• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody please tell me why March of Comics and Peter Wheat sold for $541?

28 posts in this topic

Lots of good points on the ages of comics. Comic book "ages" take their cue from societal ages: the bronze age, the iron age, etc. Each of these societal ages is marked by a distinct and significant development that made the new age quite different from the prior one. Therefore, when declaring a certain time period in comics to be an "age", it seems the era should be marked by a natural start/end point. Using that reasoning, Funnies on Parade certainly started an "age". As did Action #1. As did Showcase #4. But what exactly marked the end of the Silver Age? What started those later "ages" like Copper and Bronze? I'm not clear on what fundamental shift occurred in fandom or in the comic book industry to justify the creation of or the end of an "age". An age could have started with the beginning of the direct market. Or an age could have started with TMNT #1, which opened the floodgates for self-publishing in the industry (for good and for ill).* It seems to me that a true "age" should be self-evident. Attempts to create an "age" when none is readily apparent are, in my mind, unnecessary, and will always be the subject of debate.

[i apologize for writing this without my Overstreet in hand to review what the precise declarations of "ages" are. ]

The term "Golden Age" and "Silver Age" were originally specific referrants about superhero comics not comics generally. Action 1 and Showcase 4 only "started an age" if your focus is upon superhero comics. And, even then, there was very little evidence that a new "age" had started for a year or so after those publications appeared because it took awhile for the superhero trend to start and re-start. Using superhero comics to define all comics, doesn't make much sense when collectors now greatly appreciate non-superhero genres.

Frankly, based on reading these boards, I think the concept of "ages" really doesn't have much practical use anymore. It is far more informative to be told a comic dates to the 1930s than to be told it is "golden age."

Just found this thread looking for Peter Wheat, and as one of the three high bidders (but not the winner) on the 2nd and third lots, I can tell you that I was looking for the Peter Wheat issues. I consider guide absolutely worthless at this point for the books, and my bid (with some rounding) was figured based on just over $100 a book for the issues I actually NEED. Variant bakeries are nice in the couple of cases I've actually lucked into them, but they didn't drive my bidding.

I was very frustrated with the lots as they were; I would have much rather targeted higher bids at the specific issues I was missing.

Oh, if a publisher ever wants high resolution scans or to borrow the books for reprints, all they need to do is ask on any of the issues I do have. I would LOVE to see the material in print.

Oh, if a publisher ever wants high resolution scans or to borrow the books for reprints, all they need to do is ask on any of the issues I do have. I would LOVE to see the material in print.

It's always great when someone with this kind of expertise in a niche area joins the discussions. It is learning something new that makes it interesting to follow the boards. Before this thread, I didn't even know that Peter Wheat existed. Now I am curious to read the stories.

It's always great when someone with this kind of expertise in a niche area joins the discussions. It is learning something new that makes it interesting to follow the boards. Before this thread, I didn't even know that Peter Wheat existed. Now I am curious to read the stories.

Peter Wheat also was in a coloring book and activities books. Comics were similar to Spirit inserts but released in several formats.

Scans of some of the items are available at Golden Age Comics. I picked up a few comics in lots with other items.

6237053515_b15dc6f93f_z.jpg