• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hotflips Wizard World Chicago Report........

16 posts in this topic

Started out Tuesday morning after we loaded up the second van and got on the road about half hour earlier than expected. So with coffee in hand it was off to a good start. Then came the Cross Bronx Expressway. Now im in a bad mood as it took us over two hours to cross the George Washington Bridge. So after 2 and half hours we finally made it out of New York. Yeah it sucks.

After that we drove pretty smoothly on I-80 until we got to the middle of Pennsylvania where they seem to be doing endless construction and every merges into one lane. I dont get the whole thing about merging into a lane a mile before the merge part. So, i flew up to the merge point and cut everyone off because thats what we do. Saved about a half hour. But whatever. As soon as we hit Ohio the skies opened up and there was a very, very intense thunderstorm. Traffic slowed up to a crawl so we stopped at a rest stop. Its about 9:30 P.M. now and the power was out. No food, no nothing. We decide to call some hotels and stay the night. They are all booked up. Nothing available. We drive another 40 or so miles after the rain let up and found a hotel. Motel 6 :censored: No choice so we stayed. I quickly gave a call to Bob Storms of High Grade Comics fame and warned him about the hotel situation. I told him we found a hotel called the Bellagio and he decided to meet us there.

Wednesday: So with Bob joining the convoy we drive to Chicago pretty much smoothly until we get to I-90, which is Chicago's version of the Cross Bronx Expressway. After an hour we get to the convention center. Set up is smooth. Dropped off books to CGC and checked into the Hyatt. I really cant say enough about the Hyatt. The people who work there are top-notch all the way and very accommodating. Especially the worker, Jen who was very nice. After that my family was joined by Paul of Toon Tumbler fame and we went to the Old Warsaw Polish Buffet as I do every year. The food was great and after that I was ready to go back to NY.

Thursday, show opened at 5 and there was a decent crowd for a Thursday. Show ended at 9. After that, my family met up with Bob, SOT John, Brian (Foolkiller) and Brian's friend and we went to Gino's for Pizza. Good food, good conversation, I had a good time.

Friday: Show opens at noon and people were coming in. Steady all day. Friday night played cards in the poker tourney. I cashed because I am awesome (thanks Brian). And thanks Brad Klods247 for setting that up. 'Nuff said.

Saturday the show was jammmmmmmed. Thats all I need to say about that.

Sunday (kids day) had so many kids walking around which was nice to see. I had numerous kids between 8-15 years old asking me about storing their comics because they didnt want to ruin them after they read them. YES THEY READ COMICS!! A GOOD THING!!

Some observations about the show: There were a lot of people who attended this show. I think a lot of it has to do with the media guests but let me say this: There was an abundance of comic dealers there than in years past. You can find anything you wanted from High Grade Vintage comics to dollar books to comics for a quarter to SUPPLIES :acclaim: If you like comics there was something there for you. There was also over 500 artists there this year which took up two more aisles than in years past. That is huge. Also, there was no one there selling sand art or sham-wows at the show. They seem to eliminate that which was cool.

I saw JoeyPost twice during the show. He looked tired but he laughed twice at my booth so he was upbeat.

I saw Matt Nelson Saturday night at the bar, he looked tired. So much so, that he dropped a drink on me by accident hm

Always a pleasure hanging out with Brian Ketterer and Andre (campued1010) and John (SOT) and even "Get off my lawn" meanie Bob Storms.

The CGC crew worked their butts off this weekend. Good job guys.

Nice hanging out with CGCWorld and his wife, Transplant, MCMiles and everyone else. Sorry if I forgot to mention you.

All in all, I think Wizard World hit a home run with this show. Looking forward to the next one!!

Jeff

Do you think Bob is the type of guy, who runs out of his house if a ball is hit onto his property and instead of throwing it back, runs back in the house and keeps it?

Sandlot baby!!!!

And Joe...... 8.0 CROW!!! Nice job bro :)

Do you think Bob is the type of guy, who runs out of his house if a ball is hit onto his property and instead of throwing it back, runs back in the house and keeps it?

Sandlot baby!!!!

It was great to see you again Brad. Next year we have to plan a dinner.

Yes and not only that, but he mangles it first then gives it back.

Next time, get your own brittle. hm

How can I forget the infamous Greggy. Always a pleasure seeing you and dont matter what everybody else says, you are alright in my book. (thumbs u

Sandlot baby!!!!

Roger that. I'm thinking it's time to make a change from Ram after the extremely crappy service we had Thursday night. As we were being served are first round( 25 min after being seated) , I briefly chatted with KOR and Tupenny; they had just waited 45 min for their bill! Im not positive, but I am pretty sure our waiter was either drunk or had a few too many screws loose :insane: . But yup, your dinner next year is on me bud (thumbs u .

Sandlot baby!!!!

Roger that. I'm thinking it's time to make a change from Ram after the extremely crappy service we had Thursday night. As we were being served are first round( 25 min after being seated) , I briefly chatted with KOR and Tupenny; they had just waited 45 min for their bill! Im not positive, but I am pretty sure our waiter was either drunk or had a few too many screws loose :insane: . But yup, your dinner next year is on me bud (thumbs u .

Plus, the acoustics there are terrible. I can never hear any part of a conversation in that place.

Sandlot baby!!!!

Plus, the acoustics there are terrible. I can never hear any part of a conversation in that place.

The best part about the Ram is the EXIT sign.

Sandlot baby!!!!

The best part about the Ram is the EXIT sign.

lol , no joke Bill!

Sandlot baby!!!!

What?

Sandlot baby!!!!

What?

Exactly. Plus, I ate at Ram twice over the weekend and I can definitely say that the best hamburg I had was on the way home at a Steak and Shake in Indiana for $3.99 which included french fries.

Sandlot baby!!!!

What?

Bacon

Sandlot baby!!!!

What?

Bacon

Eggs.