• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

I have been playing guitar for almost 20yrs and there is nothing EVH has recorded I cannot play, yet there is a ton that Randy recorded (much less body of work mind you) that I and many other guitarists cannot play CORRECTLY.

I think the word CORRECTLY makes the point.

Jimmy Page is considered one of the greatest Rock guitarists of all time but he was as sloppy a player as you could have.

Eddie and jimmy almost never played the same solo twice.

Randy could play on stage exactly what he played in the studio, because his focus was on technique not flash.

Eddie was raucous, loud, fast and wild.

Randy was perfect.

This is my favourite Randy solo.

I hate posting before I finish reading the thread.

Anyways, Ozzy had one more album in his contract that he wanted out of. They wanted it to be a live album and he did not want to release any Rhoads material, so they went on tour just doing Sabbath songs to make Speak of the Devil to fullfill the contract.

BTW Ozzy said Gillis learned Rhoads material and played it perfectly in a matter of weeks. That says alot because back in 1982 the only guitarist on earth who could even stand in Rhoads shadow was EVH and he really wasn't all that.

Maybe Ozzy was just being kind to Gillis by saying these things.

I appreciate Randy Rhodes, but he's just a pimple on EVH's butt.

doh!

No way.

Eddie was a blues guitarist. Randy was a Classical one.

Randy made it a point to take guitar lessons while on the road touring by looking up guitar teachers ahead of time in all the cities they stopped in.

The two are difficult to compare but I'd choose Randy over Eddie any day of the week.

;)

Eddie cut his teeth learning Clapton, but he was the first to really bring classical into rock guitar. Not only did he break that genre wide open, but his range of technique was just breathtaking. Randy's body of work is tiny compared to his. And Eddie's playing is just so seamless and colored. I admit it's lacking in the emotion department (Hendrix blows him away there), but VH was always more about sex than love. At least until Hagar came in.

Back up the bus. Steve Howe/Yes was playing classical influences while Eddie was still Cutting his teeth.

and Mike & the Mechanics? Ugh. You guys like Glass Tiger and Extreme, too? M&M, softer than a baby's tuchus. they would have fit right in with the Wyndham Hill catalouge.

hey i've seen metallica and godsmack in concert multiply times. I've also seen the police and would have got tickets to Michael Jackson's last tour if he hadn't past away. I have a wide taste in music, that means even the soft mess.

I have been playing guitar for almost 20yrs and there is nothing EVH has recorded I cannot play, yet there is a ton that Randy recorded (much less body of work mind you) that I and many other guitarists cannot play CORRECTLY.

Jimmy Page is considered one of the greatest Rock guitarists of all time but he was as sloppy a player as you could have.

Randy could play on stage exactly what he played in the studio, because his focus was on technique not flash.

Randy was perfect.

:baiting:

I think that is Gillis not Randy on stage

Randy was perfect.

:baiting:

I think that is Gillis not Randy on stage

I agree. Gillis is a terrific studio player, though.

Roy. Wiping egg off his face from his earlier brain fart.

Yeah Gillis is great.

I love Bark at the Moon, in fact I have a limited edition Ozzy doll that plays Bark at the Moon when you scratch his tummy.......... But Jake E. Lee was not the best guitarist, Ozzy would have been better to keep Gillis until Wylde grew up and finished high school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_i87aN1zug

Watch this, I believe this was before Blizzard of Oz was even released. So not much playing time, or practice.

This after hours show is the greatest footage of Randy on youtube!

i love Jakes solos...he was very fluid.

that clip is awesome. It shows how much effort Randy put into every note to make it perfect. He was a true musician and not just a guitarist to me.

It's so difficult to recreate that feedback and harmonic squawks in a studio so perfectly and here he is doing it live!

Love it.

Eddie Van Halen learned to play the piano as a child. To infer that he didn't have a knowledge of musical scales seems very questionable.

In fact his two handed tapping technique, which influenced a generation of guitarists, including Randy Rhodes, comes from playing the piano and having a great knowledge of musical scale.

Van Halen changed the face of hard rock three years before Randy's debut record with Ozzy.

In fact, on VH's first tour they opened for Black Sabbath and blew them away night after night. As messed up as Ozzy was at the time, it's not inconceivable that he saw the future of hard rock and went out and found his own Southern California guitar god when he went solo.

Before that no one was lining up to sign those bands to recording contracts.

People can say what they want about Eddie, his place in the history of rock and the history of guitar is secure. No need to downplay his role to make Randy sound better, Randy's place is secure as well.

Randy Rhodes kicked AZZ.

He stands on his own as one of the outstanding guitar players, and who knows what he might have been capable of if he would have lived.

I hate posting before I finish reading the thread.

Anyways, Ozzy had one more album in his contract that he wanted out of. They wanted it to be a live album and he did not want to release any Rhoads material, so they went on tour just doing Sabbath songs to make Speak of the Devil to fullfill the contract.

BTW Ozzy said Gillis learned Rhoads material and played it perfectly in a matter of weeks. That says alot because back in 1982 the only guitarist on earth who could even stand in Rhoads shadow was EVH and he really wasn't all that.

Maybe Ozzy was just being kind to Gillis by saying these things.

I appreciate Randy Rhodes, but he's just a pimple on EVH's butt.

doh!

No way.

Eddie was a blues guitarist. Randy was a Classical one.

Randy made it a point to take guitar lessons while on the road touring by looking up guitar teachers ahead of time in all the cities they stopped in.

The two are difficult to compare but I'd choose Randy over Eddie any day of the week.

;)

Eddie cut his teeth learning Clapton, but he was the first to really bring classical into rock guitar. Not only did he break that genre wide open, but his range of technique was just breathtaking. Randy's body of work is tiny compared to his. And Eddie's playing is just so seamless and colored. I admit it's lacking in the emotion department (Hendrix blows him away there), but VH was always more about sex than love. At least until Hagar came in.

When EVH was "cutting his teeth on Clapton" he had no idea what a pentatonic scale was. He did not even know how to play a guitar, he only copied things he seen and heard. At that same time, Randy was a teacher of classical guitar at his families very prestigious music school (when he was 16yrs old). Randy formed Quiet Riot at the age of 17 and was already doing the things that made EVH famous in the years to come.

In the late 70's EVH was not a very good guitarist he was simply doing triplet pull off's in a sequential manner.........and that was never heard of in main stream music.

There are 3 guitarist in the worl that have truly redefined the guitar: Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman and Randy Rhoads.

Sounds like she has it down....