• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM 83 Diamond Run pedigree CGC VF/NM 9.0 White pages

32 posts in this topic

Hmmm, there's a rather large color-breaking crease in the lower right corner, and a spine stress halfway between the "Introducing Thor" blurb and his hammer swing (and several other spine stresses can be seen on the blow-up). Color is nice and bright, but I'm not sure I'd agree it's a 9.0. Looks like a grade bump for the pedigree to me...

You forgot the stain on the M! tongue.gif

It's about 4 full points better than any I'll ever hope to own. shy.gif

This book is being sold as a relatively rapid flip. Blazing Bob sold this copy just within the past year. I guess the rationale behind the grade assignment is that the book would be a 9.4-9.6 without the LRC crease, hence the 9.0 final tally.

JIM83 from Blazing

Hmmm, there's a rather large color-breaking crease in the lower right corner, and a spine stress halfway between the "Introducing Thor" blurb and his hammer swing (and several other spine stresses can be seen on the blow-up). Color is nice and bright, but I'm not sure I'd agree it's a 9.0. Looks like a grade bump for the pedigree to me...

It is true that if you read the OGG, color breaking creases aren't even supposed to be allowed in 8.0. Of course, the rest of the book is stunning, other than two or three minor spine bumps, and it looks very similar to the other exemplar books in the 9.0 section of the guide (which contradict the text of the guide). I'd have gone with 8.5 because of the large crease and spine stress, but I don't grade comics for a living either.

Looks overgraded to me too. In addition to the flaws previously noted, there is also a "thumb" stress on the middle of the right hand edge and some color flaking on the bottom left hand corner (Love those jumbo Heritage scans). Still a very nice book though!

Hmmm, there's a rather large color-breaking crease in the lower right corner, and a spine stress halfway between the "Introducing Thor" blurb and his hammer swing

That is NOT fair, and is a blatant grade-bump due to its pedigree status.

Go take a Bronze NM+ comic, put a similar-sized, deep corner fold on it, dent the spine and then send it in.

CGC 7.5-8.0.

Hmmm, there's a rather large color-breaking crease in the lower right corner, and a spine stress halfway between the "Introducing Thor" blurb and his hammer swing

That is NOT fair, and is a blatant grade-bump due to its pedigree status.

Go take a Bronze NM+ comic, put a similar-sized, deep corner fold on it, dent the spine and then send it in.

CGC 7.5-8.0.

I have to agree that is disgusting. I knew what to expect from GA issues but some of the grades I have been seeing on books from the SA and up lately have been a little ridiculous. The book in this thread http://www.comicspriceguide.com/forum2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14400&whichpage=1 is a lot newer and NOT pedigree yet seems to have been graded really loosely. Unless that book got the lower left corner crease while in the slab (which I doubt), this is one of the ugliest 9.6's I have seen on a book that is less than 20 years old.

Well, the bump has taken this book up to $21,275 (with BP), so to get over the reserve someone would have to be willing to pay $21,850 (with BP). Whoever the seller is, he's definitely swinging for the fences. foreheadslap.gif Is someone really willing to pay this price for a 9.0 JIM 83, and break the reserve? Didn't a 9.0 copy sell on eBay just a few months ago for $16K or so?

Well, the bump has taken this book up to $21,275 (with BP), so to get over the reserve someone would have to be willing to pay $21,850 (with BP).

What's amusing is that Heritage really expects people to believe that all of these auctions have suddenly been bid right up to "next bid meets reserve" like the participants are Kreskin and can predict exactly to one-step-below the reserve.

Either they're stupid or think their customers are. Either way, it's pure comedy. insane.gif

On another note, what happens with the obviously-fake Heritage data if the auction doesn't meet reserve?

Does GPA, ComicSheet or other comic price data trackers use this Heritage "final bid, but did not meet reserve" chicanery in any way?

Actually, Heritage has made it much clearer that some one has NOT bid up a book to get to the current bid, but in fact it was raised to get the next bid to meet the reserve. Plus, they now tell you if the reserve has been posted yet, or if a book doesn't have a reserve on it.

Also, if a book doesn't meet reserve, it doesn't show up in GPAnalysis. When you search Heritage's site, you can look at the archives to see all sales and if you want, what books didn't sell (but it won't show you the bid or reserve).

Actually, Heritage has made it much clearer that some one has NOT bid up a book to get to the current bid, but in fact it was raised to get the next bid to meet the reserve.

Where do they state this?

Actually, Heritage has made it much clearer that some one has NOT bid up a book to get to the current bid, but in fact it was raised to get the next bid to meet the reserve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you look at the detail of the book, it will say:

1) Reserve (in any) not posted or

2) No Reserve or

3) Next bid meets Reserve

Once the auction ends, it will either have a SALE PRICE or a NOT SOLD (but no amount) by the listing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you look at the detail of the book, it will say:

1) Reserve (in any) not posted or

2) No Reserve or

3) Next bid meets Reserve

No, I mean the original question.

Where do they state exactly, that the comic in question HAS NOT been bid up to that pre-reserve amount, and is instead automatically bumped?

No, I mean the original question.

Where do they state exactly, that the comic in question HAS NOT been bid up to that pre-reserve amount, and is instead automatically bumped?

You are correct that it is possible that a book could be bid up to the "Next bid meets reserve", as oppose to being bumped up to that amount. But remember that they don't put a reserve on a book until a few days before the auction. That's good because the seller might see a book is really close to the reserve and therefore decides no reason to put a reserve on the book.