• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reality check on 2 high end books

33 posts in this topic

Sorry if I offended anyone (in retrospect it was not the best way to get my point across over on CPG), but people were in enough disagreement about the CPG grading that I wanted to get more people over there to weigh in. Is it a 7.5 or a 9.2? That's all I want to know. If I have made myself unwelcome to post books for sale here, I will respect that.

So, Seanfigh: You don't think those books are high grade. Do you think they are as low as a 7.5?

Sorry if I offended anyone (in retrospect it was not the best way to get my point across over on CPG), but people were in enough disagreement about the CPG grading that I wanted to get more people over there to weigh in. Is it a 7.5 or a 9.2? That's all I want to know. If I have made myself unwelcome to post books for sale here, I will respect that.

So, Seanfigh: You don't think those books are high grade. Do you think they are as low as a 7.5?

I don't think they are high end. I don't think either of them sell for more than $40 raw or $300 in CGC 9.8. zzz

I was expecting a More Fun 52 or at least an Avengers 1.

I don't think they are high end. I don't think either of them sell for more than $40 raw or $300 in CGC 9.8. zzz

I was expecting a More Fun 52 or at least an Avengers 1.

I should have said high grade not high end in the post title. Sorry for the mistake.

Those people at CPG don't know sheit.

The Defenders is a 9.2 book

However there are more spine ticks on the Spidey,and give it an 8.5/9.0

9.2 on the Defenders, 9.0 on the PPSSM.

Anybody who would give either of these books a 7.0 is either planning to offer to buy them on the cheap, or doesn't know jack-all about grading. I'd be curious to hear how they figure what defects would be allowed for each of the 9 grades between 7.0 and 10.0. Even if you believe as I do that there are only two legitimate grades above NM that's a long way to fall for the number of defects.

Invaders #1:

invaders12.jpg

By higgsboson70 at 2011-09-18

lol

I don't think anyone at CPG saw the "Defenders" comic posted... so kudos to them for that.

:foryou:

There was no Defenders. They mistakenly referred to the Invaders #1 as Defenders. I don't have a Defenders #1 and only the Spectacular spiderman and Invaders were posted here so it was clear the posters here meant Invaders since there were only the 2 books posted here. I made a post on CGC that quoted some not so nice remarks without their permission. That was wrong. Look at all my post on CPG and here. I've never made a post that was ever misleading or an insult to someone else. I did cross the line by posting other people's insults on another board. I'm sorry. Believe it or not I'm a pretty good guy, 100% honest and upfront in all my dealings (which is reason I am here trying to improve my grading skills so I can make sure not to over grade anything I sell, like the vast majority of sellers out there. I sell in order to buy. I've been a collector since I was 7. Now that I'm married with 2 kids I can't afford to add to my collection without selling to pay for the big issues I want (Flash 105, an upgrade on my Brave and the Bold 28 and showcase 22, Avengers 1 (but I'll wait until after the movie for the prices to come back down after the non collector speculative frenzy is over) otherwise my wife would go ballistic (and she has a black belt in Aikido, while I have a black belt in laziness).

There was no Defenders. They mistakenly referred to the Invaders #1 as Defenders. I don't have a Defenders #1.

I know. I thought it was funny that enough attention to detail went into offering you up a grade (enough so that it warranted insulting another member another website) but absolutely no attention went into looking at the title of the comic book being questioned.

lol It's still funny.

There was no Defenders. They mistakenly referred to the Invaders #1 as Defenders. I don't have a Defenders #1.

I know. I thought it was funny that enough attention to detail went into offering you up a grade (enough so that it warranted insulting another member another website) but absolutely no attention went into looking at the title of the comic book being questioned.

lol It's still funny.

I'm glad someone else finds the humor here. Personally I wouldn't have been offended if some posted my remarks on another board. Of course I've never written a post than insulted someone else. If you you're willing to throw out insults you should at least be willing to get them back, right?

Any back to topic. I'm even more confused about grading these books then before. Should the Invaders really be knocked down to a 7.5 because of the tiny crease on the top right corner? I have to save that issue for the NYC comcon and take it for a grade screening at least.

you are asking if that book is a 7.5 after just about everyone that posted here think it is a 9.2? do you think none of us see that little flaw at the top corner?

here is a 9.0 I pulled from my collection....what do you think about the spine and corner of your book compared to this one? It helps to examining a lot of slabs in hands closely in my opinion if you don't want to learn it the hard way like I did and sub a lot of books and waste money that way.

scan022.jpg

I think this kind of confusion probably stems from a very literal reading of grading rules. A color-breaking corner crease should 'in theory' limit a book to VF or below, which is likely where this fellow is getting 7.5 from. But the corner flaw on this book is barely, barely even a crease... I'd consider it more of a corner bump or a slight impact, on an otherwise immaculate book. 9.0/9.2 range seems just right.

you are asking if that book is a 7.5 after just about everyone that posted here think it is a 9.2? do you think none of us see that little flaw at the top corner?

here is a 9.0 I pulled from my collection....what do you think about the spine and corner of your book compared to this one? It helps to examining a lot of slabs in hands closely in my opinion if you don't want to learn it the hard way like I did and sub a lot of books and waste money that way.

scan022.jpg

That's a great example. It even has some ticks on the spine. Do you mind if I post this on the CGC forum to open up the discussion there on how accurately they are grading?

I've learned my lesson, not going to quote someone on another forum without their permission.

I've learned my lesson, not going to quote someone on another forum without their permission.

The lesson seems to be missed... still. The problem wasn't the quoting, it was the instigating, purposely, and with pride in attempting to do so, that I personally have/had a problem with.

You might be one of the honest ones, higgsboson, but CPG is and has been plagued with those who are not as honest. I liked the CPG boards when selling on them was NOT allowed, imo it was a much more friendly board. Now, since it is basically unmoderated and plaqued with software "hiccups", it is basically a Dead Zone with 5-6 regular posters... all of whom I consider my friends, which is why I took a dislike to your "instigating".

This site (CGC) has much more traffic, is well moderated (by actual moderators and members who know the signs when something is fishy), and the members here throw around big time money because they know, for the most part, they are safe and others have their back if needed. In other words, this is a great site to learn from, but not a place to mess around in. Not when you're new.