• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Y: The Last Man DC Vertigo Comics

77 posts in this topic

Is there an actual -script already and studio behind it or is it not even to that stage? What is the debate in regards to?

Heres what I found on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_Last_Man

Film adaptation

The film rights to the series have been acquired by New Line Cinema (a sister company to Vertigo), and as of July 24, 2007 screenwriter Carl Ellsworth and director D. J. Caruso, the team behind Disturbia, were attached to the project with David S. Goyer as a producer.[4]

Caruso intended on finishing the -script in the summer and filming during the fall of 2008. The -script would be a rewrite of the original draft written by Vaughan himself.[5]

A draft of Vaughan's screenplay has been posted online.[6]

Caruso maintained that the source material was too much to be told in one film and his team decided to concentrate on the best first film they could, which would end somewhere around issue 14 of the comic series. The entire comic series as a whole would be plotted into three films.[7] Actor Shia LaBeouf, who has worked with these writers for the films Disturbia and Eagle Eye, has previously stated that he is unwilling to play the role of Yorick. According to LaBeouf, the role is far too similar to the character Sam Witwicky, which he portrays in the Transformers series.[8] In an interview conducted by collider.com, LaBeouf stated that there is still a chance that he would be starring.[9] Caruso planned to use a real monkey, and not a CGI construct, to play Ampersand.[5] Caruso also said he would like to have Alicia Keys for the part of Agent 355.[10] Zachary Levi, who plays the lead in the TV series Chuck, has expressed interest in playing Yorick as he is a fan of the comic book series, even going as far as having his character Chuck Bartowski read the Y: The Last Man graphic novel in an episode in Season 3.

As of November 2010, the film version is still on hold. Caruso remained "loosely attached" to the project, but New Line refused to budge on its development as a stand-alone movie as opposed to the trilogy Caruso (who has since moved on to direct the science fiction film I Am Number Four) preferred.[11] Caruso, maintaining "I didn't think that you could take Yorick's story and put it in to a two-hour movie and do it justice... I just feel like it's too much for one screenplay," ultimately walked away from the project.[12]

French director Louis Leterrier has also expressed interest in adapting the series for television.[13]

YTLM is the greatest modern read period.

Debatable. (tsk) ESPECIALLY if you consider Sandman to be a modern book.

YTLM is a fantastic series, though. And it's one of those that is great for reeling in people who don't normally read comics.

YTLM is a fantastic series, though. And it's one of those that is great for reeling in people who don't normally read comics.

Agreed, Fables and 100 Bullets were just as good as Y. To be honest, Lucifer was a great Vertigo book too, but a tier down from the others. Y was great but the ending wasn't the best, in my opinion.

YTLM is what got me back into collecting comics! I still love my #1 CGC 9.6 SS by Pia (with a little Ampersand sketch on the cover)

Dayuumm,

We need some pictures for sure!

Ythelastman.jpg[/img]

If not the greatest modern, then at least the critics' majority pick for best book of the aughts (2000-2009). An old thread from Modern:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=181035&Number=3713612#Post3713612

And the original link:

http://hudsonphillips.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/best-comics-of-the-decade/

Count me as a big fan! (thumbs u

If not the greatest modern, then at least the critics' majority pick for best book of the aughts (2000-2009). An old thread from Modern:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=181035&Number=3713612#Post3713612

And the original link:

http://hudsonphillips.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/best-comics-of-the-decade/

Count me as a big fan! (thumbs u

I could get behind best of the oughts. But not best modern. Sandman beyond Season of Mists and Preacher are both better. But Y is great. I enjoyed Y more than WD, which is saying something.

A trilogy would work well for YTLM as well.

I actually think a Trilogy would work better for YTLM than a TV series.

I agree to a point.

I think it is too much for one movie but I don't know if there is enough for a trilogy. (shrug)

I agree to a point.

I think it is too much for one movie but I don't know if there is enough for a trilogy. (shrug)

hum...maybe a two parted movie hm

I agree to a point.

My thought is similar to a made for TV movie being 2-3 episodes. I also think it could work as a TV series but only one 12 episode season. I can easily imagine 6-9 hours of solid entertainment. I think it would be difficult to have the same feel in 2-3 hours and although a challenge may fit in less than 5 hours. Unlike WD there is more talk and back story as to the cause of the events that could be explored. WD is showing us a little of where everyone was during the beginning of the apocalypse but YTLM's story allows for more of an explanation or exploration of why.

Unlike an earlier comment I LOVED the ending and I can see a complete movie from about issue 45-60. I don't want to spoil the read for anyone because it is a great read. As vague as possible? A trilogy could work easily if I think about the focus of each film being on one the 3 main female characters and the relationship to Yorick while he continues his quest.

I completely agree that a 2-3 hour one shot film could not possibly do the story any justice.

A trilogy could work easily if I think about the focus of each film being on one the 3 main female characters and the relationship to Yorick while he continues his quest.

The females that Yorick thinks are the main characters, or the females that actually are the main characters? hm

A trilogy could work easily if I think about the focus of each film being on one the 3 main female characters and the relationship to Yorick while he continues his quest.

The females that Yorick thinks are the main characters, or the females that actually are the main characters? hm

Well I think there is a debate on which female characters would be the main 3. I think there are 3 very obvious pairs of female leads. The Yin and yang of each of the main theories in the story.

Screenwriter Carl Ellsworth and director D. J. Caruso, the "creative" team behind Disturbia? That one is still in it's original Blu Ray shrinkwrap on my shelf.

David Goyer's involvement would be promising if he wasn't so spread out with other high profile comic projects(witness Blade: Trinity-which wasn't bad, but... and The Unborn).

I was talking about a filmmaker who wouldn't be afraid of taking some risks to make more edgier and gritty product that could be believably made into a few installments that would play like one movie over time and not two sequels. There are better creators out there, that could do this eveven better than DJ Caruso, imho. despite hailing from New England, his films feel Hollywood pressured. Eagle Eye(choppy), Taking Lives(Hollywood obviously had final cut), Black Cat Run(an engaging Frank Darabont production that ended with a damsel in distress scenario), I Am Number Four(paycheck movie). The only movie he did I would consider a hopeful sign of his filmmaking talent was the classic The Salton Sea. Just too much junk afterwards.