• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st of a genre
1 1

26 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, IngelsFan said:

The April issue was the Hitler cover. February was an outer space cover. VERY cool to know that this is the first Hitler cover. Here are both

61C21B66-B7FF-404E-B11E-5C9749163FBB.jpeg

25F69376-FB39-4BC8-A3C0-D933FE1CB89C.jpeg

I suppose also worth mentioning is the cover which recently came to my attention while browsing on GCD (Judge #2693, August 1936):

xw98g8A.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

What is generally considered the first WWII cover? 

I've seen arguments for Action 11 from April of 1939. Before the war started but tensions were running high. 

I've also seen an argument made for War Comics #1 (Dell publishing), which was March 1940. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

What is generally considered the first WWII cover? 

I've seen arguments for Action 11 from April of 1939. Before the war started but tensions were running high. 

I've also seen an argument made for War Comics #1 (Dell publishing), which was March 1940. 

Brookwood’s Speed Comics #1 (October, 1939) seems to specify the war on the cover as taking place in World War II based on the skull symbol, as it’s possibly the Nazi totenkopf symbol. The 1X B around the skull could also possibly be a reference to the prisoner-of-war camp Stalag IX-B. It may have at the very least been the first World War II cover released while World War II was officially going on.

PCikETF.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

12 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Brookwood’s Speed Comics #1 (October, 1939), seems to specify the war on the cover as taking place in World War II based on the skull symbol, as it’s possibly the Nazi totenkopf symbol. The 1X B around the skull could also possibly be a reference to the prisoner-of-war camp Stalag IX-B. It may have at the very least been the First World War II cover released while World War II was officially going on.

PCikETF.jpg

That's super cool. I've never seen that one before! 

Thanks for the info! 

5 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

That's super cool. I've never seen that one before! 

Thanks for the info! 

You’re welcome! Also worth noting is Wonderworld Comics #5 (September, 1939), which is said to have gone on-sale in July, before World War II officially began, but also has a vehicle with a skull symbol on it.

MhqptP2.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

8 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

You’re welcome! Also worth noting is Wonderworld Comics #5 (September, 1939), which is said to have gone on-sale in July, before World War II officially began, but also has a vehicle with a skull symbol on it.

MhqptP2.jpg

That's another super cool one. I haven't seen either of these.