• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading the spine...

9 posts in this topic

What is the deal when grading the spine of a book? I am not talking about spine stress creases, but rather when the extreme edge of the spine where the front cover meets the back cover (usually in line with the staples) is slightly separated on the surface. If the waparound is black or dark, then you get a white line showing through because of the separation. I don't believe this is what is technically referred to as spine split, as it is only the surface of the paper which is affected. I have several magazines in my collection where this has happened, and it does not look like a handling or reading problem, as the magazines are otherwise absolutely pristine. It does however, IMO, take away a certain amount of eye appeal. I have noticed the same thing on many DVD folded inserts - it's almost as if the stress of folding the paper causes it to separate on the surface. I have seen several CGC graded magazines and comics that have achieved 9.4 and 9.6 grades with this fault present, and have purchased from reputable dealers and graders who have let this go in a high grade. I have never seen a 9.8 with the fault, however. I am guessing that graders do not count this as damage caused by handling and reading, which is why it gets by in 9.6. How do other collectors and grading experts among you view this?

I think what you are referring to is what I call "spine crack." (As opposed to crack tongue.gif)

Spine crack is when there is a light crack down the length of the spine where the spine was scored (folded) at the printer. This typically happens on coated (glossy)paperstock. It's worst on thicker weight paper.

I don't know how CGC handles this, or if there is a maximum grade allowable - but it is a printing defect and not the result of handling. IMO, it's almost impossible to find certain issues without the crack.

hi.gif

1) The spine area of a comic book is NOT the first eye-catcher by nature. Takes a second look and IMO the spine is overlooked a lot of the times by private collectors.

2) Squarebound comics need to be scrutinized more than what they are generally - this comment stems from my recent experiences with SILVER SURFER 1968 - 1969 issues 1 - 7( issues 8 - 18 were NOT squarebound contrary to some folks' beliefs). Many Sellers I bought them from claimed the spine was "perfect" when in fact they were not.

3) I have many NM+ 9.8 comics, a few that are Silver Age. NONE of them show any "spine cracks" that I can see.

4) I find many very minor, minute "flecks" and "chipping" on comic books - and if I can find them you bet CGC Graders can too.

Hope this helps some.

CAL hi.gif

I think what you are referring to is what I call "spine crack." (As opposed to crack tongue.gif)

Spine crack is when there is a light crack down the length of the spine where the spine was scored (folded) at the printer. This typically happens on coated (glossy)paperstock. It's worst on thicker weight paper.

I don't know how CGC handles this, or if there is a maximum grade allowable - but it is a printing defect and not the result of handling. IMO, it's almost impossible to find certain issues without the crack.

hi.gif

Funny, I just talked to one of the CGC graders about this during WonderCon. He said that CGC does mark down depending on the severity. A book with spine crack that is very, very minor can get a 10.0 (as demonstrated by the Ultimate FF #1 CGC 10.0s we've seen). If it is more than very, very minor, then the more there is, the more the grade is affected.

This defect is very common on Harbinger 1 and other Valiants from 1992ish. Many times, it runs the length of the entire spine. Unfortuately, books with this defect seem to be prone to really split at the top and bottom of the spine, even if they have not been opened.

My experience with getting these (full length spine cracking) graded says that for modern books, you are looking at 9.4 at best - with no split at top or bottom.

My experience with getting these (full length spine cracking) graded says that for modern books, you are looking at 9.4 at best - with no split at top or bottom

Respectfully disagree here. I would have to see some examples of these NM 9.4's w/ spine cracks - my experience is that such defects knock a comic( any age) to at LEAST NM- 9.2. Full length spine cracks to me are significant defects. If you could scan a few for us that would help a lot.

CAL hi.gif