• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What music do comic collectors favor?

46 posts in this topic

EllaFitz, Nina and Billie, along with "Sassy" (Sarah Vaughn), and Cleo Laine, 5 of the best there ever was! If you want to hear the ultimate in what's possible in a Funk/Jazz/Gospel/HipHop Female vocalist trio, be SURE to check out Brownstone ("If you love me"..their biggest hit single). It's like having 3 Whitney's (in her prime, on her best day of days), on stage together, but each of them with infinitely more power, range, control of nuance, and intense vocal arrangements.

This is what is in my CD player right now:

Nina: The Essential Nina Simone (Nina Simone)

Mars Hotel (Grateful Dead)

Charango (Morcheeba)

Simple Things (Zero 7)

Live Phish 10-31-95 (Phish)

Powerage (AC/DC)

I like almost everything.

Zeppelin, Rush up to Moving Pictures, Iron Maiden, ELP, Yes, Hendrix, Parliament Funkadelic,70's am radio bubblegum, Stevie Ray ,James Brown, the Who, Van Halen (with Dave), Bee Gees, old school rap (Run DMC, Beastie Boys etc) blues, 60's R & B, ABBA,

I dont listen to new metal/rap metal whatever that stuff is called uggh! Dont care for country either but do like Southern Rock (Skynyrd, Hank Williams Jr etc)

Hey FI -

Ever been to a P-Funk show? Thay put on a great live show! Seen 'em 3 times and everytime they tear tha' roof off! They always have let the fans come up on stage and party with them. Meet Mr. Clinton in tha' flesh! That's one cool MF!

Chris

hell yes! they do put on a fantastic concert I missed Rush this tiem around and am bumming also missed a free concert from STP a few months ago in Tampa. I dont listen to the radio much other than new/talk radio so I drove right past where the free show was going on on my way home back to Gainesville.

D'oh! Guess you won't ever see them, then (isn't Scott dead?).

I was never a big Rush fan, but in college I went w/ a coupla friends, and they do put on one helluva show. Neil Pert (sp?) is a music god!

Chris

are you thinking of the singer of Alice in Chains? He was found dead this year of heroin I think Weiland is clean now. I'm not a huge fan of STP but for free would have seen the show! Peart is a fantastic percussionist and even though I dislike their music from the past 20 years they put on a unbelieveable show every single time. I just hope it wont be 6 years between tours again for Rush. Another good band live I saw not too long ago is the Cult. My wish Is that I was old enough to see Zeppelin circa 1974-1975 I'd love to have seen Physical Grafitti era Zep on tour

The Clash

The Pogues

The Velvet Underground

Wilco

Billy Bragg

The Waterboys

Johnny Cash

Social Distortion

Bob Dylan

Bruce Springsteen

The Faces

Gram Parsons

Jimmie Dale Gilmore

World Party

Nick Lowe

Elvis Costello

XTC

The Replacements

Counting Crows

Big Star

R.E.M.

probably forgetting a few others, but those are some of my faves...

I remember going to a Rush concert during there tour of the "2112" album. It was the second best concert I ever saw topped only by Pink Floyd at there premiere concert during there tour of "Dark Side of the Moon" album....

If Neil Pert is a music God then Nick Mason is an entity of a magnitude that cannot be described...

Damn, I can't believe that no one here even mentioned Zappa, whose music embraced many different genres of music from out and out Rock to the tightly, highly orchestrated, progressive fusion band of "One size fits all" with the Underwoods on percussion and George Duke on keys.

Also, Weather Report, the fusion giant with 3 of the finest musicians (Zawinul on keys, Wayne Shorter on saxes, Jaco Pastorius on fretless electric bass), and by far some of the most tasteful fusion, ever. ("8:30" album).

My list will shock compared to those listed thus far:

Classic Death Metal:

Death- Spiritual Healing

Napalm Death- Harmony Corruption

Morbid Angel- Blessed are the Sick

Malevolent Creation- The Ten Commandments

Entombed- Left Hand Path

Deicide- Deicide

Unleashed- Shadows in the Deep

Carcass-Symphonies of Sickness

Carcass- Necroticism- Descanting the Insalubrious

Carcass- Heartwork

Grave- Soulless

Hypocrisy- Abducted

Current Death Metal:

Bloodbath- Breeding Death

Bloodbath- Resurrection through Carnage

I like Floyd too but more from a production/lyrical side. I've seen both bands live but really prefer Floyd on a good sound system on cd with a big joint. Peart is a monster drummer and always gives a stunning solo in concert so even though IO dont like Rush's newer music I love to see them live. .

Anti-Quark (Dan Diego)

G.G.F.H.

VNV Nation

Ojo Rojo

Divisia

Imperative Reaction

Assemblage 23

Apoptygma Berzerk

Tracy + the Plastics

Sado-Nation

Neurosis

Geza X

Christian Death (with Rozz, not Valor)

Zeromancer

Kiki and Herb

Tarantula Hawk

Stacy Q

Boyd Rice

Spahn Ranch

Boxcar satan

Death in June

400 Blows

Estrogenocide

3D House of Beef

Peaches

Adult.

Miss Kittin and the Hacker

Senor Coconut

The Numbers

Ladytron

At least that's what I had on my desk this morning.