• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wikipedia Is Blacked Out!

96 posts in this topic

I don't see a problem with copyright holders protecting their assets. I'm in the minority I guess. (shrug)

I don't think this is necessarily the way to go about it but there should be protection.

If Universal came after you and threatened to sue because you have the Wolfman as your avatar picture, would you still feel that way?

The dumbest thing about these bills is that anyone who knows anything about how the WWW works will still have no problems getting around any sort of blocks put in place to stop piracy. Whether it is using proxy servers overseas, or rotating P2P networks unless they put controls in place on individual pieces of hardware used to access the web they will achieve nothing other than gaining more control over the majority of the population. :(

.gov needs to be put in its place.

The dumbest thing about these bills is that anyone who knows anything about how the WWW works will still have no problems getting around any sort of blocks put in place to stop piracy. Whether it is using proxy servers overseas, or rotating P2P networks unless they put controls in place on individual pieces of hardware used to access the web they will achieve nothing other than gaining more control over the majority of the population. :(

.gov needs to be put in its place.

Yep, it's one thing to pass a law, and another to enact it.

I don't see a problem with copyright holders protecting their assets. I'm in the minority I guess. (shrug)

I don't think this is necessarily the way to go about it but there should be protection.

If Universal came after you and threatened to sue because you have the Wolfman as your avatar picture, would you still feel that way?

According to the spirit and interpretation of what SOPA and PIPA define as a violation, the boards would be "enabling" or "faciliating" the infringement by providing a platform for a user to commit copyright infringement, and the forum would itself be in violation.

Watch this video as it probably best encapsulates the thresholds and ways these acts might play out, and the kinds of scenarios, sites and activity which could be construed as illegal.

I'm sure we've all heard how this would threaten sites like Wiki, Google, Twitter, Facebook and a number of social Web properties that link people to various online content and sites around the world.

But according to the way the acts define illegal activity, I can't even see how sites like eBay or PayPal could operate under these new regulations (as both these sites are huge platforms facilitating and enabling everything from the way ads are served, to the way revenue is passed along to affiliate and network sites):

The problem that this law is trying to address is that there is currently no way to enforce copyright laws on websites outside of a particular nation's jurisdiction.

For websites in the United States, we already have reasonable copyright enforcement. Just try posting new TV shows to YouTube and see how long they stay up.

Websites in countries with no copyright laws can't really be touched right now, though.

It's definately an issue that needs to be addressed, but these bills are not well thought out.

Ultimately, we are going to need some way of enforcing reasonable copyright protections in countries that just don't care to do it. I think that the ISPs and Googles of the world should probably be thinking about what a good plan for this would look like, and offer our congresscritters some suggestions.

I suspect that any useful answer is going to require coming up with an international consensus though, since this affects the whole world.

Yes I would feel the same way.

If there was a reasonable outlet such as an iTunes for copyrighted material where I could pay a small royalty for use of an image I'd be happy to pay it.

I'm sure many people would be willing to use such a service because generally most people do like to work within the confines of the law despite what the Y generation believes the Internet is suppose to be.

If there was a reasonable outlet such as an iTunes for copyrighted material where I could pay a small royalty for use of an image I'd be happy to pay it.

I'm sure many people would be willing to use such a service because generally most people do like to work within the confines of the law despite what the Y generation believes the Internet is suppose to be.

BTW, Happy Birthday Buffyfan!! :applause:

http://gawker.com/5877192/stupid-high-school-kids-and-teachers-freak-out-over-wikipedia-blackout

:roflmao: Wow...teachers of all things, how did they become a teacher?

Don't even know how to research?

Yeah, wiki is great, but to chose one source and never search beyond a user controlled site, :roflmao:

Regardless, Can't wait to see "Stop Online Piracy Act/Protect IP Act" burn in hell.

(Because you can't abbreviate it at the CGC forums)

Then why put a law this restrictive in place? Why not provide these "resonable outlets" for their purchase? You're right - it worked for the music industry with itunes. The MPAA could do something similar to combat this issue from websites based out of foreign countries instead of trying to police what you and I get to see on our internet. And awesome generalization about the Y generation. Its those attitudes and broad generalizations that lead to this type of legislation.

I'm frustrated because this is all a big push by the MPAA to try to control their properties through force. Instead of looking at a paradigm shift in their business model, they would rather keep it as it has always been. The big movie studios were scared of VCR's at one time too.