• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horrorfind Weekend 13 thus far...now with pictures!

34 posts in this topic

Friday, made a lot of contacts. I was asked about writing for a large publisher and adapting a well known cult movie into a comic. Not holding my breath, but if it would come through, a day job would be a thing of the past for me.

Saturday, It was busy, from start to end, there must have been @3-5k walk through the door. Sold out of two titles on saturday and sold some books that haven't moved in amost a year. There was a lot of excitement this year with so many of us unknown up and coming writers. Did the majority of sales on saturday night, especially my meet and greet. This was amazing, i've never had so many people come up to me and just hand me money without me having to sell myself.

Sunday, Only thing redeeming on sunday was networking. i met a lot of established writers that were main attractions (and sat in on my first reading). No blowing smoke up my , but saying that i am really cool and i should come hang out with them (i can deal with that).

There were 3 comic dealers. One had gold-modern, one had modern and one had mostly bronze marvels and ec reprints.

the gold through modern dealer had 3 books i absolutely wanted, 2 timely's and a bats 7. the timelys were in the vg range with spine roll being the only drawback and offwhite and tan pages (cap 23 & all winners 6) and ow/w on the bats. the bats 7 looked FN, but the cover was detached, he gave me a dealer price of $350. In all i could have walked with all the books for $1k, i couldn't afford it since 1. my sales were soft due to lack of stock and 2. my wife was there with "i will divorce you and take the dog look in her eyes".

The modern dealer had basic cheap stuff at 50% off, nothing too memorable except for twisted tales.

The bronze dealer, was kind of strange since no celebrity there were tied to any of the titles.

I took a with Russ Streiner (Johnny from Night Of the Living Dead), he asked how the con was going for me and it just turned into a conversation at my table for about a half hour. Tried to get Julian Sands (Warlock) to give me some bits on the upcoming Girl With The Dragon Tattoo remake that he stars in with Daniel Craig. Bill Mosely was cool as ever, talking about how to get his daughter involved in roller derby. Scout Taylor-Compton is even hotter in real life, especially with her new pixie haircut. Dee Wallace prefers working with Rob Zombie over Steven Spielberg. William Sanderson (True Blood, The Bob Newhart Show) is going to work with the league in the future (he lives just a few minutes from us). Lisa Wilcox (Nightmare on Elm St 4) is really nice and kept winking at me (?), Roddy Piper is short. And Sid Haig even though he is 72, is really just a teenage boy at heart. We had a good conversation about how derby girls do it better than any other women out there...

Even though i didn't do as good this year as last, it's ok, just with the contacts i made, i could actaully make it as a writer on just those alone. I guess only time will tell.

and i do believe that i am now oversaturated in my home market. i saw a lot of people who already ahve all of my works and were disappointed that my next work wasn't ready in time ( my printer dropped the ball, really bad).

in total, sold out of 3 titles and i have 1 copy left of 2 other titles. all 5 were short prints and won't be reprinted again...