• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do in this situation?

50 posts in this topic

I would suggest asking this fella to give you a call so you can discuss everything in detail. Once he calls, just hang up on him.

insane.gif

Go for it! This is the suggestion I like best grin.gifdevil.gif

I would suggest asking this fella to give you a call so you can discuss everything in detail. Once he calls, just hang up on him.

insane.gif

And now you can tell him it's endorsed by CGC! insane.gif

insane.gif

Absolutely not! mad.gif CGC does not endorse ANYTHING you crazys do except of course, if you submit books to us grin.gif

We love ya all acclaim.gif, but we don't endorse ya tongue.gif

insane.gif

Absolutely not! mad.gif CGC does not endorse ANYTHING you crazys do except of course, if you submit books to us grin.gif

We love ya all acclaim.gif, but we don't endorse ya tongue.gif

sorry.gif

How long until this guy shows up and gives us 'the other side of the story'? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Although this case seems pretty cut and dry from what we have read so far, I have seen other cases as "clear" as this before only to later see "the other guy" finally come on and explain his side. Often perspectives have changed drastically once that both sides have been heard. Of course I'm not saying that is what happened here, but from my experience one-sided stories ALWAYS leave out certain details that do not look favorable to the person stating his side. Before we hang the other guy I really would like to know his side of the story. Unfortunately that may not happen so all we can go by is what we DO have. I just hate to judge somebody without hearing their defense. I think it is very dangerous and potentially a huge injustice. confused-smiley-013.gif ------Sid

1. He breached a contract (assuming he signed)--paging FFB? I agree with the others that this is a separate issue. HOWEVER, I don't think we should pass a blind eye to his ethical behavior. Pursue legal avenues if the conditions are right for a breach of contract. Actually, for a contract to be in place, both parties must give up something of value. Doesn't sound like he did, so I don't think this qualifies. Paging FFB...

If there was a written contract signed by both parties saying that the guy promised to pay X dollars over a certain period of time for certain books, then it might very well be enforceable. You are correct when you say that a valid contract requires "consideration" (whether it be giving up something of value or making a promise not to do something that you are otherwise entitled to do in exchange for the other person's promise). But the "contract" Filter describes appears to have had consideration. Filter's consideration flowing to the other guy was his promise to sell certain books to the guy according to a set schedule in exchange for the other guy's performance under the terms of the agreement. The other guy's consideration was his promise to pay Filter in exchange for the books.

Depending on how long the period of time was that the contract was supposed to cover until completed, it might have to satisfy the Statute of Frauds -- but as long as it was in writing, with reasonably certain terms, and was signed by the party against whom the contract is to be enforced, then it would usually be binding unless something else happened to cancel or void the contract thereafter (such as Filter telling the guy "I don't want to sell you these books anymore" or Filter actually selling some of the books prior to the date by which the other guy was supposed to purchase them).

One of things that I'm scratching my head about is why didn't you come here to

pedal some of those books that you took huge losses on.

We here are collectors and if you had something we were looking for we would

of more than likely given you a fair trade for them.

Unstead you took the quick route of dumping them at the LCS -

who doesn't really care about the books he just wants to make a quick buck.

(and you can't blame him - it's just business)

I mean not to rub salt into anyones wounds,

but I would of given that guy a certain deadline and if I had offers I would of called him.

And if I would of got money within a week I would of sold them to that guy you were

saving them for, if not I would of sold them to the people asking for them.

oh well, food for thought.

I'm sad for you. frown.gif