, can chime in and help.

Of course, SDCC is the biggest comic book related convention in the world. A four day ticket may be hard to come by.

I am on my last year in College and end late March. I plan to take a vacation next year to the US and hit up one con. I have family in NYC and in SF so I will probably go to those cities. So my question is which con is better for me to go to next year? I want to get my money's worth.

Thanks

Dom

Im surprised you got a visa so fast since it took my cousin forever to get one and her father is a mayor

Dom, that is an excellent question and the real answer is, either show should be a real delight for you to attend as a comics fan. Here's my opinion on the 2 shows:

NYCC: This show is the 2nd biggest comic book show in the United States, and has a really good representation of comic book writers, artists, and publishers. Because the big comic publishers are in New York City and agreed to be at and promote this show, you can always count on Marvel and DC, as well as Dark Horse and Image, to be at the convention and bring some top-name talent for you to meet. While the comic guest list is usually very impressive, you will be competing with tens and tens of thousands of people to meet the comics talent, get sketches and autographs, and buy comics and merchandise.

WonderCon: This was an old fashioned comic book show, with lots of cool comic book dealers and merchandise vendors, that got purchased by the San Diego Comic Con organization and has become a medium to large "pop culture" convention. What I mean is that the convention, while mainly a comic book show, also has a lot of panels and events that have to do with television shows, major Hollywood movies, and video games as well. Past guests included Tobey Maguire (when he was doing the Spider-Man movies), Christian Bale, David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson, the cast of Kick-@$$ including Nicholas Cage, and so on. Most of the major comic publishers now have a booth and bring comic talent to WonderCon, including Marvel and DC, but this past April, the big "star" of the show was Ryan Reynolds coming to promote Green Lantern. There are still a lot of comic vendors, and I can get a lot of great deals on comics at WonderCon.

I think that the NYCC brings in a better variety of comic book writers and artists, especially those people that live outside the United States. However, I personally have more fun going to WonderCon. (part of that is because I've been going to WonderCon for the past 15+ years and have some great memories.) I think the NYCC is all business and little fun, and their programming schedule does not have the variety or star power of WonderCon.

If you're looking to meet the widest variety of comic book artists and writers, maybe get some sketches or autographs on your comics, I would say pick the New York Comic Con. If you're looking to experience a comic book show with added activities related to movies, TV, and video games, pick WonderCon. If you're looking to just walk around a comic show, maybe buy some comics, meet some people, honestly, you can't go wrong with either show.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Dom

Im surprised you got a visa so fast since it took my cousin forever to get one and her father is a mayor

Yeah I have never had a problem with visa haha. I've actually been to the States several times. I got some American blood in me from me.

Thanks to everyones input. I am excited to go to my first real con.