• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketches and SS for beginners

32 posts in this topic

I'm considering on stocking up on a few books with blank covers for next season's conventions. This is some new territory for me. What is the protocol to not only get some commission sketches done on the books and get it recognized by the CGC for the signature series (of course assuming the artiest will sign their work)?

I know that commissions take a while to do and depends on the artiest I ask to do one. Does the CGC "witness" the sketch or just the signature afterwards? Will I have to go to CGC booth first before getting the sketch done or can I set something up with the artiest prior to going to the convention?

I know the SS only recognizes the autograph, but do they take note that the artiest also did the drawing too (and does that note appear in the space on the label)?

Learning from my past mistakes, I'm going to start small until I can get a better understanding on how it works. Any tips and pointers will be great. Thoughts and stories from those who had it done would be great too! Thanks in advance!

PS - you can PM me, but I feel that their are others out there that may want to know, but are afraid to ask. So please share with the class.

Biggest advise with Sketch covers that I wish someone would have told me six months ago.

Know what you want going in.

Some very few artists are gold. Everything they do is amazing. But not many.

Some artist don't give you great sketches, because of their level of fame in the industry you are lucky to get anything at all from them.

But I think most artist have some characters they do great, and others not so much. If you know that you want a sketch by so and so, look at the body of work they have done and pick something in line with what they are going to really do a great job on. The last thing you want is a 200$ sketch that you are not happy with the quality of, simply because you picked the wrong characters on it.

Spend some time thinking about what your going to have done, and what the artist would do well for you. It will make your collection much more amazing then a box of random sketches and slabs and you will appreciate it more because of what you put into it!

I can give a few things that I've found and answer a few questions.

CGC needs to be present and will pick up the sketch from the artist. They do not need to be present for the actual sketching process and you would set up the sketch details with the artist before going to CGC. They pick the sketch up from the artist directly when complete.

It sounds like you are aware, but just to state it, if you pick that sketch up and bring it to the CGC table, it is no longer eligible for a CGC SS label, even if you brought it back to the artist. You cannot break the chain of custody between artist and CGC. So, once done, I would go to the CGC booth and ask for a witness to pick up the booth, then the CGC Rep would pick up the sketch.

The label will state "Signed and sketched by XXXXXX on ##/##/##" There are some cases where someone will get a sketch on someone elses sketch, such as a Stan Lee on something, or I've seen Mr. Simon on a Cap piece. That is allowed, as long as the CGC SS rules are followed...though don't see this too often.

You can contact artists beforehand to set something up, some will take lists beforehand. I've sent covers to the artists so they can work on them prior to the convention, and then have them ready to pick up at the show. This removes the risk of not getting on their list, and often you get a little more detail/quality since it was done at home. Some artists will do this, some won't.

I also agree with Troy...try to get a good idea of what you want to get, who the artists you want are. The CGC fees add up, and quality is often greater than quantity. In the end, the quality and/or value is what you see in it, at least that's my opinion. My personal focus is pretty specific(Lady Mech, Aspen, Black Widow, Mockingbird, Punisher) but that's what I like and that's what matters to me.

I would go through the Artists list, pick who I am interested in and go through there, looking at CAF for newer artists, and deciding what route I wanted to take. I've found a few lesser known artists that I think are great, and will be well known before their done, and love their work. It's a good idea to browse CAF for the bigger names as well, see what they do at conventions, because sometimes sadly, it's not worth the cost. On the other hand, some will put out great work all the time.

Best of luck, and enjoy it!

One piece of info I would offer is that it is always cool as hell to get a sketch done on your own blank and put the effort into snagging it, but sometimes it is cheaper to grab them off the for sale boards or even eBay. You may land a sketch for half of what you would pay in time, sketch fees and grading fees doing this.

I would go through the Artists list, pick who I am interested in and go through there, looking at CAF for newer artists, and deciding what route I wanted to take. I've found a few lesser known artists that I think are great, and will be well known before their done, and love their work. It's a good idea to browse CAF for the bigger names as well, see what they do at conventions, because sometimes sadly, it's not worth the cost. On the other hand, some will put out great work all the time.

This is a great suggestion - CAF allows you to filter by commissions and convention sketches, so it gives you a real good idea of what to expect when you're actually giving the artist your hard-earned $$ at the show.

There are numerous top tier artists that, even though their published art may be fantastic, do rather crappy work at conventions (whilst still charging you a fortune) - and plenty of lesser-known artists (Ryan Kelly, Jeremy Bastian, Andy Bennett and David Petersen spring to mind) that are bonafide bargains for what you're going to end up getting.

CGC needs to be present and will pick up the sketch from the artist. They do not need to be present for the actual sketching process and you would set up the sketch details with the artist before going to CGC. They pick the sketch up from the artist directly when complete.

This might be a stupid question, but one that I have wondered and goes along with this point. Does CGC need to be present to actually see the artist sign the sketch cover? In other words, does the artist need to wait to sign the sketch until CGC is there to pick it up? Or is just picking up the entire completed product (signed and sketched) enough?

Thanks.

This might be a stupid question, but one that I have wondered and goes along with this point. Does CGC need to be present to actually see the artist sign the sketch cover? In other words, does the artist need to wait to sign the sketch until CGC is there to pick it up? Or is just picking up the entire completed product (signed and sketched) enough?

Thanks.

i'd say no.....i have yet to see any of mine get turned away bc a CGC rep didn't see it

i'd also recomend that you mention that you are getting it graded, some artist don't really know about it and there are some that don't want their work graded AKA don't like CGC

the ones that don't know the whole process you may need to explain it to them and at times once at the show and i happen to pick up a graded book i'll walk back over so they can see excatly what i'm talking about, or if you happen to know a dealer with sig books that will allow you to take one over to the artist to see what it looks like might not be a bad idea either. i've never done this part but i know a few of the dealers good enough that they would prob let me do it, also best thing to do is make it clear you aren't a rep for CGC and if they really want to know is to ask at the booth while the reps/wittnesses & joe maybe busy they are always happy to help and answer questions from what i've seen anyway

the ones who don't want it graded all i can say is take it raw or pass, no point being a tool or burn a bridge that will make the artist not want to sketch or attend con's again.........look at adam hughes from over the summer bc of a total tool bag

Beginner question, what does CAF mean? Also what happened to Adam Hughes?

Worse case scenario. If I get the sketch done and take it to the CGC, I know it would become ineligible for the SS but how would it grade or will they even accept it? I was told once that a book that was signed without CGC to witness grades universal but it is noted that there is a "mark" on the cover.

I'm getting a decent deal on e-Bay on blank Uncanny X-Force #1. I'm thinking of nabbing several copies and using them whenever. The first con coming up, for me,is Philadelphia. I'm thinking of going with either Mark Texeira, Michael Golden or Greg Horn for my first sketch. My focus is usually within the Wolverine Universe (Wolverine, Sabertooth, X-23, Daken and, to a lesser degree, some Deadpool) . I'm considering some work done for my kids and they like Spider-man and Iron Man (as well as others). Any experiences with the artists I listed above? Pros or cons with them? Additional artiest suggestions? What is the general/average cost, for the sketch, that I can look forward to?

I'd love to get an Adam Kubert sketch at some point in time, but I have a feeling that is a difficult prospect.

Beginner question, what does CAF mean? Also what happened to Adam Hughes?

Worse case scenario. If I get the sketch done and take it to the CGC, I know it would become ineligible for the SS but how would it grade or will they even accept it? I was told once that a book that was signed without CGC to witness grades universal but it is noted that there is a "mark" on the cover.

I'm getting a decent deal on e-Bay on blank Uncanny X-Force #1. I'm thinking of nabbing several copies and using them whenever. The first con coming up, for me,is Philadelphia. I'm thinking of going with either Mark Texeira, Michael Golden or Greg Horn for my first sketch. My focus is usually within the Wolverine Universe (Wolverine, Sabertooth, X-23, Daken and, to a lesser degree, some Deadpool) . I'm considering some work done for my kids and they like Spider-man and Iron Man (as well as others). Any experiences with the artists I listed above? Pros or cons with them? Additional artiest suggestions? What is the general/average cost, for the sketch, that I can look forward to?

I'd love to get an Adam Kubert sketch at some point in time, but I have a feeling that is a difficult prospect.

CAF are authorized facilitators at shows or signings. CAW are authorized witness.

Adam won't be doing sketches at cons anymore because people were begging him for sketches and end up flipping them on eBay.

stuff that aren't witnessed will take a hit on the grade.

Adam won't be doing sketches at cons anymore because people were begging him for sketches and end up flipping them on eBay.

I kind of guessed as much, and I'm not really surprised. Note that I said sometime, meaning not at this time, but IF a chance would happen to open up in the future I'd like to take a shot. For now I bought autographed prints from him in NYCC and I'm pretty content with them.

How about Mark, Michael or Greg? Any thoughts on them for a first timer.

----

I heard that the books that are available for sketches kind of suck for artiest to draw on. Most of them have gloss coating and smear easily. I was told to look for books that have more of a matte finish (if they exist). Thoughts?

I kind of guessed as much, and I'm not really surprised. Note that I said sometime, meaning not at this time, but IF a chance would happen to open up in the future I'd like to take a shot. For now I bought autographed prints from him in NYCC and I'm pretty content with them.

----

I heard that the books that are available for sketches kind of suck for artiest to draw on. Most of them have gloss coating and smear easily. I was told to look for books that have more of a matte finish (if they exist). Thoughts?

Mark and Michael you should be able to. You might want to email them before though. I don't think Horn does sketch covers. At least I haven't seen any.

----

Mark and Michael you should be able to. You might want to email them before though. I don't think Horn does sketch covers. At least I haven't seen any.

I was unsure about Greg. I know his forte is in the digital color and manipulation, which would be hard to do on a pre-printed cover. On the other hand I've seen some of his work that wasn't manipulated and it was pretty good also.

it will get blue with a grade drop or green with no artist named

everything i've ever heard is greg horn does a mess job on sketchs, not even worth it

the other 2 i have and am happy with both

and with CAF it's a good idea to look up what kinda sketch you might get, just bc in the comic they do an amazing job doesn't mean a con sketch is going to look great or even half decent......and if your not paying attention even CAF can lead you wrong (learned the hard way)

Billy Tucci, before i knew CGC even had a sig program

SecretInvasion1BillyTucci.jpg