• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I find this one hard to swallow AF #15 %91,000 + from he who must not be named

44 posts in this topic

Interesting point, but any buyer forking over 100K should have enough sence to do a little research on the scan and the seller before slapping down 100K. Even if the book was a 9.2 wouldn't Hammer be leaving himself open to a case of fraud?893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I still strongly say this is a fake book with a fake sale. sumo.gif

I think all the research that zaq12 or mammanook would need to do to bid on this auction is to work out the return policy with hammer ahead of time, and if it comes back restored, well, they get their money back (and if in fact the book is restored, then that itself would be valuable information to someone wink.gif), and if not, then they just bought one of the top copies of the most collected book in all of comicdom! thumbsup2.gif

Would anyone really be surprised if hammer sold his personal copy of these books just to "prove everyone wrong", not to mention the $150,000??

Of course I don't necessarily think this theory is true, "...but it's so crazy it just might work!" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Would anyone really be surprised if hammer sold his personal copy of these books just to "prove everyone wrong", not to mention the $150,000??

I'd be very surprised, yes. He knows how much more he'd get for a certified copy.

Like I said, even if the book does turn out to be unrestored, any prudent person would have still stayed far, far away from this auction at that kind of price level.

Thats the biggest understatement I've ever heard on the boards.

Is this book hammer's swan song? confused-smiley-013.gif

Did hammer just sell his ultimate, unrestored copies of AF 15 and ASM 1 to both "cash out" his collection as well as leave the carnage behind with two legitimate sales, at eye-popping prices!?!? 893whatthe.gif

After 20(?) years of buying/selling as many high grade copies of these books as anyone, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if these books are unrestored. His inventory has certainly thinned over the last year or so compared to a couple years ago, and now all of the sudden these show up, AFTER the CBG article and the wide exposure of his scandalous practices on the net? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm down for $20 that these books are unrestored... gossip.gif

If that AF#15 is unrestored, he left about $90,000 on the table as I believe that the book would have gone for $200K or more slabbed with white pages. It is perfectly centered, and looks like it might be a 9.8, if the scan isn't doctored.