• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CALLING ALL PEDIGREE EXPERTS.........

38 posts in this topic

Also, the great thing about big high grade collections is that dealers, surrounded by stacks of NM and better books, tend to start undergrading. A book they would usually call NM+ gets only a NM-, because it isn't quite as perfect as the surrounding beauties. I think this happened with the Northland collection. I have books graded VF/NM that look spectacular.

I bought some of those books from Vinnie at a local show, I own the Adventure 416 Oakland and it's not on the list. He kept pretty good records, so they list you are seeing is not complete, it's what was for sale that day. He was selling these books as fast as he could get the cash in.

Also, the great thing about big high grade collections is that dealers, surrounded by stacks of NM and better books, tend to start undergrading. A book they would usually call NM+ gets only a NM-, because it isn't quite as perfect as the surrounding beauties. I think this happened with the Northland collection. I have books graded VF/NM that look spectacular.

Yes, Robert Roter will tell you that many of the 9.4s in the Pacific Coast collection were really 9.6s, but got undergraded by CGC because they didn't look quite as spectacular as the surrounding books.

Banner, your post has got to have set some kind of record for single longest post ever! Makes me sing the Rawhide theme: "Scrolling scrolling scrolling, keep that thread a-going..."

Banner, your post has got to have set some kind of record for single longest post ever! Makes me sing the Rawhide theme: "Scrolling scrolling scrolling, keep that thread a-going..."

I just wish I had the complete list, that would've set the record fer sure! devil.gif

Back to the Diamond Run pedigree for a moment. An e-bay seller out of Boston by the handle of "sbl" sells books from this pedigree periodically. I purchased the HOS 92 (cgc 9.0) from the pedigree from this seller. I do not know anything more about this seller and pedigree - Blazing Bob certainly would, as a former seller of both the AF15 (9.4) and JIM83 (9.0) books.

i found this site as a fluke really. i was bored the other day and did a search for my dad's name. Wasn't I suprised to learn that he has a pedigree named after him. Recil Macon. What a wonderful thrill it was to see dear old dad's name talked about so often ! I still cry that he sold all his comics, but they were his and he never fretted or whined that he sold them off for such a low price ! I will scroll through the posts here and see what you collectors (treasure hunters) have to say. Again thanks to all of you for the wonderful Title and heritage that my dad's name has left to you !

Mickey E Macon

Monticello, Ar

Well, if it's any consolation, think of it this way....your dad's books are now being cared for and appreciated by folks who know their importance. And his name is honored in the naming of the pedigree after him.

thumbsup2.gif

Found this on the web.....

PEDIGREES. What makes a book or collection of books so special that they deserve the title of pedigree? Outstanding quality, rarity, and...well darn it, just some nice comic books!

What follows is a few stories of some of the most famous and popular collections in the market today, their desirability among collectors, and most importantly, how to identify each pedigree, though this is difficult for many collectors. Comics Guaranty, LLC (CGC) has a team of experts that are able to identify many books from these pedigree collections.

RECIL MACON

In Abilene, Texas, 1990, this pedigree, similar in characteristics to the Lamont Larson collection, surfaced. The collector, Recil Macon, read comics during the 1940's and had a habit of writing his name on the books. Despite this, his collection was somewhat properly stored, as the collection exhibits white pages and beautiful colors and gloss. Unfortunately, they were stacked haphazardly, and many books were bent and became warped. As a result, cleaned and pressed Recil Macon copies are not uncommon.

In 1990 the son of Recil Macon began selling the collection off to Darren Wilson, a part-time dealer in the area. The collection numbered in the thousands and consisted of many early Timely, Quality, and DC. A few keys present included All-American #16, Captain America #1, Marvel Mystery #2-30, and Human Torch #1.

IDENTIFICATION- The main method to identify a Recil Macon is to locate the name written on the book. The location varies; the name can appear on the front cover, back cover, first page, centerfold, inside front cover, or any combination and sometimes multiple times. The name is written either in Pencil or Pen. Also present on many copies is the distributor code    Mid-C. Using these two distinct markings identifying a Recil Macon becomes relatively easy.

DESIRABILITY- The two main detractors of a Recil Macon copy can be either the name (especially when written several times or in pen) or the warping from improper storage. But because of the fresh appearance of the books, along with minimal technical flaws, Recil Macons are quite desirable and currently bring 2x to 3x guide.

this is a list of the pedigree's I have compiled. It would be a fascinating book if someone were to write one on the history and background on each pedigree.

The book that everyone has been asking for is finally coming! Take a fascinating trip into part of the hobby that has been shrouded in mystery for over 25 years. Given pedigrees' enormous influence on grading and investment value, this book will serve not only as a fun read, but an indispensable tool when buying and selling. Learn the secrets that have been closely held by industry insiders for decades, and find out why pedigreed comics dazzle even the most jaded collectors. You may even discover one in your collection!

In the works for over two years, Comic Book Pedigrees will contain everything you could possibly want to know about these amazing books. Among some of the topics included:

what makes a pedigree collection

the origin and evolution of pedigrees

pedigree influence in the marketplace

how to identify a pedigree comic

pictures to illustrate markings

the story behind 50 different pedigreed collections

original lists made upon discovery, including the famed Mile High

each collection ranked by quality and quantity

Release date is scheduled for early 2005. Reserve your copy now and receive a signed copy before newsstand release. And your name will be entered for a drawing to win a Mile High comic, as well as other pedigree prizes. More details to come …

I still cry that he sold all his comics, but they were his and he never fretted or whined that he sold them off for such a low price ! I will scroll through the posts here and see what you collectors (treasure hunters) have to say.

Mickey E Macon

Monticello, Ar

From Red Hook's info. "In 1990 the son of Recil Macon began selling the collection off to Darren Wilson, a part-time dealer in the area."

confused.gif