• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

time to give back

114 posts in this topic

When I saw I could only pick or nominate 2 I was hesitant to post. Although I am still a noob here on the boards, so many of you guys have helped me and I didn't want to leave somebody out.

In no particular order

Mike Jeter- helped introduce me to the boards and is just an awesome guy. He works his butt off and is always there to lend advice and help of course. He finds us those hard to get International artists for Opps, which is awesome. We often vent to each other and in the end I feel like I'm talking to a kindred spirit. Hobby's are great but having friends can be just as rewarding.

Adonis- he was the first guy I PM'd after joining the boards. Dude had no idea who I was and didnt really welcome me at all lol Once he figured out I wasn't up to no good, we hit it off. He's the type of guy you want in your corner and definetly don't want against you. He is offering up great Opps for the boards and is getting our name out there. The more artists are aware of us maybe they would be more apt to do these Opps :wishluck:

Fred- he is the sketch guru in my eyes. Fred has helped me and others obtain sketch goals that at least I, never thought I would see. He had no reason at all to reach out to a new guy like me. But he did and my collection and wallet have never been the same.

JJ- Only known the guy for a couple months, but I can really see he cares. Sure I read what others have said. There seems to be a tight or at least an aquainted group that frequents shows either as dealers, CAWs, Facilitators, CGC employees etc So of course you guys and gals know each other well and can tell war stories. But someone like me who is just a collector (for now) and doesn't travel much, misses out on that type of stuff. All that being said, JJ treats me like I am one of those people. Going out of his way to let me know what's up and keeping me in the loop on some things, which I greatly appreciate.

Okay okay that's more than 2 so DQ me that's cool, but I just wanted to get it out there. Obviously there are more than 2 people who have impacted my board experience so kudos to everyone else that has helped me so far and will do so in the future. Hope I can repay it someday or at least pay it forward.

Instead of giving the books to someone who can afford to buy or acquire signed books on their own, why don't you give them to someone who truly appreciates the SS program and doesn't have the ability to acquire books for themselves?

Stop looking for handouts Watson.

As magnanimous as this event may be and as spectacular as those two items are, they're not something I would pine for.

I'm only suggesting to give them to someone who would truly appreciate them and doesn't otherwise have an opportunity to get them... not someone who has easy access to the world of SS. However, it's only an opinion and they're not my books.

As magnanimous as this event may be and as spectacular as those two items are, they're not something I would pine for.

I'm only suggesting to give them to someone who would truly appreciate them and doesn't otherwise have an opportunity to get them... not someone who has easy access to the world of SS. However, it's only an opinion and they're not my books.

I see your point. For most signed books that's true.

Given the two creators who signed the respective books, those are some pretty tough sigs to get for anyone, inside or out of the program.

I've never even come close to getting a Jerry Robinson, and Platt's only sign a few books and none before this year.

Given the two creators who signed the respective books, those are some pretty tough sigs to get for anyone, inside or out of the program.

I've never even come close to getting a Jerry Robinson, and Platt's only sign a few books and none before this year.

It doesn't really matter. I had an opinion and I expressed it.

And I embrace it. :acclaim:

Back off. You're invading my personal space.

My first vote must go to JJ . I remember one year my friend Chris and I were at SDCC JJ went far out of his way to help us get our books witnessed. After JJ helped us one time Chris told me no other witness would have done that.

My second vote is for Joe P. Joe just works his azz of at these shows. Unbelieveable. He even walked to the end of the Walking Dead line at the last Amazing AZ Con just to give my group updates on what was happening at the front.

My first vote goes to Mike Jeter. He goes out of his way to help me out at every show this year. Also when a book of mine was misplaced at this years NYCC, he went crazy looking for it at the booth while i was there watching. Then sent me a text at 9:30 in the morning the next day when he found it. I could of very well gotten the story "we'll find it when it gets back cgc headquarters".

Second vote goes to Joe P, He's always friendly , and very helpful at shows. I dont know how he keeps his cool at a show like the NYCC, when its a complete made house at the booth. I got to see him in action at the booth while Mike was looking for my book, and dont know how he keeps his cool when 15 people are trying to ask him 15 different question at once, and keeping the booth organized at the same time.

2011 has been an amazing year for Signature Series. I have been very fortunate to be part of some amazing opportunities. I truly appreciate that and feel I need to give back. I am blessed to have some of you in my life.Thanks for your friendship. You know who you are. Anyway... I have decided that I need to share the wealth. I have 2 books I am going to give away. Yes, just give away. 1 is a Moon Knight #60 CGC SS 9.4 signed by Stephen Platt. The other is a CGC 9.8 SS Jerry Robinson signed Detective #38 replica edition. I want you guys to tell me two people on the SS boards that deserve to get one. Maybe they helped you, maybe they are just good people. I will send one of these books, of my choice to the 2 people that the SS boards thinks deserves them the most. let's try to make this something nice and not a popularity contest. Only rule is you can't vote for yourself. Anyone wanna play?

This is a really cool thing your doing. (thumbs u (thumbs u

I'm relatively new to collecting SS + sketches. The only people I've interacted with at cons were Mike Jeter (Mr. Mylar), Joe Pierson (Piersonite) and you Brian. So Mike and Joe are my picks. Great experiences with both of those guys.

What a great thread, BK. There are so many people that provide so much great support to the program, that it is impossible to list everyone, but I am going to list two for two very specific reasons:

(1) Jon Jespersen (jonjesper) - Most people know how hard he works now, but a lot of people don't know how many of us were trained, counselled and helped by JJ. In addition to being a tireless worker, he has been a true Jedi Master. You would be amazed how many padawan learners he has ushered into SS.

(2) Andrew Cretella (GACollectibles) - Andy has taken the spirit and fun of collecting autographs to the next level in 2011. He has been instrumental in CGC now certifying movie lobby cards (great for situations where there are no comics available to have signed), and has been doggedly providing opportunities at smaller shows to get rare celebrity, animation and comic signatures from folks that do not do the normal show circuit.

I have so many SS homies; you know I love you all. I could right the same type of reasons for so many others. Thanks to everyone for all the kind words.

--S.

My money would be on

Sean and Andrew (GACollectibles) they both helped me a ton with my first sub and convention involving getting my own sketches and sigs. Now I have the SS bug because of them. My wife my have a little hatred towards them because this SS addiction isn't cheap, but I have nothing but love for them. :)

Back off. You're invading my personal space.

I thought that was a roll of lifesavers. ???