• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your top 10 GA artists? How do they fit into your all time list?
1 1

77 posts in this topic

I imagine this is too obvious not to have been done before - but boards change, different people contribute, so even if this has been done before, let's do it again!

Post your top ten favourite Golden Age artists, then your top ten of all time. How many of the golden age artists survive the cut? Include pulp artists if you need to. Also art teams if they are inseparable!

Note that I'm asking you to post your personal favourites, not the ones considered greatest by the hobby at large - otherwise we will end up with only one list with minor variations which, let's face it, is rather obvious, and even boring!

So dont be afraid to post the artists of your personal choice and exclude the ones orthodoxy says you must acknowledge - even if that excludes Frank Frazetta! Have the courage of your convictions and do your best to respect each others choices!

But please let us know why you choose a given artist - illustrate your choices if you can!

So, on to my list. Let me say straight up that while I fully recognise the importance of Jack Kirby's contribution to the field and I'm sure many would place him at the top of the tree, he is not an artist I have ever particularly liked - at least in comparison to those to whom I gave respectful consideration before regretfully deciding there was no room in my top ten for them. These included the largely unsung Lou Cameron, who did sterling work for Ace, as well as many of the brightest luminaries in the field, Jack Cole, LB Cole, Will Eisner, Hal Foster, Charles Biro, Paul Gustavson, Jack Kamen, Alex Schomburg, Syd Shores, Joe Simon, Charles Sultan, and Dan Zolnerowich.

So, my goodness, if Kirby, Schomburg and Eisner - who would surely be on any top ten greatest artists list - arent on my list of favourites, who does it leave?!

Edited by alanna

10. Joe Doolin

It has to be said that Joe Doolin is a rather limited artist, but he knew how to play to his strengths, which included a clean linear style, especially suited to science fiction. He did some wonderful work on Planet Comics. Here are a few examples

PlanetComics2865NicolasCage.jpg

PlanetComics3060.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

Edited by alanna

9. Wally Wood

When I was young Wally Wood was my favourite artist. I loved the fine detail of the way he drew. But over the years it gradually dawned on me that his style depended heavily on a limited number of rather wooden poses. So he's fallen in my estimation over the years. But I still love this:

StrangeWorlds445.jpg

8. Frank Frazetta

Maker of worlds!

My first experience of Frank Frazetta was the covers he did for Warren Magazines, which blew me away.

frank_frazetta_seawitch.jpg

The interiors dissappointed me by comparison with what the covers seem to promise. (His depictions of women are far and away the most erotic.)

16b_creepy_1967aug_fritz.jpg

He created worlds that illustrated stories less resonant than the pictures he made. But he was the perfect artist for Conan.

FrankFrazetta-Conan-the-Conqueror-1967.jpg

His style is expressionist and painterly rather than classical and linear and therefore perfectly suited to depictions of the horrific. Yet he was the most versatile of artists because he could if needed adapt his style to suit the material. His Buck Rogers covers for Famous Funnies outdo Alex Raymond at his own game, and are arguably the greatest set of comic covers ever created. I dont own any of these at present but I used to have this one, many years ago (the comic, not the original art!)

1212_frazettabuck.jpg

My single favourite Frazetta cover wont surprise anyone, though I hasten to add this isnt mine and it's years since I owned a copy something I intend to rectify:

bustercrabbe005.jpg

It also contains a wonderful story by Al Williamson in alliance with Frazetta or George Evans - I cant remember which - but I'm sure someone here will know!

MAIDOFMARS.jpg

Edited by alanna

7. Steve Ditko

The king of terror!

As I indicated earlier, my knowledge of the golden age came much later than my knowledge of the silver age. One because I lived through the silver age here in the UK (racing my school chums once a month to the local store to get the latest Marvels). Two because evidence that the golden age even existed was only from hints in Silver Age comics.

That Steve Ditko (and Richard Ayers for that matter) had a career as a horror artist was something I learned only after the photo journal appeared. I love the stories he did for Charlton in the fifties - but above all I like his covers, which show in no uncertain terms that before he became the king of dynamic movement with Spiderman, he was with Charlton beyond a doubt the king of fear!

TheThing1265.jpg

ThisMagazineIsHaunted1780.jpg

Thing_12_01.jpg

6. Maurice Whitman

Joe Doolin and Dan Zolnerwich carried the torch for Fiction House for more than a decade, doing the vast majority of the covers between them. Difficult to imagine anyone exceeding the quality of their output, but Maurice Whitman managed effortlessly to do so. The covers he did are among the most impressive oeuvres in the field. His entrance also coincided with a new printing process which made the covers seem almost painterly - especially vivid in coloration, which had always been a problem for Fiction House to that point.

Here are a few of my favourite Whitman covers to illustrate the point:

PlanetComics7180.jpg

j147.jpg

GhostComics1075.jpg

Edited by alanna

5. Lou Fine

Lightning in a bottle!

I have no in-depth knowledge of Fine at all and would be grateful for some help filling the gaps. What strikes me is that he appears to be the first comic book artist to display absolute mastery of line, anatomy and composition (given that Foster and Raymond did newspaper strips). In that respect he seems to be a precursor of Frazetta and Williamson - but also arguably of the expansive style of the Marvel era a generation later.

wonderworld745.jpg

So often you find that an artist will sacrifice detail for the sake of action, or pile on so much detail as to virtually immobilise the art. But Fine never compromised. The details are all there - in service to the composition. In consequence the majority of his covers capture the action in a split second - free flowing, lucid and above all completely alive!

mys5.jpg

Wonderworld1165.jpg

Edited by alanna

4. Alex Raymond

Flash Gordon is the very definition of heroism, and the word heroic is a pretty good adjective to apply to Raymond's astonishingly sustained and detailed creation of an alien world, where men are men, women are stunningly beautiful, and the villains are well - merciless.

There is no doubting that the storyline creaks in places, and indeed becomes somewhat stagnant towards the end of Raymond's run, but it is the art that carries the story!

It is interesting to watch how Raymond matures as an artist through the evolution of his depiction of Flash Gordon.

Flash_Gordonoriginpage.jpg

From its early beginnings the style gradually becomes looser and more free flowing...

FlashGordonColor-01.jpg

Gradually a more refined and classical style emerges

FlashGordon4-24.jpg

08_21_07_flash_gordon1.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

16.jpg

55.jpg

Edited by alanna

3. Matt Baker

Baker has qualities that set him apart from any other comic artist. In particular his depiction of women is easily the most sympathetic in comicdom. In his heyday as a St John romance artist he came into his own.

CinderellaLove2555.jpg

He does not treat women as objects as most comic depictions do. Yes, his women are beauiful on the outside - but they have complex inner lives, make mistakes, seek redemption, which they dont always achieve.

Teen-ageRomances1580.jpg

His women have fallen from grace, but he depicts them all the more humanely for it. They live. They breathe the same air as we.

CinderellaLove2855.jpg

DiarySecrets2750Overstreetcopy.jpg

Teen-ageTemptations260.jpg

2. Al Williamson

The natural successor to Alex Raymond, Williamson arguably transcended his master to become the most complete artist comics have ever seen.

What I love above all is his ability to design a page so that it looks as beautiful as everything in it.

P1010077.jpg

His usage of spot blacks is masterful.

mis66bc002.jpg

mis66bc001.jpg

mis66bc003.jpg

mis66bc004.jpg

This one pretty much leaves me speechless!

AlWilliamsonFlashGordonSpread.jpg

Edited by alanna

So, before I get to my number one, I just thought I would briefly share the other artists who came close to joining my top ten and on a different day could well do so!

Harry Anderson

P1010005.jpg

lovejournal.jpg

George Evans

Can anyone post the two page spread by Evans in When Worlds Collide? I dont presently have a copy, but it is wonderful!

Reed Crandall

FlashGordon008-010.jpg

jcmend.jpg

Russ Heath

LornatheJungleGirl660.jpg

George Herriman

00133krazykat03.jpg

Mac Raboy

I will be honest and say that if I had any books by Raboy he would probably ease his way into my top ten with no difficulty. But I've never really been interested in golden age super hero books, dont know why.

Werner Roth

P1010001.jpg

Leonard Starr

P1010009.jpg

Ogden Whitney

RomanticAdventures5060.jpg

So here is my favourite golden age comic book artist and of all time:

1.Bill Everett

The most underrated artist in comics.

Why is Big Bill top of the pile for me? The answer is very simple - I enjoy his work more than any other. Explaining why is harder to define. His use of line is wonderfully supple. Although his style is somewhat mannered, it is nevertheless utterly convincing. His splash pages for the short lived Namora were sometimes gorgeous, full of an arabian nights exoticism.

Namora.jpg

Namora380CosmicAeroplane.jpg

Venus is among my very favourite comics, particularly #15 to #19.

Venus1550.jpg

Venus1650.jpg

Venus1760.jpg

venus_017_112.jpg

Venus1870.jpg

T_Weird_Wonder_Tales_017_Brigus_14.jpg

Venus1975.jpg

More on Everett in the next post!

Edited by alanna

Then I got to thinking about artists of latter days and which of them might seriously challenge for a spot in my top ten. In the end, four made my list, and one nearly so.

Firstly, here are the four who made my all time list:

Dave Stevens is one of the most talented artistrs who ever lived. A tragic loss.

RocketeerAdv1Cvr.jpg

Barry Smith

BarryWindsorSmith6.jpg

Mark Schultz

The last three issues of Xenozoic Tales contain the best black and white art ever created for a comic book.

XenozoicTales.jpg

schultzsp.jpg

Carmine Infantino/Murphy Anderson

Quite simply the best penciller/inker team ever - better than Buscema/Palmer, Colan/Palmer, Kirby/Sinnott, all of whom I hugely admire. But Infantino/Anderson were made for each other, and brought out each other's best qualities. I think they were better together than either on their own.

letterboxgrief.jpg

Honourable mention!

Wrightson? Nope!

Steranko? Nope!

Adams? Nope!

It's-

John Buscema/Alfredo Alcala

RoyThomasJohnBuscemaAlfredoAlcalTheSavageSwordofConan71975.jpg

Edited by alanna

So, finally, here is my all time list, including artists up to the present day:

1. Bill Everett

2. Al Williamson

3. Matt Baker

4. Alex Raymond

5. Lou Fine

6. Carmine Infantino/Murphy Anderson

7. Mark Schultz

8. Frank Frazetta

9. Barry Smith

10. Dave Stevens

Honourable mention:

John Buscema/Alfredo Alcala

Agree/disagree? Of course you disagree! So let's see your choices, and argue the toss!