• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tupenny Reviews Lee/Ditko ASM & Lee/Kirby FF

75 posts in this topic

Here's my review of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs:

It's terrible. It feels like it was made for children and insults my intelligence. Also, the CGI really sucked.

Thanks for reading.

Your righteous indignation amuses me. You may continue.

The cleaners didn't properly launder my shirt. I shall OUT them in Dry Cleaners General over on the Dry Cleaners Society Message Boards but only after I've toyed with them anonymously for a day or two to rile-up the forum.

Here is my review of Citizen Kane:

It was awful. I don't like the black and white, they could've really used some color. Also, everyone is dressed in old style fashions and the special effects were almost non existent. It was not what I expect in good movies.

I saw it as a child. I must have been 8 years old. I really enjoyed it's sublime sophistication & the elaborate, deliberate use of visible ceilings.

Later, as an adult of about 30, I saw it again & my review then would have been a carbon copy of yours.

Which Dwarf was your fav?

Balin.

Did Balin wear a Gwen Stacy headband?

I believe I've just thought of a new business opportunity.

I tried to make it thru Vol 1 & 2 Masterworks on the FF stuff. It was tough. They really didn't hit their stride until the 40's or so. Right around the Surfer intro. Series was alot better from that point on.

Spidey was a much "better" read for the early issues.

I'm at work at the moment but from memory

25 and 26 hulk v thing , the avengers take over

39 and 40 and a blind man shall lead them

35 dragon man

36 frighful four

All good stuff

It's terrible. It feels like it was made for children and insults my intelligence. Also, the CGI really sucked.

Thanks for reading.

Okay, here is a slightly more sober reply to your critique of my review:

Does a work’s for-children target audience status make it above reproach by an adult reviewer? That is, if a work is written for children, does that mean it can’t suck to an adult reader?

Some children’s books suck to both the children & adults who read them. Some are wonders. For example, The Giving Tree is one of the best works of fiction I have ever read.

Is it invalid for an adult reviewer of a work written for children to say: “All this [children’s] stuff was disposable & too kid friendly for me”? Or is the adult reviewer obligated to his readers to qualify that by saying: “However, I’m sure it is deserving of a child’s love & appreciation”? Or should I have added this: “What I didn’t like about the few early ASM’s I read in reprint as a 10 year old are all the same things I didn’t like this time at 41.”

I loved the Ditko Spideys as a child. I read them in the paperbacks, like Charlie Brown and the Wizard of Id. They felt like comic strips almost. I think I liked them so much because Peter was younger than he was in the contemporary comics, by four or five years, which to an 8 year old seemed like a big difference.

I loved the Ditko Spideys as a child. I read them in the paperbacks, like Charlie Brown and the Wizard of Id. They felt like comic strips almost. I think I liked them so much because Peter was younger than he was in the contemporary comics, by four or five years, which to an 8 year old seemed like a big difference.

As a child, the most difficult thing I had with them was Ditko's art. I just couldn't find a way to like it.

I finally feel more well-rounded in my art appreciation education now that I have learned to appreciate Ditko as a result of having read 1100 pages of his art.

Thanks for reading.

Okay, here is a slightly more sober reply to your critique of my review:

Does a work’s for-children target audience status make it above reproach by an adult reviewer? That is, if a work is written for children, does that mean it can’t suck to an adult reader?

Some children’s books suck to both the children & adults who read them. Some are wonders. For example, The Giving Tree is one of the best works of fiction I have ever read.

Is it invalid for an adult reviewer of a work written for children to say: “All this [children’s] stuff was disposable & too kid friendly for me”? Or is the adult reviewer obligated to his readers to qualify that by saying: “However, I’m sure it is deserving of a child’s love & appreciation”? Or should I have added this: “What I didn’t like about the few early ASM’s I read in reprint as a 10 year old are all the same things I didn’t like this time at 41.”

My point is that you shouldn't judge the great works of yesterday through the lens of now. These things should be judged in context. Forbidden Planet's special effects look pretty cheesy by todays standards, but for 1956 they looked really spiffy.