• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tupenny Reviews Lee/Ditko ASM & Lee/Kirby FF

75 posts in this topic

How far are you in the ASMs?

As I have already completed these & taken them back to storage at my office, I am going to have to estimate the numbers.

The ASM Omnibus is 1100 pages & covers the complete Ditko run + annuals.

I know you're a Ditko fan. I don't care for Ditko's art, generally speaking. It is just too primitive. In this regard I am contemplating his figure work; which, for me, is the ultimate essential of all good art. I take little away from his interesting design work (like all his nutty, drop-acid, psychedelic Dr Strange stuff). However, I did come to appreciate his action sequences & his in-motion character poses. I now can see how he is responsible for so many classic Spidey poses. This complimentary observation of Ditko runs counter to my overall opinion of his figure work which I perceive as stiff, flat, & static. This being the mortal sin of a comic book artist -- boring. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was partially wrong. Yes, he is dull with his figures, generally; but, yes, he can also produce beautifully rendered cartoons of figures in all manner of crazy contortions & acrobatics. So, KUDOS to Ditko.

As for the classic Lee/Ditko ASM run, in the end I cared little to not at all for the villains or the super-heroics -- the fantasy elements, so to speak. I reckon Doc Ock came out on top but all this comic book stuff was disposable & too kid friendly for me. What I liked, in fact, really liked, was the soap opera stuff. All the interpersonal action & characterizations kept my interest. I found myself skimming dialog when Spidey was battling the Goblin & slowing down to dwell upon the dialog when Parker was quarreling with Betty.

I now know it went like this: Betty, Liz, Gwen, & MJ off-screen or face screened by a potted house plant. I enjoyed Parker, May, Flash, & there at the very end Harry. I took some but not much interest in JJJ. He was too cartoonish.

The whole Betty, Betty's deceased brother as casualty of the Spidey/Doc Ock battle, Liz, Flash, Parker/Spidey melodrama was very fun.

Gwen's duel hairpins were nice but I wish I could have seen her Romita headband.

The FF Omnibuses were about 800 pages each.

#1 was just horrible.

#2 got great early on. I can pinpoint it to the issue: This Man, This Monster (as well as the Dr Doom origin issue -- an annual I think). Kirby finally hit the modern John Byrne looking Thing character design in that issue. Something just seemed to click magically. Kirby went to fewer panels per page & more splash pages. His art really looked beautiful & for the first time I could see how the Buscema brothers were indeed Kirby clones (as the entire Marvel Bullpen was under editorial mandate to be during the SA & early BA to mid-BA). The colors were particularly appealing. The cosmic, sci-fi elements began to work & work well, convincingly even -- ya know, almost -- for a children's magazine. The Inhumans, the Negative Zone (proto-concept), Galactus/Surfer, Dr Doom's origin, Latveria, the Watcher -- this is the Marvel Universe!

Romita's Gwen Stacy headband look was revolutionary. It was a paradigm shift for the industry. I actually do not like the hairpins very much.

The headbanded Gwen Stacy was the next step in the world of GGA. In many ways, it was the last skirted, long-legged step in the world of GGA. Perhaps the last GGA essence was Kitty Pryde, as every Marvel woman since has been a top-heavy strumpet. Doing away with Ditko's 1950s, old-clunker of a wench look was monumental, to say the least.When Romita first unveiled the Gwen Stacy complete with said headband accessory to the world, it brought forth the essences of the educated, driven, classy, young cosmopolitan. The nouveau riche, which as you probably know, was the prequel to the Reagan-era "yuppy". At the time Romita didn't even know the significance that this social commentary had upon the world.

This topic is well deserving of its own dissertation by somebody.

Threadpenny should review his thread creation capabilities.

If I were Arch I would revoke his thread starting privileges for 1 week. But that might be what Tup is going for, and I would hate to give him what he wants.

Here is my review of Citizen Kane:

It was awful. I don't like the black and white, they could've really used some color. Also, everyone is dressed in old style fashions and the special effects were almost non existent. It was not what I expect in good movies.

I tried to make it thru Vol 1 & 2 Masterworks on the FF stuff. It was tough. They really didn't hit their stride until the 40's or so. Right around the Surfer intro. Series was alot better from that point on.

Spidey was a much "better" read for the early issues.

I tried to make it thru Vol 1 & 2 Masterworks on the FF stuff. It was tough. They really didn't hit their stride until the 40's or so. Right around the Surfer intro. Series was alot better from that point on.

Spidey was a much "better" read for the early issues.

For the first time in my life I have an affection for Ditko.

I must have always wanted Betty but was asleep at the wheel.