• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The next big hobby is..

92 posts in this topic

Selected vintage board games from the 50's and 60's. The Batman game from 1966 and Combat from 1963 shown below, are up from the prices in the 1995 book by Scarpone. They seem pretty affordable compared to comic books though. (Chess games are a whole different ballgame, as some run thousands of dollars.)

scarponi.jpg

Video games have been big for awhile. Nintendo, Atari, Commodore, Apple II, IBM compatible's etc. I have been trying to scoop up old games for awhile now at thrift stores and such. Just try to find an original PC version of Doom still sealed, or Wolfenstein 3D-PC version that is...nigh impossible. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Just start looking!

I collect an art magazine that consistently increases in price on eBay, every single issue. Not just asking prices either, but completed sales. I have every issue now but it was tough nailing down a few of them and I did spend several hundred dollars on at least one of them. I think the lowbrow art movement is catching on with a lot of young urban professionals with money to spend, as well as the skateboard, graffiti, anime, and tattoo enthusiasts. They are popular skins for laptops and iPhones, they have tee shirts and hats and little vinyl figures, posters and prints and lunchboxes and stationary sets. Some get published by Dark Horse or Last Gasp or other comic publishers too. You'll see some of them at SDCC and other comic related events, as well as in gallery art shows. I can see it catching on to an extent. It will always be a niche collecting hobby, but still fun.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Magazine-Back-Issues-/280/i.html?_nkw=hi+fructose

Yep, I know that mag and I think it is cool. I have never picked any up, but there is potential there for sure.

How are we defining 'big?' For instance, every year several publications like The Journal of Antiques and Collectibles publish a list on the top ten collecting categories based on the amount of collectors in the chosen field. Is this how we are defining 'big?'

I know when I personally buy for 'investment' I want to purchase something that has a large amount of collectors clamoring to get it. This can be coins, currency, comic books, or art glass.

That being said, there are also lists that mention up and coming collecting fields based on how many new collectors are staring to collect these items. It should be noted that these lists are usually what some collectors would define as 'a few years behind.' This prevents fad or speculator type collectibles (i.e. Beanie Babies) from monopolizing the list or showing inaccurate and skewed information at best.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Requoted to ask once again. Without a definition of 'big' any further discussion is irrelevant.

Can you show us an example of one of these "up and coming" lists you mentioned? (The list w/o the fad/speculator collectibles.)

I'd be curious to see what is on there.

Forgive my late 'replies' as I have been sick and still trying to get caught up on other things. Therefore, my responding to 'posts' has been few and far between.

That being said, you may not like what is on these kind of lists. Kovell's is one of the best as it covers the most 'searched' collectibles (via internet) and ranks them in order of popularity. A lot of collctors forget that antiques are highly collected and that women make up a lot of collectors worldwide. In fact, more women collect things than men. This is why when looking at any kind of list of this nature it is important to know that BOTH antiques and collectibles are on the list; as they are 'intertwined.' A trip to to Brimfield tends to open a lot of eyes to the true nature of antiques and collectibles. I also recommend that everyone here read the book; 'Killer Stuff and Tons of Money.' There is chapter on the rising prices on collectibles; compared to antique prices. The owners of Metropolic Comics are interviewed extensively in this book.

Also, remember that monetary value has little impact on what is collected by the most enthusiasts. Most collectors have a habit of looking at the top end of the market and thinking these segments represent the market as a whole. You will often hear statements like this; 'That Lego minifigure alone sold for over $100; therefore Lego is hot and highly collectible.' The same can be said about video games. The fact remains that these are very NICHE collecting fields. Niche collecting fields are dangerous for the 'investor' because of the lack of collectors in a chosen field. When collectors start to lose interest in these items; prices fall dramatically. This can be extremely hard on those who have a 'follow the herd' mentality and only collect items that other people collect; when prices rise.

I am only stating this because I can see a lot of comic collectors (and collectors of related pop culture items) being very disappointed and wanting to argue with these 'lists.' The fact remains though; that whoever publishes these lists (i.e. Kovell's, Journal of Antiques & Collectibles, or even a general article about them by Harry Rinker); they are ALL highly respected in their fields. They are what they are and the truth is the truth.

Now that I stated all the facts of the matter; I ask, do you really want to see this lists? Keep in mind that NOTHING that has been mentioned in this thread (specifically) is on these lists. Also, they tend to be general. You can fit comic books with 'ephemera' for arguments sake.

I will list one of the most popular lists soon. Please understand it is what it is. I did not create it; nor do I fully agree what it. I am just the messenger.

The first list will be listed shortly.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Hello,

Listed below is the first list based on popularity and the amount of collectors in a chosen field. This is a 'general' list and it is a top 20 list. This is from TIAS.com and is a 2012; current list. Note that this is worldwide; as collecting is a global 'epidemic.' There are other lists, but most encompass what is listed here; perfectly. Some may delve into particular genres more than others. Meaning one list may state 'advertising' while another list may specifically state 'Coco-Cola.'

1.Vintage Jewelry

2.Porcelain & Pottery

3.Glass

4.China & Dinnerware

5.Vintage Clothing

6.Memorabilia

7.Vintage Sewing

8.Autographs

9.Kitchen Collectibles

10.Photographica

11.Clocks & Watches

12. Art

13.Militaria

14.Paper & Ephemera

15.Dolls

16.Figurines

17.Hobbies

18.Toys

19.Lamps & Lighting

20.Advertising

Note that this list is COURTESY OF TIAS.COM and this should be noted.

This list is perfect as every other list from Kovell's to any other highly trusted publication and source all list the same things. Understand that you have to look at the collecting market as a whole. Antiques, glass (which encompasses bottles), and other truly vinatge items are very popular right now.

Kovels Top 10 Antiques & Collectibles Searches for 2011

Cookie jars

Royal Bayreuth

Antique furniture

Antique pottery and porcelain

Antique bottles

Occupied Japan

Royal Doulton

Coca-Cola

Antique glass

Antique jewelry

Here is what gets searched the most on Kovell's. This list is their property and shows what was searched the most by collectors in 2011. Again this list is courtesy of Kovell's.

Note how both lists overlap. This is what collectors (as defined by the truest sense of the word) are most searching for and collecting. Note this does NOT mean that all these items make 'good investments.' I would NOT touch figurines or a lot of the items on these lists. That being said, after viewing these lists; one can now understand why I asked for a definition of the term 'big.' These are all very 'big' collecting fields. Does that mean I would 'invest' in ALL of these chosen fields? Absolutely not. It should be known that I LOVE coins and currency; but that particular category usually ranks just a little later in most lists and misses the top ten or twenty mark by a small margin. Some lists DO include and separate out pop culture items. These are the lists that specifically mention coins and comic books.

Curious to hear the forums thoughts. I am sure that some members on this forum are 'disappointed' and others expected this much. I can publish more lists of this nature if you would like. Some further categorize some of the more popular collecting categories. Others do not.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'