• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Saw "Super Size Me" today

101 posts in this topic

I read something about the China problem as well. It will be interesting to see how they get through the impending dissaster. I think the U.S. will be a little better off since we don't have the same Huge families that were rampant in China, but we're still seeing those problems with the coming retirement of the Baby Boomers. Will we learn from our mistakes? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just remember Apoth, there is nothing personal meant here......if I was any good at off-topic debates I'd be hanging out over in the water cooler area! I knew we were gettin' dangerously close to WC territory. flowerred.gif

Now, as for the appropriations for Bush's continuing search for WMDs......where can I sign off on those?

Ok... I'll show my ignorance here... what does WMDs stand for?

ummm, okay. gotcha. Hate kids and reading newspapers ans watching the news and knowing what the f is going on in the world.....

I think it would be great if they just renamed all the McDonalds, Wendys, etc. fare.....

Change "The Whopper" to......"The Heart Stopper"

The "Triple Quarter Pounder" aka "The Triple Bypass"

When you "Biggie-Size" it, you really should "Piggie-Size" it

You get the idea.

It’s all a vicious cycle. Even when over-weight people aren't eating fast food from a fast food restaurant, they're eating fast food at home, e.g., frozen foods pumped with preservatives or processed meats, etc. The choices they're making at home aren't really different from the choices they're making when they're out.

Jared, the Subway guy, was in the movie and he said to an over-weight 14 year old (who was BIG for her age) that society isn't going to change for her, she needs to change. In this conversation, the girl's mom was also talking and she said the weight was hereditary. She told him about her great-grandfather who had to be buried in a piano box - and she sounded proud of this! I just think that she's enabling her daughter's weight by saying it's hereditary. Size may be but weight and diet is controllable. I may not be saying this correctly but I’m pretty sure that obesity is now 2nd in preventable health risks only to smoking. bottom-line, how healthy you are is completely up to you.

If you really believe that overweight is hereditary, then it must be a gene that is killed by traveling over salt water because it doesn't seem to be a problem (as bad, as yet) in Europe, or anywhere else in the world.

A visit to your local US Shopping Mall is like visiting the stock yards. Big asses, big guts everywhere. And then there are the adults...... 893whatthe.gif

Just remember Apoth, there is nothing personal meant here......if I was any good at off-topic debates I'd be hanging out over in the water cooler area! I knew we were gettin' dangerously close to WC territory. flowerred.gif

No no... I never take it as personal. I'm pretty good at the OT debates, but I avoid the WC also due to the venom that gets spit in there.

Ok... I'll show my ignorance here... what does WMDs stand for?

ummm, okay. gotcha. Hate kids and reading newspapers ans watching the news and knowing what the f is going on in the world.....

Ummm.. ok... so because I didn't know that WMDs was an acronym for Weapons of Mass Destruction you automatically assumed that I didn't read the paper, watch the news, or know what the F is going on? Do you always follow that train of thought? So far I have never heard a newscaster say WMDs or seen a reporter in a newspaper write that. So sorry for not keeping up on my acronyms.

As for the assumption that I hate kids... would that be due to the fact that I don't want them? Is it because I don't think I should pay more because I don't have them? What's the logic behind this one?

my wife mentioned something to me this morning that she read in the paper: immigrants to the U.S. within ethnic minorities have a greater life expectancy than folks within the same ethnic group who were naturally born. so someone who moves here from mexico will live longer than a distant cousin who was born here. the reason? lifestyle. they weren't raised in the fast food nation so it's not engrained within them. (truly sign-offtopic.gif here but an african-american who moves here from africa will live 9 years longer than someone of african-american decent who's born here. but, that same african person would live 8 years less than the average american born african-american if they stay in their country. so there is some upside to living in america.)

yet another bit from the movie. the guy was showing pictures of famous people to children and asking them who they were. he showed george washington and 2-3 of the 5 knew who he was. he showed a picture of jesus to them and 4 of the 5 didn't know who he was and 1 guessed that it was george bush ("no. but that's a good guess." - one of my favorite lines.) ALL 5 knew who ronald mcdonald was when he showed them the picture. and, four people standing in front of the white house couldn't properly recite the pledge of allegiance but, at the drop of a hat, could recite the "big mac song."

I think it would be great if they just renamed all the McDonalds, Wendys, etc. fare.....

Change "The Whopper" to......"The Heart Stopper"

The "Triple Quarter Pounder" aka "The Triple Bypass"

When you "Biggie-Size" it, you really should "Piggie-Size" it

You get the idea.

27_laughing.gif.. I agree Red.. My wife was a waitress for over 15 years of her life, and the things she saw people order and put in their bodies made her cringe.

So along with the name changes for some food items.

I think we should empower the Fat(oops meant Fast) Food employees to make a judgement call as to wether or not a customer can order a Big Mac..

Might go something like this..

Customer.."Yes I would like to order value meal #3"

Employee " um sir.. can you tell me your cholesterol level ?

Customer " whats cholesterol ?"

Employee.. " sir.. if you dont know your cholesterol level.. then let me measure your body fat to see what Value Meal you qualify for.

Customer " Say what?

Employee " Sir I am just folowing the New National Fast Food Acountability Guidelines"

Customer " Listen I just want my fries and Burger.."

Employee : I know sir.. but the computer scan of you shows me that for your height , you are 67.2 pounds over your ideal bodyweight.. and if I serve you a Supersized Value meal , I can now be held accountable if you have a heart attack within 24 hours"

Customer " Nevermind.. I will just go home and eat my Freetos and Twinkies"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supa .. please noo not my Pizza?.. 27_laughing.gif actually they just said recently that the tomato sauce on Pizza can decrease a risk in cancer.. and HBP..

And I personally like thin crust , fresh mozzerala type of Pizza .. not the "Meat Lovers Pizza Bomb" How can any food called a "Bomb" be good for you? 27_laughing.gif

And Apoth.. I am sorry you dont want kids.. I didnt think I did either.. life changes I guess..

Anyhow.. I think we get a tax break as parents because of all the extra money we have to spend to boost the economy.. to keep our kids fed, clothed, entertained, and educated.

So I can feel your frustration about having to pay taxes for things that you feel do not affect you.

But isnt it a small price to pay to live in a City that has an education system in place as opposed to having only those that can afford school pay for it, and those that dont... might just be trying to rob you because of their lack of education.

Zeman

Wait a dang minute there!

You mean....George Bush.......and Ronald McDonald.........are different People?

Well, I definitely don't know what the F is going on! 27_laughing.gif