• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of the Best Sketches: Dr. Doom Edition. !!! Poll on pg 6!!!

271 posts in this topic

I'm yet to compete in any of these challenges, but I've voted in plenty.

In my opinion, there should be a rule that after a certain number of successful title defences (maybe even after just one), the period of time until a champ can be challenged should be extended to six months.

I honestly think it cheapens the "best of the best" badge a bit if someone is being challenged every month. In theory, you could have a new "best" Doom 12 times a year (I know that's not likely in practice).

The initial champ has to beat a very wide field, compared to a challenger. Yes, if there happens to be more than one challenger at the same time we get the "battle royale" but very often it's one at a time.

If the wait period was extended, it would be more likely that there would be simultaneous challengers - that increases the chances that the "final" challenger would have beaten a decent field and be more "deserving" of the crown.

I totally get that people get cool sketches throughout the year and want to show them off and compete - but there's no need for it to happen immediately. I do think the prestige is wearing off a bit with the constant challenging.

Just my 2c

Thanks everyone for voting. I thought the challenger had a superb sketch and thought .... oh oh, trouble when I saw it. Honestly.I think some of the best sketches on the boards come up in this thread.

I agree with Balham's thoughts. Challengers could compete to make it to a title round (like boxing). You could have one-on-one competitions to see who advances or you could have groups compete periodically to see who advances ... then the winners move on to the championship round to take on the reigning champ. We might even see more sketches this way. My 2c

But overall, thanks to the guys that work so hard and put this together and make it come together so well. Awesome fun!

Idk I agree we probably need some more time say 3 months. 6 might be to long of a wait. Though I know if I was Hank I would be looking forward to crushing a new Doom every 30 days lol his sketch is a beast.

I think 2 months would be better hm

6 months might be too long - but I think 2 months is too short. Personally, I think 3 challenges in a calendar year would be a good maximum number.

We could have three criteria for a challenge to go ahead:

1) at least [x] months must have passed since the last challenge;

2) there must be at least [x] challengers for a challenge to proceed; and

3) no more than [x] challenges in a calendar year.

Maybe 3 would be a good minimum number of challengers - and once you've challenged and failed, you can't challenge again.

That way you ensure that the challenge at least represents meaningful competition. So if there happen to be 3 new challengers every 3 months, then fine - have a challenge every 3 months (subject to the yearly maximum). Otherwise you need to wait.

Personally, I'd much rather see a new Best of the Best for a different character than repeated challenges for an already crowned champion.

I think 2 months would be better hm

6 months might be too long - but I think 2 months is too short. Personally, I think 3 challenges in a calendar year would be a good maximum number.

We could have three criteria for a challenge to go ahead:

1) at least [x] months must have passed since the last challenge;

2) there must be at least [x] challengers for a challenge to proceed; and

3) no more than [x] challenges in a calendar year.

Maybe 3 would be a good minimum number of challengers - and once you've challenged and failed, you can't challenge again.

That way you ensure that the challenge at least represents meaningful competition. So if there happen to be 3 new challengers every 3 months, then fine - have a challenge every 3 months (subject to the yearly maximum). Otherwise you need to wait.

Personally, I'd much rather see a new Best of the Best for a different character than repeated challenges for an already crowned champion.

All good points hm

Another benefit I see from limiting the the number of challenges per year is that as the number of categories continues to grow, the number o potential challenges will grow. Add that to the regular ongoing challenge and the periodic new challenges thrown out by the Illuminati like the current copic challenge and you can easily reach overload for both the people administering the competition threads and the voters.

This Fantastic Four challenge slipped to the 2nd page on the signature forum and stayed there without the usual voting reminder. That may have been due in part to the wrap-up of the Zombie category, the start of the new Wonder Woman category, the introduction of the new Illuminati competitions and the start of the Copic competition. Plus there was the wrapup of the rRemark challenge, a Thanos challenge, a Deadpool challenge, an Avengers challenge, the start of a Jean Grey challenge, and nominations for a Spidey challenge.

That is a lot going on at one time.

The Champ

Hank Pym's Stephen Segovia

doomsegovia.jpg

^^ no one can take down Doom

As a five time champ (BotB_Doom_5TC.png), the revised rule 7 is in effect:

Revised Rule 7:

7) One Month after being declared the winner, A sketch may challenge for the title. The new challenger(s) must be nominated by 3 board members. After a sketch is a five time champ, challengers must wait three months before challenging. Additionally the challenge must be backed by five board members not including the sketches owner. In the event of multiple challengers wanting to take on the champ, they will first compete against each other in a battle royal. The winner of the battle royal will then get a title shot at the existing champ.

The Champ

Hank Pym's Stephen Segovia

doomsegovia.jpg

^^ no one can take down Doom

As a five time champ (BotB_Doom_5TC.png), the revised rule 7 is in effect:

Revised Rule 7:

7) One Month after being declared the winner, A sketch may challenge for the title. The new challenger(s) must be nominated by 3 board members. After a sketch is a five time champ, challengers must wait three months before challenging. Additionally the challenge must be backed by five board members not including the sketches owner. In the event of multiple challengers wanting to take on the champ, they will first compete against each other in a battle royal. The winner of the battle royal will then get a title shot at the existing champ.

Out of interest, have you read the last little bit of discussion in this thread? There seems to be a decent amount of support for fewer challenges and a longer time between them.

Having to win four challenges before getting a three month grace period seems a bit much.

Can you let us know what you think about the proposals that have been made: i.e. X months need to have passed, there must be X challengers and no more than X challenges in a calendar year? It would be nice to know that our comments are at least being considered by the people setting the rules.

Cheers,

Adam