• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rust inhibitor chips for protecting staples

27 posts in this topic

I have done some research on desiccant Silica gel over the years. They do absorb moisture but they reach their capacity rather quickly and would need to be changed out very often to be fully affective.

They can be reused by putting them into a microwave so that they will release the moisture they have retained. They have gel that changes color to indicate how saturated they are and are the only ones I would recommend if reusing them but I question whether they will reduce the humidly enough to make a difference .

I too would be concerned about using VCI’s, there is just no way of knowing what effect they would have on the paper and the inks.

Proper storage conditions are still probably your best bet and have been tested extensively to be proven to work best.

Removing the staples would work but hurts the grade of the book worse than slight rusting.

Conservators outside of the comic community recommend replacing the staples with stainless steel ones but this also is frowned on in the collecting world where grade is paramount.

I have been using rust inhibitors for ten years now with no problems. Keep in mind that a lot of coin collectors and dealers also store paper money as well. Metal Safe is one of the most safest products you can buy in this regard. As to the 'chips' the original poster is referring to, I have never used them myself. That being said you can learn a lot just by searching the Internet and even the coin and currency side of this forum. Metal Safe is a very popular product.

MCP (pardon my abbreviation, but I am on an iPad), you are correct about silica gel, but if these are stored in a climate controlled environment that is self contained (I.e. a box within a box), the silica gel should stay good for awhile. Another product I recomdend is damp rid, use it in any climate controlled storage area. Works great.

If anyone that uses a safe to store comics wants to measure the humidity level, get one of these. It's calibrated out of the box. If you see that the humidity level is too high, buy some Trackless Litter Pearls , use part of your wife's/GF's pantyhose to contain it, and put it in the safe. The kitty litter is silica gel that you can add or subtract to maintain the proper rH level in your safe. This is what many cigar smokers, like myself, use to regulate our humidors. I'm figuring it'll work just as well for comics inside a safe

Just got back from Lowes and happened to see a rust inhibitor capsule in the tool aisle. On the back it prominently stated something along the line of

"do NOT store near valuable documents as the vapor will yellow paper"

:eek:

My money would be on ALL rust inhibitor type products using the same base chemicals and thus I would not use with comics

Just got back from Lowes and happened to see a rust inhibitor capsule in the tool aisle. On the back it prominently stated something along the line of

My money would be on ALL rust inhibitor type products using the same base chemicals and thus I would not use with comics

I would strongly urge you to look up Metal Safe; which is made for coin and currency collctions. The item you are refering to is made for 'industrial use applications.'

Please understand the difference in these products.

EDITED to include: I can provide you more information on this product if needed. Just PM me. Sorry that my initial post was brief, but I was leaving the office when I initially responded.

I would strongly urge you to look up Metal Safe; which is made for coin and currency collctions. The item you are refering to is made for 'industrial use applications.'

Please understand the difference in these products.

EDITED to include: I can provide you more information on this product if needed. Just PM me. Sorry that my initial post was brief, but I was leaving the office when I initially responded.

There appear to be many different brands of these rust inhibitors on the market.

Most of the products look identical except for labeling/packaging.

They all mention emitting a vapor ....

I doubt there is any major difference in the products, thus, I stand by my conclusion.

If you have additional information to share, no need to PM me. Just post it here, where everyone can benefit.