• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Opinion Of The Most Influential Modern Comic Book Character

81 posts in this topic

Halo is/was already a comic book. Think it was received in a pretty ho-hum fashion. Geeks don't like to mix their milk and meat sometimes.

Which means it's cheap right now... could it someday, due to the popularity of the game and characters from it, become desirable?

Probably not.

But as no one is hoarding them (well maybe somebody, but not many), it might slightly have potential.

Maybe.

Just throwing that out there.

But I still don't count it in this discussion because it was a game first! :grin:

Just like GI JOE and Transformers comics don`t count because they were a toys first. Go look at some of the prices of what the Sonic, Halo,Gears of War,Street Fighter,and Mortal Kombat comics go for,and you might be surprised. ;)

64012-11074-97008-1-sonic-the-hedgehog_large.jpg

178573-19065-113839-1-halo-uprising_super.jpg

Halo is/was already a comic book. Think it was received in a pretty ho-hum fashion. Geeks don't like to mix their milk and meat sometimes.

Which means it's cheap right now... could it someday, due to the popularity of the game and characters from it, become desirable?

Probably not.

But as no one is hoarding them (well maybe somebody, but not many), it might slightly have potential.

Maybe.

Just throwing that out there.

But I still don't count it in this discussion because it was a game first! :grin:

Just like GI JOE and Transformers comics don`t count because they were a toys first. Go look at some of the prices of what the Sonic, Halo,Gears of War,Street Fighter,and Mortal Kombat comics go for ,and you might be surprised. ;)

Which still doesn't mean that they belong on a list of "Most Influential Modern Comic Book Characters" :ohnoez:

I imagine the videogame(Ultimate Alliance-Arkham Asylum) and PC versions(I brought up Nancy Drew earlier) of characters are actually selling better than the actual books. Maybe it's because it let's kiddies(teens, young adults, ummm... me-old fogey) be the characters as themselves. Perhaps this is the new wave happening to funny book characters and why we don't have notable characters anymore. I seriously don't think videogame books like Halo are gonna go for premiums down the road though, because of what I mentioned. I think the kid has to be in the game at the time to care, not reading about some writer's character. Sonic is a different animal all together.

I don't see why other media can't be contenders to produce the most "influential modern comic" character?

And what's modern? 1992? Or can we back to 1990/1991 so we could include Deadpool and/or Bone?

My short-list would be:

Bone cousins

Deadpool--as/more popular than Ghost Rider back in the day & appeared in one movie so far

Sonic the Hedgehog (seriously, among the most expensive modern runs)

Harley Quinn (first appeared in a cartoon, but now solidly in the Batman universe)

Rick Grimes--I don't get The Walking Dead love, but the TV show's popular even among non-comic readers. I see it as a passing fad, however (a la Preacher, Y: The Last Man, and 100 Bullets--all of these were superb, but will never be as influential as Sandman).

Halo is one of the few serial titles my son reads. I find the stories can be confusing because the interior art has been pretty bad on most of the minis. I'm talking bad art that makes you have to try and figure out what is happening in the story because it is not obvious from what is drawn even though the individual pictures are competently drawn. Regardless, my son seems to like the titles.

I'm not surprised that the comics are only selling in mediocre numbers based on what I've seen.

So in Moderns, the Big Two only tends to make only a comic character(Harley Quinn, NYX, Deadpool etc). Independent examples would be Invincible, Hellboy, The Goon, Spawn etc. But independent comic's titles can also be a "character" all by itself(TWD, Chew, Locke & Key etc.) that don't really spawn notable characters that could become household names.

I consider Goon an example of a character that is influenced by Hellboy. Just like Atomic Robo, Anchor, Robot 13, etc. Am I the only one that sees the Hellboy influence on Chew?

My point is I wouldn`t be looking for the next Batman and Spider-man in modern comic books. Video games and Cartoon Network have the new influential characters.

buyuk%20ben10.jpg

What comics has Ben 10 been an influence on?

Ben 10 looks like another cartoon in a long line of cartoons that was written specifically to be made into toys. Like Thundercats, He-Man, GI Joe, etc.

Copper. With the Copper Section on the boards as well as the New Registry Award, it's understandable that one can overlook this age.

Too me personally TMNT are hands down winners for the Copper Age, with Phone Bone a runner up amongst that wild and crazy age.

How come we can't have characters like that 1998-2000 to present that we can immediately universally agree upon?

:gossip:Sandman, The Crow, Predator/Alien, Dave Stevens very near and dear in my heart too.

Copper. With the Copper Section on the boards as well as the New Registry Award, it's understandable that one can overlook this age.

Too me personally TMNT are hands down winners for the Copper Age, with Phone Bone a runner up amongst that wild and crazy age.

How come we can't have characters like that 1998-2000 to present that we can immediately universally agree upon?

:gossip:Sandman, The Crow, Predator/Alien, Dave Stevens very near and dear in my heart too.

doh! Darn copper age, lol

Yea, 1998-2000 to present is a hard one. How about the top 5, that may work.

Thus the point I'm trying to get across in this thread. No matter how terrific the book is written(TWD, L&K, Chew), the main characters are not household enough to warrant iconic status and no matter how cool the characters are created(NYX, Harley Quinn, Goon) they cannot cross-over into the mainstream awareness due to lack of comic interest. What is happening here?

Thus the point I'm trying to get across in this thread. No matter how terrific the book is written(TWD, L&K, Chew), the main characters are not household enough to warrant iconic status and no matter how cool the characters are created(NYX, Harley Quinn, Goon) they cannot cross-over into the mainstream awareness due to lack of comic interest. What is happening here?

+1

Needless to say more people in the mainstream know about Harry Potter and Vandermont or Edward and Bella than The Goon and Franky. Is this a shift in children's preferred literature to not yield one household main character in funny books for over a decade? So what is the main reason the new characters are not registering to the conscience of new fans that might embrace them.

The characters in the Walking Dead may not hit an iconic status, but they are becoming household names now due to the popularity of the show. After visiting both sides of the family with the wife today for the holidays there were talks about this show that I had nothing to do with bringing up. There were members of my family and the wife's who could name off Rick, Shane and even Daryl (yeah I know not from the comics) who I would have never guessed would be into that type of show.

The ratings this show is getting now kind of proves these are becoming household names. Sure they are no Clark Kent or Peter Parker but they at least leading the way for moderns. The only way TWD will ever get to a TMNT type of status would be if a major channel somehow bought out the show from AMC like NBC or ABC but that will never happen. Hell who knows maybe Kirkman will successful cross the show over to be a popular Saturday morning cartoon, you never know. :)

I do agree though if Modern is from 1980 and on then TMNT wins hands down.

The characters in the Walking Dead may not hit an iconic status, but they are becoming household names now due to the popularity of the show. After visiting both sides of the family with the wife today for the holidays there were talks about this show that I had nothing to do with bringing up. There were members of my family and the wife's who could name off Rick, Shane and even Daryl (yeah I know not from the comics) who I would have never guessed would be into that type of show.

The ratings this show is getting now kind of proves these are becoming household names. Sure they are no Clark Kent or Peter Parker but they at least leading the way for moderns. The only way TWD will ever get to a TMNT type of status would be if a major channel somehow bought out the show from AMC like NBC or ABC but that will never happen. Hell who knows maybe Kirkman will successful cross the show over to be a popular Saturday morning cartoon, you never know. :)

I do agree though if Modern is from 1980 and on then TMNT wins hands down.

WD is the most talk about show on Mondays at my place of work. I am banned from talking about it till Tuesday because I read them all. They DVR the show or watch it Sunday nights and talk all day about it Monday. I loved telling them to watch for whats in the barn it had everyone guessing. I have been dropping hints about the prison as well. This is a group of around 25 people who none have ever watched anything remotely zombie related before the age group is 35-55.

I don't see why other media can't be contenders to produce the most "influential modern comic" character?

Rick Grimes--I don't get The Walking Dead love, but the TV show's popular even among non-comic readers. I see it as a passing fad, however (a la Preacher, Y: The Last Man, and 100 Bullets--all of these were superb, but will never be as influential as Sandman).

What? how do you think it's a passing trend? The WD print runs have surpassed some mainstream titles. That's not a fad, that's popularity. CHEW is a fad, the WD now is more popular than Preacher and Y have ever been. Hard to say this, but it is true.