• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre-Vertigo Crossovers?

28 posts in this topic

Death appears in an issue of captain atom, #42 from june 1990

Good stuff!

I googled up a blogpost with that #42 interior. Death is alongside Jack Kirby's New God equivalent "Black Racer".

Death: "It's a big concept. There's room for more than one of us."

batesdeath.jpgCaptain_Atom_Vol_1_42.jpg

Another thing to remember is while Karen Berger certainly deserves a lot of credit for laying the groundwork in the 1980s that made her Vertigo imprint possible, it wasn't all her doing. Len Wein was the editor of the earliest Alan Moore issues of Saga of the Swamp Thing, and there were other "literary" -- and only nominally super-hero-- 1980s series like The Question that had nothing to do with Berger.

Thanks for all the info. That period is so rich for exploring. I might spend some time on 'Mike's Amazing World of Comics' looking at what titles/issues were coming out alongside each other.

In fact, thanks to all. :applause: I was hoping to learn by starting the thread, and this crew doesn't disappoint. :cloud9:

I've started collecting the old Spectre Adventure Comics run recently. It occurred to me having reread these stories after so many years that the run was really a horror based theme. Would this count as pre-Vertigo?

adventure440.jpg

I've started collecting the old Spectre Adventure Comics run recently. It occurred to me having reread these stories after so many years that the run was really a horror based theme. Would this count as pre-Vertigo?

Nice book! (thumbs u :applause: Those Spectre Adventures are great, aren't they. Classic run. :cloud9:

Well, it's certainly a pre-Vertigo appearance of Spectre, but that "pre-Vertigo" period looks loosely defined as 1981, when Karen Berger became DC editor, until late '92 when Vertigo Previews #1 came out beginning the Vertigo Imprint.

The Spectre has that pre-Vertigo feel, always has with his dark origin. He was prominent in The Books Of Magic mentioned earlier. And that outstanding Swamp Thing Annual #2 that prompted this thread.

Swamp_Thing_Annual_Vol_2_2.jpg

From memory I was counting Ostrander and Mandrake's phenomenal Spectre run (vol.3), but it shows as 1993. So even though it doesn't make the timeline that run diffidently benefited from a focus on quality storytelling. (maybe I'll count it anyway. ;) )

Spectre-v3-06.jpg