• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #1

28 posts in this topic

I don't have the book in hand yet, but according to the CGC website, it received a...

..wait for it...

... 3.0.

Well, congrats to you, but...

That's actually a travesty.

Still not as bad as the AF 15 3.0 with the massive water damage.

Here it is, in hand. Sorry for the bad picture, but you can see the salient detail, i.e. the inexplicable 3.0 in the upper left corner:

avengers1cgc.jpg

As I mentioned in the original post, i have no plans to ever get rid of this, so the grade is more of a curiosity than anything. I will be using this for insurance purposes, so I guess I do gain some theoretical value.

All in all I sent 4 books in to CGC. None of them ended up with the grade I expected (or that we on the boards predicted). This is probably the most egregious example of the four, though my ToS #59 that got a 6.5 instead of at least the 7.0 we all expected is still a mystery to me. I also sent in an All-Star Western #10 that we expected to get a 6.5 (came back a 7.0). And I never posted scans of it, but I also sent in a Boy Comics #6 that I bought off eBay as a 3.0 and it came back a 4.0. It displays like a 4.0 or even better but the original seller dinged it for structural issues; I suspect the golden age bounce put it back to 4.0 for CGC.

The bumps in theoretical insurance value for Avengers #1 and Boy Comics #6 more than pay for the cost of joining CGC and shipping the books off, so that's an unexpected bonus I guess. I'm less clear now than ever on current grading standards, though.

There are too many creases on the covers (it seems) to have it graded as a GVG 3.0.

It doesn’t make much sense, to me.

My copy of Fantastic Four #3, which I will more sooner than later break out the slab, is a 3.0, and looks at least like a VG 4.0. I guess they gave it a 3.0 because it has a "small piece of tape within front cover". I’d buy similar copies all day long, but not a 3.0 as they graded your Avengers #1.

And now you aren’t able to look to Stan’s signature anymore… :eyeroll:

I would've said a 2.5 / 3.0 myself leaning more towards a 2.5.

The book doesn't have any major rips or pices missing (I'm guessing the right top edge was counted as 'chipping') and still has enough eye appeal.

Yes, the spine has a lot of stress but I don't think enough to say that it's horrible. Where I think they went a little lenient is on the BC with the water stain and the rusty staples.

So to me you got a .5 bump.

Maybe because it's an Avengers 1 or maybe because Stan signed the inside cover instead of on Thor's face... :)

Nice pick up regardless!