• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Ads Appreciation Thread

71 posts in this topic

I dont know about you guys, but one of the many things i love about old comics is looking at the ads inside for other comics comin out that same month or the next month. I especially like the ones that feature key issue books, 1st apperances of new characters, or a new title. Now i know these are not considered 1st apperances in anyones book, but i like to think that technically speaking, they are. Its the first time that that character or title was ever printed in a comic, so... 1st apperance.(Its just something i like to think so when i do come across these, it makes the book cooler in my eyes.) Ive been in many heated debates over this topic, but thats not why im here. I know theres other people out there that have to enjoy these ads, and it's not just me. So i went through some of my comics tonight and these are some of the ones i found. Some of them pretty impressive too. Hope you guys enjoy these as much as i do and if you ever come across an ad thats advertising a big book, please post it, id love to see them too.

Cool idea for a thread. I recently scanned a bunch of Marvel Silver Age and found several of these ads. I scanned them when I could do so safely (or when the books were low enough grade that I wasn't worried). Here is a sampling:

Avengers1ad.jpg

Avengers4ad.jpg

DD07ad.jpg

TOS49ad.jpg

Cool idea for a thread. I recently scanned a bunch of Marvel Silver Age and found several of these ads. I scanned them when I could do so safely (or when the books were low enough grade that I wasn't worried). Here is a sampling:

Avengers1ad.jpg

Awsome stuff. The avengers #1 is my favorite out of those.

Thanks for sharing!!

And heres some Golden Age goodness.

Ad for Wings Comics #71, Jumbo Comics #89, Jungle Comics #79 and Planet Comics #43. I cant find the numbers for Ranger and Fight Comics.

100_2812.jpg

Ad for Prize Publications (Prize, Treasure and Wonderland Comics and Headline and Frankenstein.)

100_2813.jpg

Here are some more Marvel. Before the Internet, big comic conventions and comic book stores, these ads were the only way to see what the cover of an old book looked like.

In 1970, I think I would spend as much time "reading" these pages as I did the regular comic pages. I hope you'll pardon the posting of some of the more esoteric and mundane along with the key. They are all 1963-65.

PH96HouseAd.jpg