• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Western Penn Beauty!

28 posts in this topic

Maybe it's my perception, but it seems to be regarded as the red headed stepchild of the pedigree world. I always assumed it's because there are so many multiples (shrug)

That's the Boston pedigree.

The Boston pedigree really is the red headed step child. My mental image is no keys, multiples galore and all from an era where it's not impossible to find nice copies.

Which is kind of unfortunate because many of the books are superb. No less an authority than Adamstrange thinks very highly of Bostons.

Yeah, the ones I've owned and seen (I've seen them by the box load, actually, them being from Boston) are really nice books. It's just not one of those collections that stirs the would the way White Mountain or something does. No one is going to talk being the first person to open the Strange Adventures 190 in decades like Jerry talked about opening the WM AF15.

Maybe it's my perception, but it seems to be regarded as the red headed stepchild of the pedigree world. I always assumed it's because there are so many multiples (shrug)

The Boston pedigree really is the red headed step child. My mental image is no keys, multiples galore and all from an era where it's not impossible to find nice copies.

Which is kind of unfortunate because many of the books are superb. No less an authority than Adamstrange thinks very highly of Bostons.

I like Bostons. They're not the top tier, but most of them look great. The cover inks typically look dripping wet. And the PQ is usually on the higher end.

Bethlehems, to me, don't seem to be regarded as highly as they used to.

Bethlehems get a bad rap because the average grade for is much lower than some of the other collections. Bethelehem books on average are pretty nice, just not pristine. The thing about Bethlehem that gets lost in the passage of time is how many books and how many keys were present in the collection.. There were a lot of books.

I like Bostons. They're not the top tier, but most of them look great. The cover inks typically look dripping wet. And the PQ is usually on the higher end.

Bethlehems, to me, don't seem to be regarded as highly as they used to.

Bethlehems get a bad rap because the average grade for is much lower than some of the other collections. Bethelehem books on average are pretty nice, just not pristine. The thing about Bethlehem that gets lost in the passage of time is how many books and how many keys were present in the collection.. There were a lot of books.

Yeah, I've got no problem with them.

I was just commenting that you don't hear too much about them anymore. Back in the late 80's/early 90's they were always mentioned when peds were talked about. After all the "newer" peds were discovered, they don't get the same coverage they used to.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the FF#57 from Marnin years and years ago. He had it graded as VF/NM. I never pulled the trigger.

Yeah, the ones I've owned and seen (I've seen them by the box load, actually, them being from Boston) are really nice books. It's just not one of those collections that stirs the would the way White Mountain or something does. No one is going to talk being the first person to open the Strange Adventures 190 in decades like Jerry talked about opening the WM AF15.

lol You`ve just described most of the SA so-called pedigrees that have been discovered in the last few years.

And then something amazing like Atlantic City does NOT get pedigree status from CGC. doh!

lol You`ve just described most of the SA so-called pedigrees that have been discovered in the last few years.

Yeah, the thought crossed my mind as I was typing it up. I just got a couple of Twin Cities books in the mail as well, so recent pedigrees are at the front of my mind at the moment.

I'm a big fan of Boston books. Like you mention, they always seem very fresh with great colors and pages. I know the collection isn't as deep as some other pedigrees. But if I had my choice between a Boston, a White Mountain, and a Pacific Coast, I'd usually pick the Boston. (Assuming equal centering and PQ, that is.)