• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which books do you think could be a Gerber 10

62 posts in this topic

A bit late to the thread, but the Whiz Bang Annual is a very interesting book. It's published by Fawcett Publications. From what I've found, it was published as Jan 1940 cover date, so possibly a month before Whiz Comics!

Interesting (to me) for a couple reasons - this may've been the first published use of Whiz logo at Fawcett (similar, but not exactly the same as the one used on Whiz #2 (#1)). Also, I'm wondering if Fawcett frustrated by the loss of Flash Comics (to DC), Thrill Comics (to Better) and Capt Thunder (to Fiction House) picked "Whiz", since it was a name they were already going to use and figured no one else would?

Though aimed at adults, I'd call it a Comic Magazine, because of the size and content. Not sure it should in in OSPG, but similar books are already listed, like Avon's Bachelor's Diary and Sideshow, which were adult oriented and contain panel cartoons (like Whiz Bang), text and photos.

Does seem to be hard to find, and if no one else on the board has copies, might be a strong case for a high Gerber number.

WhizBang1940.jpg

WhizBang1940BC.jpg

Two copies now posted just in this thread! Anyone else have one?

Prior to buying my copy (paid over $400 for it btw) why in the world wasn't it offered to me here on the boards? I guarantee I would have paid more that what it will sell for on ebay. Argh! Now who has a Sensation Comics #9 they want to sell me and save me some time looking for another copy?

I have a Fantastic 18. I'm missing 3,15, 17 and 23.

For the sake of discussion, how rare IS a Gerber 10? Only 1-3 copies known to exist, or what? From what I remember, the majority of Gerber 10's were ashcans.

I have a copy of a book of which i know of only 2 copies. I have talked to several people about it. Borrock and Haspel have never seen a copy, Richie Muchins has never seen a copy. Harley has never seen a copy. The only other one I know about is the Church copy. Wouldn't really surprise me if there were more copies on the boards though.......

Fantastic Comics #18

494995516_o.jpg

Prior to buying my copy (paid over $400 for it btw) why in the world wasn't it offered to me here on the boards? I guarantee I would have paid more that what it will sell for on ebay. Argh! Now who has a Sensation Comics #9 they want to sell me and save me some time looking for another copy?

$400 for a 7.0 vs. $191 for what's a 3.0 at best (albeit with decent eye-appeal), due to the tape along the spine. I'd say you got the better deal!

I have a true Gerber 10 (in the sense that there are less than 5 known copies), but it is modern. Still, since some of you guys are college football fans, you might be interested in the comic, which was written up in Sports Illustrated here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/06/19/recruiting.main/

And Sports Illustrated actually posted scans of the complete comic here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/cfb.oregon.comic.book/content.1.html

From SI:

"Gilmore enlisted Oregon students Brett Kautter, Heather Terry and Brian Merrell to create a one-of-a-kind recruiting tool that -- while still adhering to NCAA rules -- would make recruits think of Oregon as the nation's coolest program.

So when Oregon coaches identified their top 20 prospects for the class of 2005, Gilmore and his staff designed custom comic books starring each recruit as the hero who leads the Ducks to a national title. Because NCAA rules at the time only allowed programs to send letter-sized, black-and-white pages to recruits, Gilmore sent each prospect one page a week. After a few months, the recruit had the full comic book. And when that recruit came to Eugene for an official visit, he would find the bound, full-color book sitting on a table, possibly alongside a fake Sports Illustrated cover -- attached to a real copy of the magazine -- featuring the prospect wearing an Oregon uniform and holding the Heisman Trophy.

Recruits loved the books, and they helped the Ducks land several stars. For example, Jonathan Stewart didn't lead the Ducks to a national title the way he did in Snoop: A Hero Is Born, but he did become the school's second-leading rusher in just three seasons. Before they could immortalize the class of 2006 in graphic-novel form, Gilmore and his team received the ultimate backhanded compliment -- the NCAA banned the books."

I have the Jonathon Stewart comic, which was printed up solely to show to Jonathon (now with the Carolina Panthers) on his official visit to Oregon, but not to give to him to keep (as that would have violated NCAA rules). It was obtained from the UO athletic department.

oregon-comic-cover.jpg

My apologies for polluting the GA board with a modern comic.

Go Ducks!

Ad for Drums of Doom from the back cover of Tip Top #18 (October 1937). I'd love to see interior shots of this one, because from the description it doesn't sound like a comic book.

Tip%252520Top%252520018%252520E.jpg

My guess is that they were text stories, maybe? Many of the early Tip Tops aren't indexed in GCD yet so it's hard to say. A quick search on ABE didn't turn up any copies but here's one that sold at HA:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=16121&lotNo=17136

Earlier in the thread, Bo said this about his copy which is in the first post:

The Drums of doom book came out in 1937 and just has text and pictures. No comic strips. It is in the Overstreet.

There were also ads for the Tip Top subscription offer that included a copy of this book in Boy's Life.

The Drums of doom book came out in 1937 and just has text and pictures. No comic strips. It is in the Overstreet.

There were also ads for the Tip Top subscription offer that included a copy of this book in Boy's Life.

I saw those when I did the Google search. Very cool. They would have been about the same time as the Tip Top 18

doh! and I swear I re-read the thread before I posted :blush:

but I'd still like to see pictures...

Honestly, I think foreign comics are a whole different can of worms and it's very, very difficult to apply a Gerber rating to them.

Here's a Centaur that may very well qualify - a copy has never been auctioned to my knowledge, and in over 30 years of collecting I have never seen one for sale at a convention or on a dealer's list.

I know this was one of the last couple of books for a Centaur completist to find, then there's the Gerber copy (Berk's), another boardie has one, and this is mine (Larson), so that makes 4... any more (Church)? GATOR?

100_2720-1.jpg

Honestly, I think foreign comics are a whole different can of worms and it's very, very difficult to apply a Gerber rating to them.

Here's a Centaur that may very well qualify - a copy has never been auctioned to my knowledge, and in over 30 years of collecting I have never seen one for sale at a convention or on a dealer's list.

I know this was one of the last couple of books for a Centaur completist to find, then there's the Gerber copy (Berk's), another boardie has one, and this is mine (Larson), so that makes 4... any more (Church)? GATOR?

100_2720-1.jpg

:applause::cloud9::takeit:

My nomination for Gerber 10 goes to:

Nightingale.jpg

None at HA. None on the census. One at Library of Congress. Are there any more?

Prior thread on this book:

Nightingale thread

I second that. I have actively sought a copy out for about 15 years and the first time I had any proof than it even existed was when you posted the cover.

100_2720-1.jpg

:applause::cloud9::takeit:

I'd have to agree on both counts: the challenge in applying Gerber scarcity rating to foreign comics, and the LGDF #4 being as rare as hen's teeth! (thumbs u

Speaking of rare comics, I caught sight of something on eBay that is pretty remarkable. Here is the link to the item,which is almost over. (Disclaimer: I have NO association with the seller and absolutely no interest in or connection to the auction.)

mmc128.jpg

From what I can tell, this is the super-rare Marvel Mystery Comics 132 pager, which is listed at the end of the Marvel Mystery Comics section in the Overstreet guide (bottom of page 727 in current guide). There is a rare variant of that comic, and this could be it -- not sure which one it is.

The 132-pager was printed in New York and there are supposedly only 5 copies known to exist. The variant is even more rare than that.

Too bad about the burnt edges -- it's almost as though Human Torch had emerged from the story.

P.S. Seller only has 1 feedback. All his stuff seems to be damaged by fire.

A quick question: In perusing the Price Guide last night I came across a comic denoted as "very rare". While I've often seen the Price Guide denote comics as "scarce" or "rare," I'd never seen something identified as "very rare" before.

Does anyone know of any comics designated as "very rare" by the Price Guide? If so, can you identify them.