• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE YOU ONLY PICKING UP JUSTIC LEAGUE BECAUSE OF JIM LEE'S ART?

49 posts in this topic

How anyone could hate the guy's art is beyond me. Such a nice humble guy at least everytime I have met him. I could understand not liking, but at least recognize the man's talent.

Maybe Perez comparison I could agree with, but not Byrne. Byrne hasn't been good for 15 years. X-men and FF after that its been shortcut city.

Lee has been great for at least what 15 years+? Even his early Alpha Flight stuff stands out some. He could still have today any book he wanted. How many artists currently can make that claim?

Hush sold because it was a simple formula great story with great art. It will continue to be that my local shops cant even keep trades in stock let alone the first 5 issues.

As to the whole 52 relaunch thing in general, having now seen these reboots about every 4-6 years from DC, I'm not really interested. Meanwhile, Marvel does the opposite- cool events that change the status quo, but in continuity. I think they have a much better long-term vision than DC does.

:roflmao::roflmao:

is there some massive marvel event I am unaware of? hm

Maybe (shrug)

Your Marvel awareness seems to be lacking, judging by your use of "Marvel" and "continuity " in the same sentence.

Okay all bite who is the other?

I would suspect that if Todd McFarlane took over the art chores on one of the Big 2's primary books, the numbers would jump substantially.

Yep you are correct never thought about him lol.

I would think those are the only two you could bank on.

As to the whole 52 relaunch thing in general, having now seen these reboots about every 4-6 years from DC, I'm not really interested. Meanwhile, Marvel does the opposite- cool events that change the status quo, but in continuity. I think they have a much better long-term vision than DC does.

:roflmao::roflmao:

is there some massive marvel event I am unaware of? hm

Maybe (shrug)

Your Marvel awareness seems to be lacking, judging by your use of "Marvel" and "continuity " in the same sentence.

ok, so are you ever going to actually tell me what giant crisis-like continuity-altering event Marvel had that I am overlooking?

IMHO, Jim Lee is a great artist. I remember collecting all of his stuff at Marvel. And when he left, I followed him to Image and finally to DC.

However, as most of the boardies have stated, even when you do have great art you need to have a great story to complement it. Jim Lee has worked with a lot of great writers in his day (Claremont, Loeb, Miller, and Johns) and his artwork really makes a difference in the story telling.

So, yes I bought Justice League for Jim Lee's art, but let it be known that I also like Johns as well. Great team in my opinion.

And if you think about it, which cover of Justice League 1 would you rather have? Jim Lee's? or Finch's? And don't say Finch's b/c of the limited number, but just based on the cover.

However, as most of the boardies have stated, even when you do have great art you need to have a great story to complement it. Jim Lee has worked with a lot of great writers in his day (Claremont, Loeb, Miller, and Johns) and his artwork really makes a difference in the story.

I would have to respectfully disagree.

I have no problem saying Jim Lee is talented, and has a unique style, is very popular, a long time 'pro', has done some fantastic memorable work, etc., etc.

But storytelling through his art is not his strength.

I would suspect that if Todd McFarlane took over the art chores on one of the Big 2's primary books, the numbers would jump substantially.

It`s kinda weird though as Rob Liefeld`s Hawk and Dove right now is outselling Spawn.

Not saying McFarlane still doesn`t have his cache,but look at Neal Adams new Batman comic book with dismal sales, as an example of how a new generation doesn`t care or an old generation wants the same old nostalgic memories. With that being said Jim Lee is far more popular with the modern comic book crowd,as he adapted and Todd didn`t. 2c

How anyone could hate the guy's art is beyond me. Such a nice humble guy at least everytime I have met him. I could understand not liking, but at least recognize the man's talent.

Maybe Perez comparison I could agree with, but not Byrne. Byrne hasn't been good for 15 years. X-men and FF after that its been shortcut city.

Lee has been great for at least what 15 years+? Even his early Alpha Flight stuff stands out some. He could still have today any book he wanted. How many artists currently can make that claim?

Hush sold because it was a simple formula great story with great art. It will continue to be that my local shops cant even keep trades in stock let alone the first 5 issues.

+1 One of the nicest persons I ever met,and a smart businessman to boot,which is very rare to find in a artist.

It`s kinda weird though as Rob Liefeld`s Hawk and Dove right now is outselling Spawn.

Not saying McFarlane still doesn`t have his cache,but look at Neal Adams new Batman comic book with dismal sales, as an example of how a new generation doesn`t care or an old generation wants the same old nostalgic memories. With that being said Jim Lee is far more popular with the modern comic book crowd,as he adapted and Todd didn`t. 2c

I had thought that McFarlane stopped drawing anything a decade or more ago, and was no longer involved with Spawn?

Has nothing to do with Spawn.

If McFarlane started drawing Amazing Spider-man for Marvel next month the sales would jump. Substantially.

The demand for just his autograph is one of the reasons he's singled out as a special event with Desertwind Comics.

Neal Adams is from almost 2 decades before Todd who's popularity came from the same generation of fans that love and support Jim Lee everytime he decides to draw a Big 2 character.

The fact that Todd doesn't draw anything much anymore and hasn't drawn a Big 2 book in quite some time just adds to the speculation of it.

Has nothing to do with Spawn.

If McFarlane started drawing Amazing Spider-man for Marvel next month the sales would jump. Substantially.

The demand for just his autograph is one of the reasons he's singled out as a special event with Desertwind Comics.

Neal Adams is from almost 2 decades before Todd who's popularity came from the same generation of fans that love and support Jim Lee everytime he decides to draw a Big 2 character.

The fact that Todd doesn't draw anything much anymore and hasn't drawn a Big 2 book in quite some time just adds to the speculation of it.

My point is Jim Lee has still been in the game drawing long-term monthly comic books for the last twenty years,while Todd McFarlane is more similar to Neal Adams. Both Adams and McFarlane were gods with their generation of fans, but when they go to do new work the fans complain how it doesn`t compare to their early work,which then leads to dismal sales. Yes If Todd McFarlane did a DC series it would do great sales for the first few issues,then the fans would complain it isn`t as good as his 1990s Spider-man then sales would significantly drop. This same exact scenario happened with the Neal Adams Batman Odyssey series,as the first few issues sold quite well,but the word got around that it wasn`t like the 1970s Batman work,so sales dropped to dismal lows. Same thing woud happen with Todd McFarlane,as the 40 year olds won`t like his artwork like the nostalgic memories they had when they were in their teens about Todd`s artwork. This is were Jim Lee has the upper hand,as he has stayed in the mainstream for the last 20 years doing big books like Batman,Superman and Iron Man. He has stayed in the monthly game while Todd was making a fortune making toys. So in the long run a Jim Lee DC monthly comic book will do much better saleswise than a Todd McFarlane monthly comic book because Jim Lee has been making monthly comic books continuously for the last 20 years to stay in tune with the modern audience,while Todd McFarlane will be relying on nostalgic memories of 40 year old fans to sell his comic books. ;)

I understand what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree. I think if McFarlane ever came back, his fan base would still be huge. The people buying comics today are essentially the same people who bought them 10-15 years ago, when he was still drawing.

People who used to like Neal Adams in the 70s have for the most part moved on from comics.