• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm giving up. The scammer gets off.

51 posts in this topic

What comes around goes around and someday he'll get his.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But not today, apparently. Or any day, until someone actually gets off his [!@#%^&^] and does something about him.

There's too many of them and I'm tired of being punched in the head.

CRC

BassMan

I would like to state here that a LOT of us here on this Forum have been ripped-off. I know you lost a substantial amount of money here and for that I feel bad for you. However, to completely give up on the Comic Book Hobby because of a jerk like that is like giving up on women because one lied to you or worse.

Of course you are, I presume, an adult and can make your own decisions I would just like to point out the positie things about collecting comic books and maybe influence you back the other way.

The fun in the Hobby is finding the Issues you had when you were a boy. Sort of re-living your childhood again. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe it is fun to keep reading the modern and current comic books, just because you like to read them. Nothing wrong with that.

Those Forum Dinners are always a fun time for everyone, and attending the Cons is always fun. Plenty to see and do, and meeting the Forum Members and CGC Staff was great. Sure, a few Forum Members still have our differences but as long as they are handled properly, it is OK. We are all adults, even sometimes we don't always act like adults, me included. Bottom line is that people CAN get along and share the Hobby of Comic Books and that is fun.

Me personally? I did not let the few bad apples out there stop my quest for comic books. Sure, I have my ups and downs like everyone else and have good days and some really bad ones, but we are all people and need to overcome the obstacles that the bad ones throw at us. And try our best not to become a bad one just because "someone else did it to me" so it is OK to do it to someone else. It is NOT OK for me, but everyone else has to answer that for themselves.

Your case does put one more straw in the CGC barrel: this very case of yours further justifies WHY CGC stared grading and encapsulating comic books - it eliminates the uncertainty of what the comic you are buying really is. CGC will find the amateur and professional restoration. They found it on a few of the comics I bought at the Cons and eBay. CGC did what they get paid to do. Had you found this ASM # 1 CGC 7.0, or whatever grade, 5.0, etc. and you spent the same amount of money, you would not be going through this right now.

In closing, do some real soul-searching within yourself and ask that Q: "Should I give the Comic Book Hobby one more try? Can I put this one bad experience behind me and give it another chance?" Then look in the mirror and the eyes reflecting back will have your answer.

CAL hi.gif

Yeesh. File Copy? What File Copy? The Steve Fishler Asscrack File Copy?

By the way, sorry buddy, but I couldn't give it a FN 6.0 with that monster crease, especially with what looks like some minor spine wear. Bummer about that book. sorry.gif

oh BTW, he advertised it as a "file copy" mad.gif

it's hard grading book(s) by a scan, if you saw this book in person the gloss looked dripping wet on this book. shocked.gif sorry but the grade given is accurate blush.gif in other words....so much for your opinion. 27_laughing.gif

I find near-perfect books with one crease of varying lengths to be an interesting grading example, and I've got a few scans saved, although none below 7.0 at the moment (the 7.0 example has about a 3.5" to 4" crease). I've definitely seen one or two CGC 6.5 books that were a lot like this Strange Tales you posted.

Are you saying he's a better grader than I am? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Detached impartiality! It's the secret to discovery, whether it be in grading a comic or judging a trial. angel.gif

I find near-perfect books with one crease of varying lengths to be an interesting grading example, and I've got a few scans saved, although none below 7.0 at the moment (the 7.0 example has about a 3.5" to 4" crease). I've definitely seen one or two CGC 6.5 books that were a lot like this Strange Tales you posted.

It's a tough call to make. The grading guide says that you can't have a crease that size in FN, yet it seems unfair to call an otherwise perfect book anything less if the only defect is the one long crease. In the end, I would give it a lower grade simply because the guide says that this size defect isn't allowed in the FN grade.

What is a much easier call, however, is saying that Fishler fooked up when he said the book was NM. 27_laughing.gif

It's a tough call to make. The grading guide says that you can't have a crease that size in FN, yet it seems unfair to call an otherwise perfect book anything less if the only defect is the one long crease. In the end, I would give it a lower grade simply because the guide says that this size defect isn't allowed in the FN grade.

This is THE biggest problem with the grading guide; the criteria mislead you when an otherwise high grade book has one or two defects uncharacteristic of the grade. A 10.0 could have a coupon clipped, and going straight by the guide, it's a 1.0.

BUT...if you go by the WHOLE guide, the guide says you can't always go by the guide right on the first page (pg 126) of the grading section! I've always thought that piece was a bit of a cop-out that a perfectly strict guide would leave out and replace with much more exhaustive criteria, but ah well, it's still the best printed work on the subject ever published.

Cal, thanks but I am most definitely NOT giving up on comics. I am more into them now than ever and my recent trip to Wondercon including the forum dinner increased my desire to submerge into this hobby even more. After this scam took place I was just so disgusted for a while that I stopped buying anything but cheap books. I am back up to full power now and as usual spending more than I should. A much more skeptical shopper now though for sure.

FantasyFB, yes I have scans of the book in question before and after CGC grading that I can e-mail to anybody that wants them for posting or whatever. I have not yet figured out how to post scans on the boards myself. I tried unsuccessfully a few times. If somebody wants to PM me their e-mail I'll send the scans. I guess they are large files, or at least saved on a large format. Like I said, I am not all that tech-literate.

Again, like I said if this guy wanted to fight me on this I don't think that I can prove that the copy he sent me WAS the copy he sent me. He describes it in the listing in far better condition than it is, and the scan (no longer available on Ebay but I did print it out) is no help. What I am trying to say is that my proof of the APP 4.5 book cannot be proved as the same book that I purchased through him. That's the problem. Fantasy, am I right? I'm not the expert but that is what I have come up with in part in trying to decide if I should proceed or not. I don't want to waste the time and effort if I don't think I can win. -----Sid

Cal, thanks but I am most definitely NOT giving up on comics. I am more into them now than ever and my recent trip to Wondercon including the forum dinner increased my desire to submerge into this hobby even more. After this scam took place I was just so disgusted for a while that I stopped buying anything but cheap books. I am back up to full power now and as usual spending more than I should. A much more skeptical shopper now though for sure.

FantasyFB, yes I have scans of the book in question before and after CGC grading that I can e-mail to anybody that wants them for posting or whatever. I have not yet figured out how to post scans on the boards myself. I tried unsuccessfully a few times. If somebody wants to PM me their e-mail I'll send the scans. I guess they are large files, or at least saved on a large format. Like I said, I am not all that tech-literate.

Again, like I said if this guy wanted to fight me on this I don't think that I can prove that the copy he sent me WAS the copy he sent me. He describes it in the listing in far better condition than it is, and the scan (no longer available on Ebay but I did print it out) is no help. What I am trying to say is that my proof of the APP 4.5 book cannot be proved as the same book that I purchased through him. That's the problem. Fantasy, am I right? I'm not the expert but that is what I have come up with in part in trying to decide if I should proceed or not. I don't want to waste the time and effort if I don't think I can win. -----Sid

Sid:

Your word and the book itself is all the proof you need in court (although backup documents such as proof of payment are also typically required). If the judge believes George Manos (which is unlikely, because if you file a small claims suit in Washington, chances are Manos won't appear and you'll win by default) then you're screwed. But if you call the cops or the postal authorities or the FBI, they'll investigate and the problem will probably resolve itself without you needing to file a lawsuit.

Email me the pics at sbonagof@aol.com and I'll post them for you.

Hey Sid

I'm sure you gave it your best shot, and although some might see it as an attempt for you to rile-up sympathy, I was one of the people who asked that Sid kept us updated on the matter. As a matter of fact, it is IMO that sub-vermin spume like the one Sid had been burned by should be dragged through the mud, and publicly vilified for doing the things they do. How many of you ask members to post eBay sellers or bidders id's whenever they talk about being scammed, or mistreated, to in effect help yourselves in the way of avoidance? Why would any of you [!@#%^&^] on Sid's head in his attempts to do the same?

As far as I'm concerned, Sid posting about this has helped me, and provided me with the opportunity to protect myself against scumbag like the one who committed fraud against him. And as self-indulgent as some of you may think it might be, I look at it as a personal form of protest that arms other collectors with awareness, and perhaps might work in the way of helping others become more vigilante against this type of decietful behaviour in the hobby. In a sense, to prevent newbie collectors, or one's who have decided to come back to the hobby after a long absscence, from being scammed by known frauds. Interestingly enough, I have never heard this name, nor have I ever heard the name associated to any people I should avoid, and I've been in the hobby for quite some time.

As for giving the hobby a break -- it might not be such a bad idea to take a step back, and maybe in doing so, you might find new reasons to come back to it someday. Take good care. hi.gif

Sid:

Your word and the book itself is all the proof you need in court (although backup documents such as proof of payment are also typically required). If the judge believes George Manos (which is unlikely, because if you file a small claims suit in Washington, chances are Manos won't appear and you'll win by default) then you're screwed. But if you call the cops or the postal authorities or the FBI, they'll investigate and the problem will probably resolve itself without you needing to file a lawsuit.

FFB, thanks I just e-mailed you four large scans. the fornt and back both before and after slabbing.

Hmmm, interesting. Shows how much I know. It never occured to me that a judge could just believe me. I thought that I had to prove beyond reasonable doubt in order to win my case. I have everything from all the e-mails we exchanged, copies of the Ebay listing, original packaging material, money order receipt (for payment), USPS shipping receipt, basically everything. I just cannot prove that it is the same book he sent me. It is of course but the judge (or whoever) would have to take my word on that. But with all my documentation I think that final piece will most logically fit right in.

I'm not trying to get any free legal advice Scott and I appreciate all the tips you and others have already given me, but could you tell me how to approach and report this guy to his hometown police or postal service or FBI? I realize there are many different divisions and departments and all that. Any specifics would help. Then I can start calling around and maybe get this ball rolling again.

And here I thought it was now done and over with. What is it Pacino said in one of the Godfather movies? Something like "I try to get out and they just pull me back in". Anyway, thanks for the support guys. ------Sid

If the judge believes George Manos (which is unlikely, because if you file a small claims suit in Washington, chances are Manos won't appear and you'll win by default) then you're screwed.

I figured you'd have to file the suit in the state where the scumbag lives. Can you really do it in your own state? I have no idea, but I've wondered for quite a while. I noticed someone earlier in the thread was under the impression Sid would have to file in Connecticutt.

Here are the scans of the book. The color touch/pieces added/tear seals are OBVIOUS from the scans. Yowtch!!!

ASM1RawFront.jpg

ASM1RawBack.jpg

ASM1FC.jpg

ASM1FCb.jpg

ASM1BC.jpg

Sid:

FFB, thanks I just e-mailed you four large scans. the fornt and back both before and after slabbing.

Hmmm, interesting. Shows how much I know. It never occured to me that a judge could just believe me. I thought that I had to prove beyond reasonable doubt in order to win my case. I have everything from all the e-mails we exchanged, copies of the Ebay listing, original packaging material, money order receipt (for payment), USPS shipping receipt, basically everything. I just cannot prove that it is the same book he sent me. It is of course but the judge (or whoever) would have to take my word on that. But with all my documentation I think that final piece will most logically fit right in.

I'm not trying to get any free legal advice Scott and I appreciate all the tips you and others have already given me, but could you tell me how to approach and report this guy to his hometown police or postal service or FBI? I realize there are many different divisions and departments and all that. Any specifics would help. Then I can start calling around and maybe get this ball rolling again.

And here I thought it was now done and over with. What is it Pacino said in one of the Godfather movies? Something like "I try to get out and they just pull me back in". Anyway, thanks for the support guys. ------Sid

Sid:

If it was sent through the mail, here is the mail fraud info you need:

Postal Fraud information -- click link at bottom of page after reading.

Mail Fraud Complaint Online Form

Contact your local Postal Inspector's Office

The FBI also has an internet fraud center:

FBI Internet Fraud Complaint Center

By the way -- THIS WILL WORK FOR ANY INTERNET FRAUD BY EBAY SELLERS WHO MISREPRESENT THEIR GOODS TO ANY OF YOU, NOT JUST SID.

This should get you started, Sid.

Also, FYI -- in a civil lawsuit, you do not need to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt." The standard of proof is "a preponderance of the evidence," which means "more likely than not" that what you allege is true. If "beyond a reasonable doubt" means that it is 90% likely that someone did something, "a preponderance of the evidence" means that it is 51% likely that the person did what was alleged. With all of your backup materials, your email chains, and your CGC graded comic with OBVIOUS restoration, you have an excellent claim. And you absolutely CAN prove it's the same book he sent. All you have to do is testify under oath that this is the case. That should be enough proof, especially with your backup documentation.

When you fill out the FBI form and Postal Inspector forms, make sure you describe in detail all of the evidence you have.

Yup. Those are the scans, thanks FFB. Please be advised that those are my own scans before and after slabbing. The scan in George Matos' listing was very poor. And fuzzy enough to cover these blemishes. None of this detail could be seen in the Ebay listing. Sorry for sending FFB such large scans that are distorting this thread. I need to figure out how to scan images in a smaller format. foreheadslap.gif

Thanks for the kind words Comicwiz. You gave me some great ideas initially and I have kept your PMs. I did report this guy to the online authorities that you suggested. -----Sid