• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Tony Moore ever done a sketch opp for these boards before?

52 posts in this topic

No Arjuna, I do know what I'm talking about. And I asked about the nicest way possible, but I still got shot down.

To put it in his own words "I don't do sketch covers anymore." Plain and simple.

The only reason Tony is mad is because he isn't making money of the TV Show. That's the basis of his lawsuit.

From talking with people close to Moore, I don't think there is any chance of ever getting sketches done at this point.

it's his loss , it's money in his pockets and he doesn't have to sue his friend and pay off lawyers to get it .

I agree man, I agree!

Look, Tony Moore created the visiual concept of The Walking Dead, no arguement there. But Kirkman was the one that "brought" it to life on the small screen.

If anything, Tony's to blame. There has to be reason why he only did the covers past the first couple of issues, right? And pretty much gave up after what, issue 15?

Look, Tony Moore created the visiual concept of The Walking Dead, no arguement there. But Kirkman was the one that "brought" it to life on the small screen.

If anything, Tony's to blame. There has to be reason why he only did the covers past the first couple of issues, right? And pretty much gave up after what, issue 15?

have to agree with adonis on this one

there is no doubt Kikrman works his off to get walking dead where it is today and to get the tv deal . Image didn't make him a partner for no reason .

in a business sense kirkman seems to knwo what he is doing . with skybound and the tv show and everything else that comes with it .

Not saying Moore doesn;t deserve his rightful cut with teh deal made between him and kirkman but kirkman is the one that stayed with teh comic , pushed it till issue 90+,came up with all teh craziness that has made the comic more popular than ever . MAde the tv deal did all the running around for the show .

moore seems to just want money coming in from all the hard work kirkman is pushing for .

everyone deserves to get a cut for the work they put forth , dont think it's fair to demand more when you arn't contributing any more and havn;t contributed for a while .

all said and done this is how i fell , i dont know the exact details but i see what i see and Moore needs to do more to show he deserves more . (shrug)

No, and he loves cancelling the London show after one of his fans specifically buys tickets to go see him even though he had to take special leave for this and has to travel 9 hours with two kids in the back seat to make it and already reserving two nights at a hotel in London...

Sorry it happened Hector.

Despite having a MooreLess London show...I am determined to make it a good one. I hear that Stan Lee and some other Top entertainment celebrities have bought multiple VIP tickets for the "Exclusive Chespirito Meet and Greet," if they play their cards right, I will personally draw coackroaches or Yost-type signatures on their comics/posters.

I have to get in on this one, Fear Agent is one of the most fantastic books I have seen it is truly outstanding and deserves respect. Reading wise I like Fear agent more than Walking Dead. I truly love the gritty style of The Walking Dead and I give equal credit to Tony and the other artists who worked on the book. But, the cover makes a book, a good cover will keep a good book around. Tony Moore is a true talent and he deserves more respect than people give him. I hope one day he can do as Jae Lee did with Namor and move on to covers only. I love Kirkman but I think he has done far better work than The Walking Dead. I think people should consider what is selling comics these days. If you care mainly about story the internet is an option, but when you see a awesome cover it is just exciting. Covers from Fables, Walking Dead, Fear Agent, Unwritten, North 40, Mouse Guard just to name a very few, the cover is everything. My hat is off to Kirkman for doing so many signings this year and doing such great work, I am also a fan of Adlard and Rathburn but artwork and covers sell books. I tell you who I am mad at and that is James Jean once I get the collection together I can not find him at any convention. I would also say I received a very nice email from one of my fav artists Simon Gane but sadly he will not be signing in the US this year. Dear Mr. Gane thank you so much for your wonderful artwork and please keep it going, hopefully you will be in the US soon.

As most of you know I am a huge fan of Walking Dead :cloud9:

I have spent some time with the Moores at conventions.

Tony does not sketch on blank covers any more because he feels like his detailed style doesn't translate well on the cover stock. He only stopped doing sketch covers the middle of 2011. Take it from some one who has two Moore Commissions you want him to fell 100% comfortable with what he is working with. :cloud9:

When it comes to remarks and sigs. He has designated signing times since he works on commissions all day at con. This time is usually at the end of the show for 1-2 hours. If you have ever seen his line during this time he would be there till 10 pm doing remarks.

If you want a sig it is free for the first 5 books but if the book is getting CGCd they charge $5 per book. You can not blame the guy he does art to make a living and when he sees people like blackstar comics list his sigs at $500 or more you can't blame him.

With the lawsuit...business is business

there are three sides to a story and I refuse to pick sides. It is sad that this has gone down but both Kirkman and Moore are in this industry to make a living. Being in the business world I have seen a lot more cut throat moves then suing a old partner over profits. :facepalm:

With canceling London--that sucks and I feel your pain. But the Moores have a family and we all know how that makes travel difficult especially with a little one at home. One thing I can tell you about Tony is he really appreciates his fans and always goes above a beyond with his con commissions.

I am done with my rantrant

He personalizes all commissions...if you a true fan and really enjoy his work you are not going to want to flip your idea that he brought to life.

And I have seen personalized sketches go for good money on ebay any way lol

Hey I wish he did remarks I would have 24 books for him to draw stuff on but that isnt the reality.

I have a WD #4 with a remark on it..PM me if interested :devil:

I am a massive sketch cover addict. It is the only way I want my OA.

That being said in NYCC with the help of my good buddy C-Raider I was able to get a great new venom OA sketch. Tony said he did not want to do commissions on sketch covers anymore.

It is one of my favorite art pieces. I feel like Moore's system is fair and plays to all of his fans. I had no issue with the price or the medium and I look forward to trying to get one again in the future!

I will agree that he puts more into the regular paper drawings vs what he did on covers, at least from my experience. When I got my Venom and my brother got his WD, I saw the amount of detail and time he spent on ours. Constantly adding this and that. Someone was getting a cover done and it was like a bust with no background lol

Both him and Kara were super nice and probably the most engaging artist-rep combo I have talked to in my limited time on the Con scene. While he was in the zone, I conversed with Kara about covers and Tony's runs on Ghost Rider, Punisher, the new Venom and of course WD. She expressed how it was sometimes hard for Tony to keep deadlines bc he pours so much time into his work, adding as much detail as possible. I mean the man worked on mine the whole auction and half a day. I am sure you Moore fans have seen the Wolverine he did for George Hage on CAF. He did this at the same show as ours...crazy detail. I took this as the reason he only takes a limited amount of commissions at a Con, to spend as much time on them as possible.

But I do agree with Adonis that he could make a mint busting out more sketches for people at Cons and from home. I guess he just has a certain level of art he expects to produce. I could be totally wrong on his reasoning but that was just my impression. If it was all about the money then why not do like another artist I saw at this same show. Over 1k for a full figure, and yes a few people paid it. Sure someone could resell and make a profit but what's the difference bn reselling a Moore sketch and buying some of the OA he had for sale and reselling that for profit? But like I said I am new and maybe I don't know the root reason they have an unyielding policy on sketches, personalization, sigs, remarks and that no one else can pick up your commission for you lol

I am a massive sketch cover addict. It is the only way I want my OA.

That being said in NYCC with the help of my good buddy C-Raider I was able to get a great new venom OA sketch. Tony said he did not want to do commissions on sketch covers anymore.

It is one of my favorite art pieces. I feel like Moore's system is fair and plays to all of his fans. I had no issue with the price or the medium and I look forward to trying to get one again in the future!

Congrats on that piece. It was nice seeing someone else get the new version of Venom. I have seen a couple on sketch covers...Arjuna maybe? But I think Tony said mine was the first on reg paper that he'd done at a Con :) I hope to try again myself one day.

I have a WD #4 with a remark on it..PM me if interested :devil:

Can I see a picture of that ?.. Not interested in buying ... just want to see ... (shrug)

If you want a sig it is free for the first 5 books but if the book is getting CGCd they charge $5 per book. You can not blame the guy he does art to make a living and when he sees people like blackstar comics list his sigs at $500 or more you can't blame him.

& just what is stopping them from buying books when they come out & signing them them self & selling on ebay ... honestly I wish some artists & writers would do that (shrug)

He personalizes all commissions...if you a true fan and really enjoy his work you are not going to want to flip your idea that he brought to life.

This.

I love Tony and Kara. I don't always like the business decisions they make (especially if it makes it tougher to get Tony to draw for me) but that is what they are - business decisions. Tony's penciling arm is how they buy groceries and formula. So I don't begrudge them any decision they make. For me, comics are a beloved hobby. For them, it is a means of making their way through life. Do what you gotta do, Moores.

This.

I love Tony and Kara. I don't always like the business decisions they make (especially if it makes it tougher to get Tony to draw for me) but that is what they are - business decisions. Tony's penciling arm is how they buy groceries and formula. So I don't begrudge them any decision they make. For me, comics are a beloved hobby. For them, it is a means of making their way through life. Do what you gotta do, Moores.

Well said.

I never get angry when an artist won't sketch or has limitations on what they will sketch on. Am I disappointed sure, but to get angry with an artist or to boycot them for that reason is just plan ridiculous.

I will line up for aTony Moore sketch every opportunity I get.

This.

Any idea who ended up winning the commission he did at the last Cincy con, was it a board member I honestly can't remember. I screwed up being the under bidder and I am still convinced my wife went out of her way to get me away from a computer during the final hours of the auction so I couldn't continue raising my bid. She actually watched me when I placed the high bid I agreed to with her so I didn't bid more. lol

I managed to sneak in a higher bid but it wasn't enough.

Also wow, 2 commission spots so far for Emerald City via Kara on eBay have snagged $860 and $881. Amazing, yeah I am guessing the amount of time he puts into one of these sketches during a full day he could make a few grand instead if he just did quick cover sketches at $50 to $100 a pop.