• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketches and SS for beginners

32 posts in this topic

So if I get the signed "COA" books I got during the 90's, I could expect a green label? Not ideal, but better than keeping the books locked away or in a box.

I can chime in on that one as a "yes". CGC Signature Label is only applied to comics witnessed by CGC. Thus, COA books by, say, Dynamic Forces, though reputable, garner a green label because they weren't witnessed by authorized CGC employees. I'm in the same beginner boat as you, as I'm currently looking into having a sketch done by Mark Bagley on the upcoming Scarlet Spider #1 blank variant. I've hit a wall though, because Mark doesn't have any conventions currently scheduled for 2012, as the comic comes out in January. Don't suppose anyone can help with that?

And on a sacreligious note, does anyone know if PGX aknowledges Dynamic Forces COA signatures? I've got an X-Men #25 (vol 2) signed by Andy Kubert and Fabian Nicieza as well as a Wolverine (vol 2 ongoing) #20 signed by John Romita Sr and Joe Quesada (1 of 30) both comics are Dynamic Forces COA'd. Doubt it, but it was worth asking...

For a variety of reasons, I would much rather have a book with a CGC green label than any type of signature version PGX book.

Adam won't be doing sketches at cons anymore because people were begging him for sketches and end up flipping them on eBay.

I kind of guessed as much, and I'm not really surprised. Note that I said sometime, meaning not at this time, but IF a chance would happen to open up in the future I'd like to take a shot. For now I bought autographed prints from him in NYCC and I'm pretty content with them.

How about Mark, Michael or Greg? Any thoughts on them for a first timer.

----

I heard that the books that are available for sketches kind of suck for artiest to draw on. Most of them have gloss coating and smear easily. I was told to look for books that have more of a matte finish (if they exist). Thoughts?

Mark and Michael you should be able to. You might want to email them before though. I don't think Horn does sketch covers. At least I haven't seen any.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=396132&GSub=59681

Adam won't be doing sketches at cons anymore because people were begging him for sketches and end up flipping them on eBay.

I kind of guessed as much, and I'm not really surprised. Note that I said sometime, meaning not at this time, but IF a chance would happen to open up in the future I'd like to take a shot. For now I bought autographed prints from him in NYCC and I'm pretty content with them.

----

I heard that the books that are available for sketches kind of suck for artiest to draw on. Most of them have gloss coating and smear easily. I was told to look for books that have more of a matte finish (if they exist). Thoughts?

Mark and Michael you should be able to. You might want to email them before though. I don't think Horn does sketch covers. At least I haven't seen any.

I spoke out of turn..Sorry!

no clue, as the only books i have and would ever consider sending to PGX are the veriants done by......damit can't remember their name but the covers are always overhung and so CGC won't touch them

P.S. for some reason Jay's Comic Copeny or something like that is sticking in my head....but don't feel like conferming if that's right or not (shrug)

----

I spoke out of turn..Sorry!

I saw some of the Greg Horn stuff on the CAF site. Outside of his prints, some of his sketch work is pass/fail. If I were to use CAF to decide where I want to put my hard earned money into a sketch cover I might pass on Greg. Knowing my luck I would get the stick figure sketch, lol.

no clue, as the only books i have and would ever consider sending to PGX are the veriants done by......damit can't remember their name but the covers are always overhung and so CGC won't touch them

P.S. for some reason Jay's Comic Copeny or something like that is sticking in my head....but don't feel like conferming if that's right or not (shrug)

Many of the Jay Company Museum editions have the overhang that CGC won't grade.

Many of the Jay Company Museum editions have the overhang that CGC won't grade.

i think every cover they do has the overhang....or every one that i've ever seen