• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which books do you think could be a Gerber 10

62 posts in this topic

Ernest Gerber did not assign a 10 to that many books but imagine there are more books that could be a 10 out there. Please list any books that in your mind should be a 10 and if you have them please post them.

drums001.jpg

This book was not in the Gerber but I think it would be a 10. Besides my copy the only other copy I have seen is from Heritage in my 20 years collecting rare comics.

Never saw the Drums of Doom before, cool. I said it before but this should be an easy Gerber 10. One of only two known copies and I searched Ebay, etc on a daily basis for almost 3 years straight at one point and I haven't even seen anyone show off another copy of this issue. When Heritage first sold the 8.0 copy it was the only known copy at that time and for such a high profile issue I am shocked that I haven't seen more floating around. I've seen at least 30+ copies of the original version in the last 7-8 years. I'm curious as heck as to what the print run of these issues were, must have been tiny.

Cap74C.jpg

Never saw the Drums of Doom before, cool. I said it before but this should be an easy Gerber 10. One of only two known copies and I searched Ebay, etc on a daily basis for almost 3 years straight at one point and I haven't even seen anyone show off another copy of this issue. When Heritage first sold the 8.0 copy it was the only known copy at that time and for such a high profile issue I am shocked that I haven't seen more floating around. I've seen at least 30+ copies of the original version in the last 7-8 years. I'm curious as heck as to what the print run of these issues were, must have been tiny.

Cap74C.jpg

One of the best cover ever. Creepy

Thats the Canadian version, right?

Correct.

If we're including foreign issues, they're going to have quite an edge in terms of rarity. Obviously they're not going to be showing up on eBay much either. From my collection here's Crimes by Women #14, and here is its UK counterpart. I'd like to think the UK counterpart is exceedingly rare, but who knows?

cbw14-foreign.jpg

For the sake of discussion, how rare IS a Gerber 10? Only 1-3 copies known to exist, or what? From what I remember, the majority of Gerber 10's were ashcans.

I have a copy of a book of which i know of only 2 copies. I have talked to several people about it. Borrock and Haspel have never seen a copy, Richie Muchins has never seen a copy. Harley has never seen a copy. The only other one I know about is the Church copy. Wouldn't really surprise me if there were more copies on the boards though.......

Fantastic Comics #18

494995516_o.jpg

Cool, have never seen that cover before. Wonder is Fishler has a copy tucked away?

the one on gcd is a different copy, and doesn't appear to be the church. that would make 3.

Ernest Gerber did not assign a 10 to that many books but imagine there are more books that could be a 10 out there. Please list any books that in your mind should be a 10 and if you have them please post them.

drums001.jpg

This book was not in the Gerber but I think it would be a 10. Besides my copy the only other copy I have seen is from Heritage in my 20 years collecting rare comics.

Very cool! :o In over 30 yrs of collecting, I've never seen one either. Since Gerber "10"s are less than 5 copies known to exist, I believe this qualifies!

What are the contents? Comics? Text? Illos? Very unusual cover and price. In his book, Gerber stated there's probably more "10"s than we are aware of! This is one of a handful of books that are now known to exists that didn't make it into Gerber's book.

Thanks for sharing. :applause:

A couple of weeks ago an australian Cap 75 or 76 was sold (with strong biddings from what I saw).

I missed that one, but I'm not surprised.

Given the much smaller population of Australia in the GA (7.4 million in 1945) and hence smaller print runs with lower quality paper covers (no glossy covers here) and - perhaps most important - not much of a culture of comic book collecting, I suspect there are *many* Australian comics that would qualify as 8, 9 or 10 by Gerber standards.

Early Australian Disneys (1941-49) often sell for more than their US counterparts and I see them much less often. I've seen one copy of Australian WDC&S #3 in ten years.

Cap74C.jpg

I think Sephen L. might have a copy of this if its the book I am remembering correctly, unless this is Stephen posting...lol. I dont know the Nic's that well here yet.

Jason

drums001.jpg

What are the details about this book? Year? Publisher? Color or b/w interior?

UK books are very rare. I don't own this copy but its the first time I've ever seen one. Also, saw a UK Captain America Comics #78 last week, never knew it existed.

There are UK "versions" of many later golden age books - Fawcett, Fox, Charlton, Timely, Atlas, ACG, Ajax - most of them were published by L Miller & Sons (who also published Marvelman from 1954 to 1963).

I've been collecting them for about a year or so and I'd say all issues are rare. probably sub-20 copies, so not sure which are Gerber 10s or not.

The whole UK market before USA comics were widely distributed is fascinating and very undocumented.

There is presently a probable Gerber 11 - that is Marvelman no.26 (issue 2). No copies have been found and the search had all of Marvel's weight behind it recently for their collected editions. I understand a copy was last heard of in the 1980s, missing its back cover.

Speaking of obscure, I've also collected a late GA title, Nature Boy (Charlton) for about ten years.

The pic below shows FOUR versions of an already rare title

USA version / Australian Version

UK version (L Miller) / Mexican Version

The USA version is a 6 or 7 I think. I've no doubt the others are 9 or 10s.

cgcboards.jpg