• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1940's - 60's Raunchy Humor Cartoon Magazines

31 posts in this topic

There really is no rhyme or reason to what these Men's magazines bring at auction. Was recently bidding on these two mags and was no where near the final prices.

th_100_5425.jpg

$252.50

Gee, I always thought that getting some beaver was a good thing...

There really is no rhyme or reason to what these Men's magazines bring at auction. Was recently bidding on these two mags and was no where near the final prices.

th_100_5425.jpg

$252.50

Gee, I always thought that getting some breaver was a good thing...

Ohhhh, I just remembered what that is a $250 magazine... Maybe somebody already pointed this out, but the "rodents ripped my flesh" headline is the basis for that Frank Zappa album and cover, "Weasels Ripped My Flesh."

Seriously? lol

Actually I was mistaken, there's another magazine that specifically says "Weasels Ripped My Flesh." Zappa chose that as the album title because he thought those men's magazines were amusing. Here is the Zappa album, and here are the mags in question, with art by Wil Hulsey:

119764.jpg.f4386ccc9a57101aa3e18b68de27ffcc.jpg

119765.jpg.08553f59239af3d7f1fdd171f0163e2d.jpg

119766.jpg.1b5775dd28ca7cd1d6f78eaa475a9b1d.jpg

Yeah, these are like that with the one page gags/cartoons but they do have the pin-ups.

True, I guess I wasn't looking that closely at the details of the mags. I like how those are colored, kind of a duotone thing. Take note of the signature(s) of the artists doing the cartoons. Some of those guys are famous in their own right, and some went on to work for Playboy, Penthouse, etc. Here's a pic I posted in this forum a few months ago, with the top area showing some of the one-panel girly cartoon mags in my collection. I have no idea what these are worth either, because they don't show up on eBay often and even when they do, I usually don't notice them (they're often buried in different categories, and I don't have keyword searches for them because they mostly tend to have unique titles).

magazines-rare.jpg

Lecho Mag :takeit:

I didn't know that a men's sweat magazine was the inspiration for the Zappa album title, I just figured the title was a bit of drug induced absurdity like "Trout Mask Replica"

I didn't know either until I started reading about the history of the men's mags. I found a terrific blog here ....this guy really knows his stuff! I strongly recommend it.

Thanks for mentioning Trout Mask Replica....it's very hard to forget that album cover! I must admit I am not very familiar with Captain Beefheart's stuff. Somebody made me a compilation tape a long time ago and I appreciated it but did not listen to it often. I just looked up the album on Wikipedia and thought this passage was amusing:

Cartoonist and writer Matt Groening tells of listening to Trout Mask Replica at the age of 15: "I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. I said to myself, they're not even trying! It was just a sloppy cacophony. Then I listened to it a couple more times, because I couldn't believe Frank Zappa could do this to me – and because a double album cost a lot of money. About the third time, I realised they were doing it on purpose; they meant it to sound exactly this way. About the sixth or seventh time, it clicked in, and I thought it was the greatest album I'd ever heard".[7][18] John Harris of The Guardian later discussed the idea that the album requires several listens to "get it", concluding that it "still sounded awful" after six listens.[2] Filmmaker David Lynch has called Trout Mask Replica his favorite album of all time,[19] and John Lydon has also listed the album as one of his favourites, noting, "The first time I played that album, I laughed all the way through."

On another note related to weird album titles, you reminded me that Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" is derived from a random story they found in a newspaper:

The title track was to have been called "The Amazing Pudding", though Ron Geesin's original score referred to it as "Epic". Its name was changed after Geesin—who co-wrote the piece and arranged the orchestration on the recording—pointed to a copy of the Evening Standard (dated Thursday 16 July 1970), and suggested to Roger Waters that he would find a title in there. The headline was: "ATOM HEART MOTHER NAMED", a story about a woman being fitted with a nuclear powered pacemaker.

Weasels ripped my atom heart mother's flesh but she was wearing a trout mask replica so it was OK.

[

Cartoonist and writer Matt Groening tells of listening to Trout Mask Replica at the age of 15: "I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. I said to myself, they're not even trying! It was just a sloppy cacophony. Then I listened to it a couple more times, because I couldn't believe Frank Zappa could do this to me – and because a double album cost a lot of money. About the third time, I realised they were doing it on purpose; they meant it to sound exactly this way. About the sixth or seventh time, it clicked in, and I thought it was the greatest album I'd ever heard".[7][18] John Harris of The Guardian later discussed the idea that the album requires several listens to "get it", concluding that it "still sounded awful" after six listens.[2] Filmmaker David Lynch has called Trout Mask Replica his favorite album of all time,[19] and John Lydon has also listed the album as one of his favourites, noting, "The first time I played that album, I laughed all the way through."

As a teenager I had a friend who was a Captain Beefheart fan and tried to convince me of the album's genius. Let's just say in the 35 years since, I've never made it to six listens.