• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC SS database?

47 posts in this topic

Just playing devil's advocate here. All the really rare signatures are well known, and the approximate numbers are well published - Mazzuchelli, Kieth, Moore, Byrne, etc.

Lots of others that have been tougher are pretty easy to estimate as well.

So that leaves us with the most common sigs. Does it really matter whether there are 25,000 Jim Lees or 30,000?

If the issue is trying to know how many of each specific book each creator signed, that would be pretty daunting, and borderline impossible.

Interesting idea though, and one I would support if it could be done reasonably.

So if I was able to finish a working website would there be any people willing to chip in for the cost of a web hosting account?

I look at my university account, I have a webspace...we could use this one. Don't think they mind about the traffic.

Only thing I have to look is, how much space I have.

Ok, I have a 250mb webspace at my university (with, I think, unlimited traffic). If we need more I could ask, if it is possible to get more.

Pictures could be uploaded to flickr and linked to the Page. Have a account and an iPhoto plugin, that automatically uploads the pics to this flickr-account.

Just playing devil's advocate here. All the really rare signatures are well known, and the approximate numbers are well published - Mazzuchelli, Kieth, Moore, Byrne, etc.

As a relative newcomer to the SS addiction where would one find this type of "well-published" information? Plus, if you care about individual books, or even titles, that have examples signed by particular creators, that sort of more specific information is key. I am working on SS for ASM, for example, so if someone like Byrne has never signed a pre-reboot ASM at any time I may be SOL.

As a relative newcomer to the SS addiction where would one find this type of "well-published" information? Plus, if you care about individual books, or even titles, that have examples signed by particular creators, that sort of more specific information is key. I am working on SS for ASM, for example, so if someone like Byrne has never signed a pre-reboot ASM at any time I may be SOL.

By well-published, I mean on here. There was just recently a Byrne thread where one of the formers verified the exact number done at the only Byrne signing. In the Kieth and Moore threads it was stated pretty clearly the approximate numbers done. Maybe not exact, but within 5 or 6 books of the exact total. Which is pretty good for figuring out rarity.

You can do searches for just about any major creator and find threads with pictures and lots of information.

Your point is well taken as it relates to specific books, but that is where i think this project has its toughest challenge - How do you get people to submit the information on the books that they have?

By well-published, I mean on here. There was just recently a Byrne thread where one of the formers verified the exact number done at the only Byrne signing. In the Kieth and Moore threads it was stated pretty clearly the approximate numbers done. Maybe not exact, but within 5 or 6 books of the exact total. Which is pretty good for figuring out rarity.

You can do searches for just about any major creator and find threads with pictures and lots of information.

Your point is well taken as it relates to specific books, but that is where i think this project has its toughest challenge - How do you get people to submit the information on the books that they have?

Hopefully they do it by themselves...But I think, in the beginning there is a lot of type in by helpers from this forum.

That makes sense, and eventually I will get around to using the search function and checking those threads out. I just asked because you brought it up. In any event, those types of threads would help get this sort of tabulation of populations/creator numbers started.

As for submitting on the books that they have, it would be up to the individual. Without some way to mine the data CGC has there would be no way to get that information other than voluntarily. I would imagine that plenty of collectors would not mind sharing (and would even shout from the rooftops) but others are more private about their books for a number of reasons, which is also fine. Any database is only as good as the data, and if the data is incomplete because people don't want to volunteer the information on their books then this database may turn out to be pretty useless. But I do think it is worth a try to see how good it could be, I just wonder about the time committment aside from the webspace that an undertaking like this will demand. Without being paid very few people can keep up this sort of all-encompassing labor of love for long.