• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading the New DC

133 posts in this topic

A bit of a late start to my reading year but my first project was to read all of the New DC. Crazy or what :facepalm: Anyways, for those interested in this type of thing (reading new comics and talking about them) compared to working out what the monetary value is:

Action Comics: 1-6

A mildly interesting read of Grant Morrison lite, with a mixture of Smallville, Dr Who and Tom Strong thrown in for good measure. Superman looks terrible – more like Superboy – in jeans, shirt and flowing cape.

I’m still not sure what the main point of the New DC reboot is but if it was to bring in new readers then it must have failed miserably if this was their flagship title (beyond the initial sugar rush of first issue buyers) because these 6 issues are wetter than Aquaman’s wet dreams. What's the point of discontinuing 80 years of continuity if you are just going to throw the usual ingredients into the mix – Jimmy, Lois, Krypton and even the Legion of Super Heroes to confuse things with some cod time travel nonsense. All Star Superman was a million times better than this.

All Star Western: 1-6

This is much better as my long standing love of all things Jonah Hex is not diluted by Gray & Palmioti taking the unusual step of putting JH into old time Gotham with Freudian sidekicks and Ripper-like rips. The Cobblepots and Waynes make an appearance, as does a literal Batcave. A thoroughly good read, though El Diablo is as pedestrian as ever but the new character – Barbary Ghost – does have potential.

Animal Man: 1-6

Stupid powers, stupid costume but stupendously great story and art – this deserves to be a massive success. Very reminiscent of Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing stories – with Alec Holland waiting in the undergrowth here – this is interesting, mysterious and cool. Issue 6 is a bit of a waste though.

I seem to be having a problem posting attachments otherwise I would have uploaded some examples of art to go with these issues. The new look Superman needs to be seen by everybody.

Aquaman: 1-6

Everybody laughs as Aquaman but this is a fabulous take from Geoff Johns – there's humour, danger, mystery and great little snippets of AC’s past and the mystery of what really happened to Atlantis. And Mera. Mera is hot.

Batgirl: 1-6

Barbara Gordon can walk again, but my is she dull. Boring, mindless characters do boring, mindless stuff. Some nice cover art can't excuse just how dull these 6 issues are. But tiny yellow text over the top over a dark background does help with the reading either

Batman: 1-6

Interesting first issue, promising start to a traditional murder mystery spiel. Some delving into long-held mysteries of Gotham and the Wayne family kept me wanting to read more. Am I the only person though who doesn't like to see Batman's physique drawn as if he was jacked up on super steroids?

Batman & Robin: 1-6

This appears to have no continuity or connection to the standard Batman book. And Bats takes another 10 year old boy under his wing and out with him during his crime fighting activities, only this time it's his son who is the 10 year old boy. Social services should be informed and the Guild of Good Comic Book Writers should be up in arms in just how pointless and witless these 6 issues are.

Batman Dark Knight: 1-6

Dull as ditch-water. There is also an appearance from a Superman who bares no resemblance to the one featured in Action Comics.

Batwing: 1-6

How many God-awful Batbooks can DC put out? Nice to see a comic book that features a non-Caucasian hero but this book is just dull.

Batwoman: 1-6

The Gotham bandwagon continues. Great cover and interior art. Always loved the work that JH Williams III did on Promethea and this is just as good. I kind off like this book – and not just because of the juxtaposition of the sex and violence in the pages – it’s different than the other Bat books, which is a good thing.

Catwoman: 1-6

Back to the Bat Universe – yippee! Nice cover to issue 1. More tiny writing on badly contrasting coloured backgrounds. Not for children or anyone who likes good writing. This is a book the Marquis de Sade would love but I honestly don’t know who DC are aiming this at. Possibly for 40 year old single men who don’t know how to talk to women.

DC Universe: 1-5

Great to see Deadman back and it was a devil of a good read. The philosophical meanderings of the dialogue may not be to everyone’s tastes though.

Catwoman: 1-6

Back to the Bat Universe – yippee! Nice cover to issue 1. More tiny writing on badly contrasting coloured backgrounds. Not for children or anyone who likes good writing. This is a book the Marquis de Sade would love but I honestly don’t know who DC are aiming this at. Possibly for 40 year old single men who don’t know how to talk to women.

That is the target market for almost every comic.