• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE YOU ONLY PICKING UP JUSTIC LEAGUE BECAUSE OF JIM LEE'S ART?

49 posts in this topic

I understand what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree. I think if McFarlane ever came back, his fan base would still be huge. The people buying comics today are essentially the same people who bought them 10-15 years ago, when he was still drawing.

People who used to like Neal Adams in the 70s have for the most part moved on from comics.

I am not so sure,as I think more people from the 1970s(Neal Adams era) are still collecting compared to the 1990s(Todd McFarlane era). Most of the 1990s collectors seemed to have moved onto video games. hm

Okay all bite who is the other?

I would suspect that if Todd McFarlane took over the art chores on one of the Big 2's primary books, the numbers would jump substantially.

Yep you are correct never thought about him lol.

It`s kinda weird though as Rob Liefeld`s Hawk and Dove right now is outselling Spawn.

Not saying McFarlane still doesn`t have his cache,but look at Neal Adams new Batman comic book with dismal sales, as an example of how a new generation doesn`t care or an old generation wants the same old nostalgic memories. With that being said Jim Lee is far more popular with the modern comic book crowd,as he adapted and Todd didn`t. 2c

Has nothing to do with Spawn.

If McFarlane started drawing Amazing Spider-man for Marvel next month the sales would jump. Substantially.

The demand for just his autograph is one of the reasons he's singled out as a special event with Desertwind Comics.

Neal Adams is from almost 2 decades before Todd who's popularity came from the same generation of fans that love and support Jim Lee everytime he decides to draw a Big 2 character.

The fact that Todd doesn't draw anything much anymore and hasn't drawn a Big 2 book in quite some time just adds to the speculation of it.

My point is Jim Lee has still been in the game drawing long-term monthly comic books for the last twenty years,while Todd McFarlane is more similar to Neal Adams.

Wrong. Todd is from a completely different generation of fans than Neal Adams. He's from the same generation of fans as Jim Lee.

Both Adams and McFarlane were gods with their generation of fans, but when they go to do new work the fans complain how it doesn`t compare to their early work,which then leads to dismal sales.

Where do you get this? Todd drew Spawn #200, and besides the fact that's it's Spawn, which no one really all that much cares about (though it does have it's loyal following), nowhere did I hear of anyone saying the ART just wasn't what it once was.

Yes If Todd McFarlane did a DC series it would do great sales for the first few issues

So you agree with me. This is the point I was making.

,then the fans would complain it isn`t as good as his 1990s Spider-man then sales would significantly drop.

Maybe. Once again, you're assuming the art wouldn't be up to par based upon... some weird comparison to Neal Adams, who's about 20 years older than Todd.

This same exact scenario happened with the Neal Adams Batman Odyssey series,as the first few issues sold quite well,but the word got around that it wasn`t like the 1970s Batman work,so sales dropped to dismal lows.

Sales dropped because the art ISN'T as good, but the story is even WORSE. That's one big mess. But once again: Different generation. Older artist, by 20 some years.

Neal Adams is 70 years old. 70 YEARS OLD!!!

This is were Jim Lee has the upper hand,as he has stayed in the mainstream for the last 20 years doing big books like Batman,Superman and Iron Man. He has stayed in the monthly game while Todd was making a fortune making toys.

...And publishing Spawn monthly for almost 20 years, while making toys based on mainstream movies, and mainstream video games, and mainstream rock stars.

Todd McFarlane is probably more well known in the MAINSTREAM than Jim Lee.

That's a big base of people to pull from if he ever decided to draw a comic for the Big 2.

And when did Jim Lee draw Iron Man?

So in the long run a Jim Lee DC monthly comic book will do much better saleswise than a Todd McFarlane monthly comic book

Possibly. That was never my argument.

I'm just saying a Todd McFarlane DC monthly book would spike in sales considerably when he started drawing it.

Much more so than say.... Marc Silvestri.

because Jim Lee has been making monthly comic books continuously for the last 20 years to stay in tune with the modern audience,while Todd McFarlane will be relying on nostalgic memories of 40 year old fans to sell his comic books. ;)

lol

Jim Lee can hardly be given credit for drawing OR making a monthly comic book for the last 20 years. Plenty of long stretches of NOT making or drawing a monthly comic over the last 20 years.

Todd McFarlane HAS published Spawn continuously for the last 19 years.

I understand what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree. I think if McFarlane ever came back, his fan base would still be huge. The people buying comics today are essentially the same people who bought them 10-15 years ago, when he was still drawing.

People who used to like Neal Adams in the 70s have for the most part moved on from comics.

I am not so sure,as I think more people from the 1970s(Neal Adams era) are still collecting compared to the 1990s(Todd McFarlane era). Most of the 1990s collectors seemed to have moved onto video games. hm

People who collected in the 90's are probably more likely to buy a modern comic than people who collected in the 70's.

People who collected in the early 70's, at 20 years of age, are now almost 60 years old.

I would suspect that if Todd McFarlane took over the art chores on one of the Big 2's primary books, the numbers would jump substantially.

It`s kinda weird though as Rob Liefeld`s Hawk and Dove right now is outselling Spawn.

Not saying McFarlane still doesn`t have his cache,but look at Neal Adams new Batman comic book with dismal sales, as an example of how a new generation doesn`t care or an old generation wants the same old nostalgic memories. With that being said Jim Lee is far more popular with the modern comic book crowd,as he adapted and Todd didn`t. 2c

If McFarlane started drawing Amazing Spider-man for Marvel next month the sales would jump. Substantially.

The demand for just his autograph is one of the reasons he's singled out as a special event with Desertwind Comics.

Neal Adams is from almost 2 decades before Todd who's popularity came from the same generation of fans that love and support Jim Lee everytime he decides to draw a Big 2 character.

The fact that Todd doesn't draw anything much anymore and hasn't drawn a Big 2 book in quite some time just adds to the speculation of it.

My point is Jim Lee has still been in the game drawing long-term monthly comic books for the last twenty years,while Todd McFarlane is more similar to Neal Adams.

Wrong. Todd is from a completely different generation of fans than Neal Adams. He's from the same generation of fans as Jim Lee.

Both Adams and McFarlane were gods with their generation of fans, but when they go to do new work the fans complain how it doesn`t compare to their early work,which then leads to dismal sales.

Where do you get this? Todd drew Spawn #200, and besides the fact that's it's Spawn, which no one really all that much cares about (though it does have it's loyal following), nowhere did I hear of anyone saying the ART just wasn't what it once was.

Yes If Todd McFarlane did a DC series it would do great sales for the first few issues

,then the fans would complain it isn`t as good as his 1990s Spider-man then sales would significantly drop.

Maybe. Once again, you're assuming the art wouldn't be up to par based upon... some weird comparison to Neal Adams, who's about 20 years older than Todd.

This same exact scenario happened with the Neal Adams Batman Odyssey series,as the first few issues sold quite well,but the word got around that it wasn`t like the 1970s Batman work,so sales dropped to dismal lows.

Sales dropped because the art ISN'T as good, but the story is even WORSE. That's one big mess. But once again: Different generation. Older artist, by 20 some years.

This is were Jim Lee has the upper hand,as he has stayed in the mainstream for the last 20 years doing big books like Batman,Superman and Iron Man. He has stayed in the monthly game while Todd was making a fortune making toys.

...And publishing Spawn monthly for almost 20 years, while making toys based on mainstream movies, and mainstream video games, and mainstream rock stars.

That's a big base of people to pull from if he ever decided to draw a comic for the Big 2.

So in the long run a Jim Lee DC monthly comic book will do much better saleswise than a Todd McFarlane monthly comic book

I'm just saying a Todd McFarlane DC monthly book would spike in sales considerably when he started drawing it.

because Jim Lee has been making monthly comic books continuously for the last 20 years to stay in tune with the modern audience,while Todd McFarlane will be relying on nostalgic memories of 40 year old fans to sell his comic books. ;)

lol

Jim Lee can hardly be given credit for drawing OR making a monthly comic book for the last 20 years. Plenty of long stretches of NOT making or drawing a monthly comic over the last 20 years.

OMG! Too many words! Drekky posting style!

:shy:

lol

Who do you think I learned it from? lol

and Todd McFarlane is 50 YEARS OLD! According to my 18 year old son everybody over 40 is ancient. lol

lol

Who do you think I learned it from? lol

I am beginning to get Twitterized myself. Anything I write over a few sentences becomes incomprehensible with lots of run on sentences :cry: