• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age Newstand Photo

40 posts in this topic

Surprising how deeply stocked the Atlas books were, or were comics all delivered in the same quantities?

I find it hard to believe that this colorfull display would not attract the youth of today...particularly at 1976 cover prices

newsstand.jpg

From that photo, we can date it to somewhere around February 12, 1975, based on a few eBay sourcings: Comics then came out to newsstands at different times, so I'm going to bet Valentine's Day weekend.

Giant Size Marvel Triple Action 1 - February 12

Marvel Team Up 32, January 28

Dr. Strange 6, January 11 (so one would assume the 7 would be a month later, roughly)

newsstand.jpg

From that photo, we can date it to somewhere around February 12, 1975, based on a few eBay sourcings: Comics then came out to newsstands at different times, so I'm going to bet Valentine's Day weekend.

I just went to GCD to get the date for one of the more obvious books, such as the Astonishing Tales on the front row, and then entered the cover month and year  into the Newsstand section on  Mike's Amazing World of Comics.   Like you said, there are many on sale from January 75, fewer from February. Always interesting to go back and look at a virtual newsstand on his website.     :)

Just had another look at Mike's website, on sale dates range from mid December 74 (GS Dracula,  some Atlas), January 75 (most Marvel and DC) through to February 11th (Warren Spirit).

I recall  buying a lot of these from the bus station comic book racks.

Most of the books shown were distributed to England, but as  Marvel All-Colour Comics pence variants (no Giant Size titles) or were otherwise ink-stamped or stickered with a pence price on the cover.