• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Best Star Wars Lego Corporate Response Ever

63 posts in this topic

Playing with an Anakin (pre-dark side) toy would be like playing with a pre-1939 Hitler doll and saying: "well, its ok because this doll portrays the character before he started WW2 and committed all that genocide".

You cant be serious.....

I believe it to be a fair comparison. Just looking at the movie history alone and not the books or extended universe, Anakin would have been responsible for, or at least in a position to prevent, the deaths of millions of lifeforms.

Whether it's Alderaan, Ewoks, or whatever. The Empire is very closely modeled after the SS anyway. The uniforms, the "stormtroopers", the large assemblies of same perfectly lined up. Comparing the Emperor and Darth Vader to the Third Reich is not a stretch at all specifically because it was intended to resemble such.

But we are talking about the extended universe and the context of the toys themselves are we not? Sorry but Clone Wars Anakin in Poncho does not equal High School Hitler with Painting Gear :shrug:

Explain to me what the difference is...

The difference is that this is fiction. The main story line of all 6 star wars movies is Anakin's Fall & Redemption. (You can argue about how successful that is of course...) It's a tale of Good redeemed from the grip of Evil. It's not about the deaths of billions on Alderaan. If you don't accept that Anakin is a good guy, an innocent, in the beginning of the story, then the end loses all meaning.

This is all 100% divorced from true life. Hitler's tale is not at all about redemption, or the fall of one man, or anything like that. It's about a bunch of horribly nasty mess one man did, and a bit larger, about the horrible things that can happen to a population given a set of not too extraordinary circumstances.

If Lucas borrows some of the outward trappings of the Third Reich as short cuts to explaining who people are, this doesn't mean that there's a one-to-one correlation.

Evil is evil. The fictional death of millions at the hands of one man still represents evil. I always thought that the "redemption" of Anakin at the end of ROTJ never served justice for all the evil Vader did. Saving his children from the dark side vs all that evil -- it does not balance on the scales of justice.

I always though that Lucas wimped out at the end by turning prehaps the greatest movie villian ever created into a wimpering simp. Sheesh.

wrt "evil is evil," the six million dead concentration camp victims would probably disagree with you

Mind you, 6 million people is a lot and is a horrible thing to have happened. Let's not forget the 20 million Russians that died either. More than twice the population of NYC.