• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your motivation?

27 posts in this topic

1. Nostalgia. I especially like coming across stuff I got rid of during college. Usually not too expensive but it is hard to find some of those Dollar size DC's.

2. It's fun and gives me another hobby. Have the collecting bug I guess.

3. Like reading them though not as much as when I was a kid.

I have never been interested in "turning" them fast or selling. I guess I get "hooked" on them ans get attached sentimentally. God, it will be tough when that day comes...

I do it for the chicks!!

ACTUALLY....the best tactic is to hide your love of collecting until you get a chick. THEN to see if she is a keeper...spring it on her. If she is down with the comics, marry her.

I did.

I married my wife 15 years ago ( at age 20 ), she is 110% cool with the comics and that is all a fella needs. 893applaud-thumb.gif

All I can say is that people shouldn't collect Archie comics....

There are much better things then these wanna be books....

real and true collectors would and should avoid them and leave them for the clueless......

Interesting question as I was pondering that:

in reading the pedigree threads in the SA forum (thinking - a might bitterly - that it must be nice to be in a position to have the money to shell out for multiple copies from multiple pedigrees)

AND

over the weekend (because I was in the LCS pondering whether to spend $15 or so on a F/VF copy of Kirby's Sandman #1 while another guy in the store was happily plunking down $650 for a F/VF copy of a Timely Cap #43) ;

AND

seeing JC's thread on prices being seriously out of whack (seems like there are a lot of VF/NM and above raw books being sold solely on what the seller says EVEN when the scan shows otherwise).

Why am I in this hobby? I like nice copies of books, but I'll never have the kind of money (or time) to form any sort of high-grade collection.

While I don't read the books I get as often as I'd like (my wife and kids keep me more than sufficiently busy), I'm not sure that is my primary motivation anyhow.

Mostly, it is nostalgia...

for a time when the world may have been scarier, but comics offered some solace in the good guys usually winning (if not today, then the next time)

for a time when I had time to read the stories and remember the continuity and still had time to dream of writing a bestseller, go to the moon, and still be home in time to watch reruns of Star Trek.

I look forward to getting some new (to me) books, but even that isn't the same as the thrill was of going down to the local pharmacies and seeing what was still there on the spinner rack every week or three. Probably, because I am just trying to rebuild what I once had and already know the stories... at least in broad outlines.

Maybe when my kids are a bit older, I'll be able to see comics through their eyes (much as I have with many other things) and feel a little less jaded.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I'm working on getting back all the issues I used to have (and got rid of when I completely lost interest in comics in the late 80's), and get everything before then and since then. Doing it as cheaply as possible has been a lot of fun, and sticking to reader copies help keep them from becoming commodities (and breaking my wallet! smile.gif).