• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's build the essential bronze reading list

62 posts in this topic

Jonah Hex - All-Star Western 10, 11, Weird Western Tales 12 to 14, 16 to 38, Jonah Hex 1 up (until when? NEED NUMBERS), Jonah Hex Spectacular (DC Special Series 16)

Fleisher wrote the (eponymous) Jonah Hex title beginning to end, 1 to 92.

In the thread we are discussing great reading material. I've only read the first Showcase reprint book, so I don't know if Fleisher remained consistent or ran out of steam at some point. I'll have to leave the cut off to someone else who's a more long-term Jonah Hex fan.

Marc (House of Comics) could advise you here. (thumbs u

Starlin Greatness - Iron Man #55, Captain Marvel 25-34, Death of Captain Marvel Graphic Novel, Strange Tales #178-181, Warlock #9-15, Marvel Team-Up #55, Avengers Annual #7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2

There's another strong addition to the Jim Starlin section...

Metamorphosis Odyssey, serialised in Epic Illustrated 1 to 9, then continued in 'The Price' GN.

Just about gets in at the very top edge of your BA limit. (1981)

Superman from about 300-340

School me fingh, what's so great about these?

There were some great storylines. A Parasite arc that was a great, a Kandor arc that was great, the purple splotchy disease arc scared the whizz out of me as a seven year old. There was a bad guy called "Amalek" or something like that was really scary. It is another series that may not age well, because I haven't read it since I was 10. But I remember really enjoying it.

Me too.

I re-read it earlier this year, and I still think it's great.

Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck comics...

- Fear 19 (cameo first appearance)

- Giant-Size Man-Thing 4, 5

- Howard the Duck 1 to 27, 29

- Howard the Duck Annual 1

- Marvel Treasury Edition 12 (also counts as a Gerber Defenders book)

Now, which Kirby title to choose?

Loaded question. :fear:

The board's conventional wisdom is that Kirby's 1970s work sucks, but I'm one of the biggest Fourth World advocates around.

So I'll nominate a big chunk of the series as essential bronze reading:

Jimmy Olsen #133-#138, #147, #148

Forever People #1-#8, #11

New Gods #1 - #11

Mr. Miracle #1 - #10, #18

Hey, Zonker, I remember your passion for the New Gods stuff, and I kinda figured you'd jump in with those comics.

But surely something else can be added? I'm split between Kamandi and the Demon.

But surely something else can be added? I'm split between Kamandi and the Demon.

I was thinking about suggesting Kamandi 1 to 20 (at least).

Very enjoyable when I read them in Archive edition format. (thumbs u

Master Of Kung Fu #29-51 :sumo:

The rest of the series is amazing, as well, with some spectacular art by Mike Zeck and Gene Day, but I think this run (with Paul Gulacy as the regular penciller) is the title's peak and one the 4-5 best bronze Marvel comics.

Now, which Kirby title to choose?

Loaded question. :fear:

The board's conventional wisdom is that Kirby's 1970s work sucks, but I'm one of the biggest Fourth World advocates around.

So I'll nominate a big chunk of the series as essential bronze reading:

Jimmy Olsen #133-#138, #147, #148

Forever People #1-#8, #11

New Gods #1 - #11

Mr. Miracle #1 - #10, #18

Hey, Zonker, I remember your passion for the New Gods stuff, and I kinda figured you'd jump in with those comics.

I thought the Demon never lived up to its potential. #1 and #2 were great, but I can't remember much of anything that followed.

Kamandi had its moments. Probably up to #16 (that was the kinda, sorta secret origin of the Great Disaster, as I recall)