• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic egos

133 posts in this topic

"you are stupid to collect ASM 39-150, real men only collect ASM 1-10 in 9.6 and above", which is what I thought COI was referring to.

I was using the ASM 39-150 as an example based on what I collect, not because it happened. I was just illustrating where I feel the line was between pride of collecting, and egotism, and I didn't want to name any more names or dredge up any past rivalries. I've seen it a lot on these boards in the last 2 years, and a lot of times it is very subtle.

But has anyone ever said to me flat out "Only real men collect ASM 1-10 in 9.6"? No. But at the same time, I have other interests, and am pretty private about what I'm looking to buy and what I own, and don't get into it much on here. I use different buying ID's, and don't talk about my books, but that's not to say that others shouldn't.

I dont recall anyone questioning someone specifically collecting Spideys after Ditko... And I cant understand that either since IMO Ditko was the One True Spidey Artist.... but here again, to each his own...

Here you go again, you EGOTISTICAL [!@#%^&^] [!@#%^&^]. grin.gifgrin.gif

But seriously, Ditko the one true Spidey artist? Not for me. Long live Romita SR!

Your collection sucks....and everyone knows it.10_1_106.gif

Yes it does.

See you at the Con. devil.gif Bring some gauze, rubbing alcohol, and a splint. hi.gifmad.gif

Yes it does.

See you at the Con. devil.gif Bring some gauze, rubbing alcohol, and a splint. hi.gif

Will you at least buy me a beer after the beating? smirk.gif

Can't......saving the money for a Darkhawk #1. It will be the cornerstone of my collection.

while I have your attention....what the f893censored-thumb.gifk is up with your avatar?

I'm not trying to be a , but your avatar is offensive. I am sure that I am not the only person here that finds it extremely distasteful. I'm not trying to be a @sshole to you or anything, but do you honestly think that the picture you are using is appropriate for comic book forums.

What is even more disturbing is that you actually colored it and such. Damn man, c'mon.

I agree wholeheartedly.

-- Joanna

Am I missing something?

Yes it does.

See you at the Con. devil.gif Bring some gauze, rubbing alcohol, and a splint. hi.gif

Will you at least buy me a beer after the beating? smirk.gif

Can't......saving the money for a Darkhawk #1. It will be the cornerstone of my collection.

There you go again.....bragging about your acquisitions. tongue.gif

hi.gif

Now, I don't think you were posting on the Boards when these incidents occurred, but I have to say that I'm a bit puzzled that you think these high end collectors and dealers, as a whole, are nice people - has this been your experience or do you just give everyone a lot of slack? I mean, I've heard that Tripps is a genuinely nice guy, but we've seen here first-hand what an insufferable cad that other guy is and I could definitely add some more names to that list...

Gene, I don't know what is up with this vendetta you have with BSDs, or why you try to turn a very narrow question into another forum for you to vent your unexplained anger. Where have I said in any of my posts, or my PMs to you, that high end collectors and dealers are, as a whole, nice people? I am not so naive to think that owning nice comic books somehow renders one immune from the various flaws that afflict the rest of the human race. I think my response to one of your PMs, in fact, was that BSDs are no better or worse than just about any other collection of people.

The reason I asked the question is that the lawyer in me, after reading (again) these vague accusations of BSDs exhibiting "what you collect sucks and what I collect is cool" behavior, was simply seeking concrete examples of such behavior by forumites known (or thought) to be BSDs. I really just wanted to know whether this was a case of a claim that can be clearly substantiated by evidence, or is it just a case of rumors built upon innuendo built upon hearsay, that after a while because it's been said by so many people becomes accepted as fact? I even offered up Tom B's post as a clear example of such behavior, to show that I'm not blind to this kind of behavior when it happens nor do I condone it, and to make it easy for people to understand what I'm talking about.

I'm still waiting for evidence of other statements on these boards by known BSDs to the effect of "you are lame for collecting X" or "your collection pales in significance next to mine" or "you should only collect above grades of X, because everything below that grade is dreck". Just provide links to the appropriate threads.

(note: this isn't for COI, I just pushed the nearest reply button)

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a collection that 'sucks' by any outside standard. So what if someone collected Jim Lee X-Men? If he thought they were cool, then to him, it was a cool collection.

Tastes differ. Give me a choice between a 9.6 AF 15 and a low grade Lois Lane (assuming neither can be resold) and I'll take the LL every time. If they can be resold, I'll take the AF15, sell it instantly, and buy me a bunch of LL's and Wonder Womans. Does this mean I think that anyone who would buy an AF15 is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? Of course not. To some people that book has great value. To me it doesn't. There are those who would think an All Star 8 or a Sensation 1 is a waste of funds. To me they are grails.

Comic ego, as outlined initially, should have nothing to do with the actual books. It's about people who define their self-worth using material possessions, and trying to impose that skewed version of self-worth onto others.

Granted, being someone who never cared about owning high grade books, this whole comic ego thing is very foreign to me. I've seen it on these boards, and chuckled, because the books people brag about are almost always books I don't want to own. I tend to think it's nice that person found a book they want, love, or are excited about. It certainly has nothing to do with me. Even when they are books I'd like to own, I usually either want to read it (if I never owned it) or just think it's a good-looking book.

Right now, I'd just like to get financially stable enough that I can buy back all those wonderfully non-high grade comics that no one would envy. Some day I will. Look for me around the SA dollar boxes, hunting down those LLs and WWs.

-- Joanna

There goes Joanna again... ruining a perfectly good thread with reason, logic and sense... foreheadslap.gif

confused.gif As opposed to the rest of the thread which is illogical nonsense?

There goes Joanna again... ruining a perfectly good thread with reason, logic and sense... foreheadslap.gif

No, as opposed to the rest of the thread which still had a chance to develop into the Memorial Day Massacre this place so desperately needs... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, as opposed to the rest of the thread which still had a chance to develop into the Memorial Day Massacre this place so desperately needs... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Damn Yank holiday! Massacres work best on holidays that everyone gets! sumo.gif

I'm still waiting for evidence of other statements on these boards by known BSDs to the effect of "you are lame for collecting X" or "your collection pales in significance next to mine" or "you should only collect above grades of X, because everything below that grade is dreck". Just provide links to the appropriate threads.

C'mon, do you think anyone comes out and says these things so bluntly? But the mentality is there, and not just from the BSD crowd. Go on the Ebay forums and try to explain why you collect high grade CGC, and listen to why you are not a "real" collector and why only "real" collectors buy VG's, and how you are a hearless speculator who's actions are damaging the hobby. This mentality of "my way is better than your way" and one-upmanship is existant everywhere and in every aspect of life. We are all a little to proud and/or a little too arrogant about something. But I tend to be a little more forgiving when that arrogance relates to a real accomplishment, as opposed to an accumulation of material possesions.

We had our long weekend last week. Ours is "Victoria day".