• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

general question about a dealer and return policy...

171 posts in this topic

I have a real problem with this thread on so many levels...

(1) Your vague insinuations - particularly regarding location - have every boarder jumping to conclusions and I'm now getting PMed even though it is not me.

(2) You've started a thread in General to crucify a dealer, even though you have refused to address the matter with the offending party.

(3) You returned the item because you decided you 'didn't want it', not that it had been misrepresented, and even though the seller took it back without qualms - something that can't be said about too many dealers - you want to publicly castigate him because you lost 3.9% of what you paid. Instead of praising a superb returns policy that allows you to send stuff back that you no longer like, you want to instead person_without_enough_empathy and moan?

I don't really see the issue with the OP's initial post. It reads as a hypothetical. Whether or not anyone else thinks his concerns are valid or if he's splitting hairs over 3.9 percent is inconsequential. Neither you nor I get to decide how somebody else should feel about a situation.

I don't follow the bolded part of your response. That's like saying instead of complaining that the air conditioning in my car isn't cold enough I should praise the fact that my car has air conditioning at all....even if it isn't working properly. Don't people expect sellers to have a return policy? Doesn't every seller worth his salt have a return policy? Does it matter what the reason is for my wanting to return something? Having a return policy ought to be a given (according to the masses) and not some extra, super-duper, special gift to buyers from benevolent sellers.

Should the OP have contacted the seller originally? Sure, I would. So that's a bit dopey. But there's still nothing wrong with his original question. Perhaps if other people would simply answer the question as it is posed (if you get a refund less than what you paid is that cool?) instead of prying for more details and begging for names to be outed, maybe it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

There are lots of return policies that only allow returns for a particular set of reasons. And lots of companies will only offer an exchange, or a return for store credit. So no, a full, no questions asked return policy is not a given.

Now, if a 3rd party payment system, which the buyer used in making his purchase, is taking a cut from the refund, it's certainly not a given that the seller needs to pony up the difference. If the buyer didn't pay for the seller's paypal fees, why would it be assumed that the seller should pay for the buyer's paypal fees?

Well, if the IRS quibbles over the refund being a payment, then the OP can show the IRS where he originally "bought" the book. The two transactions will negate one another or he may even be able to claim a loss as he "sold" it for less than he paid.

Does everyone understand that when someone issues a refund via PayPal in the correct manner that PayPal actually refunds the seller most of the fees originally paid when they took the payment in the first place? Again if the seller issued a refund in the correct manner they actually get back their own fees and the seller doesn't pay the fees a 2nd time.

It makes ZERO sense for a seller not to click issue refund in the transaction in question when using PayPal.

Did you not read GACollectibles post?

Amount of your refund aside, I can think of one valid reason why you would get payment via credit card through Paypal rather than available Paypal funds or matching the format that you paid-

I will tell you from years of experience that I do not usually maintain an available Paypal balance nor do I maintain any significant balance in the attached checking account due to the potential funds "freeze" that Paypal can initiate at any given time, whether warranted or not. If the dealer does not keep an active Paypal balance to issue a refund there are choices for funding, one could use transfer from checking account or credit card. Transfer from checking is fine if the funds are in there.

Since buyers can file Paypal claims at the drop of a hat Paypal will freeze/withdraw funds from the account, and if not enough in there, from the attached checking. The last time that happened to me I had $1000 withdrawn 3 months after the completion of a buyer's admitted satisfactory transaction. There is no recourse to contest the withdrawal before it happens, so I don't take the risk of screwing up my checking account. This buyer you are dealing with may have the same strategy.

When it comes to the refund source, the dealer could be using a debit card or credit card, you wouldn't know the difference. Ultimately if you got the funds back, what does it matter what the source was? When you say "your refund isn't exactly what you paid" is that in reference to lack of shipping reimbursement or you got less money due to fees taken out? If it was a fee issue, that was an error made at time of refund, fees could have been covered, and a simple email to the dealer may have settled that issue..

What I find funny is that the OP is notorious for making stupid comments in threads to get attention, and he's doing now. Do you people actually think he bought something and returned it back overseas just because he doesn't like it? :facepalm:

He is seeking attention, thats it!

(1) Your vague insinuations - particularly regarding location - have every boarder jumping to conclusions and I'm now getting PMed even though it is not me.

(2) You've started a thread in General to crucify a dealer, even though you have refused to address the matter with the offending party.

(3) You returned the item because you decided you 'didn't want it', not that it had been misrepresented, and even though the seller took it back without qualms - something that can't be said about too many dealers - you want to publicly castigate him because you lost 3.9% of what you paid. Instead of praising a superb returns policy that allows you to send stuff back that you no longer like, you want to instead person_without_enough_empathy and moan?

I don't really see the issue with the OP's initial post. It reads as a hypothetical. Whether or not anyone else thinks his concerns are valid or if he's splitting hairs over 3.9 percent is inconsequential. Neither you nor I get to decide how somebody else should feel about a situation.

I don't follow the bolded part of your response. That's like saying instead of complaining that the air conditioning in my car isn't cold enough I should praise the fact that my car has air conditioning at all....even if it isn't working properly. Don't people expect sellers to have a return policy? Doesn't every seller worth his salt have a return policy? Does it matter what the reason is for my wanting to return something? Having a return policy ought to be a given (according to the masses) and not some extra, super-duper, special gift to buyers from benevolent sellers.

Should the OP have contacted the seller originally? Sure, I would. So that's a bit dopey. But there's still nothing wrong with his original question. Perhaps if other people would simply answer the question as it is posed (if you get a refund less than what you paid is that cool?) instead of prying for more details and begging for names to be outed, maybe it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

(A) Very few dealers actually offer a no-quibble, no reason return for your money back, so yes...the seller deserves better.

(B) The OP's post was not a hypothetical, nor does it read like one, so yes...people are going to whisper and guess.

© I forgot to mention that the OP should have the balls to name names instead of tarring many people with the same brush...although he didn't even have the balls to contact the seller about the problem, so what am I thinking? :facepalm:

What I find funny is that the OP is notorious for making stupid comments in threads to get attention, and he's doing now. Do you people actually think he bought something and returned it back overseas just because he doesn't like it? :facepalm:

He is seeking attention, thats it!

I know that is the sad thing. I ignored the fact the OP was who he was when I first responded with reasons why I wouldn't take a refund in this manner. I should have just ignored him.

Yes, if there isn't a problem with the book and you are returning it simply because you decided you didn't want it, then you are not due anything.

That's an opinion and not some legal precedent governing the sale of comic books if I'm not mistaken. I accept returns no questions asked and I cover return shipping expenses. If somebody wants to return a book then they want to return a book. I'm more concerned that my customer isn't happy (for whatever reason) than judging the merits of their reasoning. Oddly enough, I've never had to deal with insinuations, accusations or otherwise unhappy customers. Shocking!

If the seller decides to refund your purchase price, then don't complain about not being refunded shipping or having to pay a paypal fee.

That's what.

So you're the arbiter when it comes to whether or not one can complain about something such as this? Silly me, I didn't know people couldn't decide for themselves what they might have a problem with.

It isn't the seller's error.

So there has to be a seller's error? People can't just decide that once in hand they aren't happy with the book without having to be explicit about why?

Perhaps my public school education is doing me a disservice here but IMO this simply boils down to a customer service issue. Apparently we just have different opinions on what truly good customer service is. No offense meant by that. I'm just saying. :foryou:

There are lots of return policies that only allow returns for a particular set of reasons. And lots of companies will only offer an exchange, or a return for store credit. So no, a full, no questions asked return policy is not a given.

I understand that. It's just my humble opinion that it ought to be a given. And therefore I operate under that policy. :foryou:

It's questions like the OP's that made me ask this.

Very true. I am editing my responses to Trippy Mcdippy in this thread now. Not sure why I let the troll bait me. I would suggest everyone else does the same thing so this thread just dies.

I don't really pay much attention to the dopes outside of the WC. My preference is for WC dopes. :grin:

That said, I have noticed that Trippy isn't exactly a forum favorite to put it nicely.

I just think his original question was fine and isn't particularly complicated IMO. Yes, you should get a FULL refund if you want to return something. And yes, as a seller you should cover the return expenses as well. It's just my opinion.

Yes, if there isn't a problem with the book and you are returning it simply because you decided you didn't want it, then you are not due anything.

That's an opinion and not some legal precedent governing the sale of comic books if I'm not mistaken. I accept returns no questions asked and I cover return shipping expenses. If somebody wants to return a book then they want to return a book. I'm more concerned that my customer isn't happy (for whatever reason) than judging the merits of their reasoning. Oddly enough, I've never had to deal with insinuations, accusations or otherwise unhappy customers. Shocking!

If the seller decides to refund your purchase price, then don't complain about not being refunded shipping or having to pay a paypal fee.

That's what.

So you're the arbiter when it comes to whether or not one can complain about something such as this? Silly me, I didn't know people couldn't decide for themselves what they might have a problem with.

It isn't the seller's error.

So there has to be a seller's error? People can't just decide that once in hand they aren't happy with the book without having to be explicit about why?

Perhaps my public school education is doing me a disservice here but IMO this simply boils down to a customer service issue. Apparently we just have different opinions on what truly good customer service is. No offense meant by that. I'm just saying. :foryou:

First, you haven't even read a copy of the seller's return policy, and as we don't even know who the seller is, all of this could have been spelled out beforehand if the OP had bothered to read the return policy.

Second, it isn't the seller's responsibility to correct the buyer's problem simply because he decided he no longer wanted a book. Some of the larger dealer would have given a store credit, or even worse, a shipping credit, and left it that.

Last, you are being nothing but argumentative. I'm just saying.

(A) Very few dealers actually offer a no-quibble, no reason return for your money back, so yes...the seller deserves better.

(B) The OP's post was not a hypothetical, nor does it read like one, so yes...people are going to whisper and guess.

© I forgot to mention that the OP should have the balls to name names instead of tarring many people with the same brush...although he didn't even have the balls to contact the seller about the problem, so what am I thinking? :facepalm:

A) They ought to. I offer a no questions asked return policy. No, I'm not a dealer. It's just the way I do business.

B) I disagree. The very first post in the thread doesn't state that it's a personal experience or anything other than merely a question regarding a hypothetical situation. I don't think you have to stipulate/flat out state its a hypothetical for people to understand it as such. Obviously, within the next couple of posts Trippy blew that notion up. I'm just saying that the original post didn't appear to me to be something sinister. This is CG though and drama rules the day so it isn't surprising that people poke, prod and otherwise turn every mole hill into a mountain.

C) Trippy certainly doesn't do himself any favors and I agree, it was a mistake on his part to start providing details and otherwise taking his question out of the realm of the hypothetical and into the real and allowing people to speculate. That's obviously wrong and I understand that impact and how it would bother you in particular based on the slim details he provided.

First, you haven't even read a copy of the seller's return policy, and as we don't even know who the seller is, all of this could have been spelled out beforehand if the OP had bothered to read the return policy.

You're correct on all counts. Everything could have been spelled out to the OP originally and thus he might not have a leg to stand on. But that's neither here nor there. I could simply say that perhaps it wasn't clearly spelled out. What'd be the point? It's simply redundant. We're left merely to speculate and perhaps add our anecdotes/opinions and 2c

Second, it isn't the seller's responsibility to correct the buyer's problem simply because he decided he no longer wanted a book. Some of the larger dealer would have given a store credit, or even worse, a shipping credit, and left it that.

I understand that many sellers don't offer a no questions asked return policy and that others would tell you to go pound sand. I simply let it be known that I don't have a problem offering a NQA policy and covering return expenses in full. I certainly appreciate sellers who do likewise. And no, I don't think there has to be a pinpoint reason for returning a book. That's just my opinion.

Last, you are being nothing but argumentative. I'm just saying.

Sorry. I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of. I have my opinions regarding what I think is a "good" return policy and I'm sharing them is all. :foryou:

Now, if a 3rd party payment system, which the buyer used in making his purchase, is taking a cut from the refund, it's certainly not a given that the seller needs to pony up the difference. If the buyer didn't pay for the seller's paypal fees, why would it be assumed that the seller should pay for the buyer's paypal fees?

Because that's the cost of doing business.

If you made a purchase at a store with a credit card, went back to return the item and was told that you'd be given a refund minus the fees incurred by the store in processing your credit card payment, would you be satisfied & praising this as a "superb return policy"? Of course, you wouldn't.

Because that's the cost of doing business.

If you made a purchase at a store with a credit card, went back to return the item and was told that you'd be given a refund minus the fees incurred by the store in processing your credit card payment, would you be satisfied & praising this as a "superb return policy"? Of course, you wouldn't.

DISCLAIMER: I'm talking out of my here, but that's what CG is for right?

I didn't think it was a case of the seller purposefully taking a cut out of the refund. It was Paypal that took the cut automatically. So, your analogy doesn't apply. If, in your case, the CC company took a percentage of the return amount, I would not hold that against the seller. Nor would I expect the seller to give a bit extra in the refund, to offset what the CC was charging me. This of course is completely unrelated to my opinion of Paypal or a CC company charging fees, the amount of those fees, or whatever.