• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA Pence Copies

27 posts in this topic

Noticed a bunch of key issues up for auction on Heritage. Few questions:

- Does anyone collect these.

- How long did they print for? ie: FF#1 to ? Or was printing restricted to key issues.

- Mass produced overseas or low distribution?

- Did they print thesse for GA issues?

- Undervauled today or are they viewed to have the same value as Reprints?

- Who has a wide range of these for sale in the US (mainly Marvel SA's)?

There have been many previous discussions on pence copies in the past in the forums. Do a forum search and you will find a ton of info. They were printed at the same time as cents copies and are identical other then the price. They may be considered 'price variants'.

They may be considered 'price variants'.

Oh, don't say that. foreheadslap.gif

Don't worry.

#1 - The first rule of Price Variant Club is, you do not talk about Price Variant Club.

#2 - The second rule of Price Variant Club is, you DO NOT talk about Price Variant Club.

#6 - Do not alert members of Price Variant Club for hidden variants. Let them find their own damn variants.

That's what I meant!

Shhhhh...! shy.gif

What do people think is "fair value" for the X-Men #1 CGC 9.2 (off-white pages) pence copy on Heritage right now? Overstreet 9.2 value for the U.S. edition is $13,000. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

- Does anyone collect these.

The market for these is still limited to Brit collectors nostalgic for their youth, and those who can't afford the authentic cents versions. Even if they were printed at the same time on the same press etc. 893blahblah.gif

- How long did they print for? ie: FF#1 to ? Or was printing restricted to key issues.

Marvel comics were distributed in the U.K. from November 1959 onwards. Most titles had pence versions (either stamp or price) including pre-hero books. In 1972 Marvel began printing weekly U.K. Marvels for the U.K. market, with b&w interiors and a larger format. Many U.S. Marvels from this time up until 1980 were not distributed as Marvel felt they would clash with the U.K. versions, such as ASM 121 - 214, Averngers 121 - 152, Marvel Team Up 1-23. When direct distribution came along in 1981/1982 it ended the need for pence copies, as both the U.S. and U.K. price were printed on the cover.

- Mass produced overseas or low distribution?

All pence copies of U.S. Marvels were printed in America and constituted approximately 2% of the print run.

- Did they print thesse for GA issues?

No, although there are 1940s and 1950s reprints, but not many.

- Undervauled today or are they viewed to have the same value as Reprints?

I reckon that the Heritage auction will tell you almost everything you need to know. Some do value them as reprints, although they aren't really.

- Who has a wide range of these for sale in the US (mainly Marvel SA's)?

I don't know about the U.S. (probably not many dealers have a decent stock of pence copies), but I have some in my inventory (click the sig line). If it's pre-1975, and above VG and doesn't say "cents" after it, it's a pence copy.

Yes, I do believe nobody collects UK pence copies apart from a very small crowd of people in England. Nobody else at all buys them and they are worth nowhere near the OS guide, something like 2-3%

Yes, I do believe nobody collects UK pence copies apart from a very small crowd of people in England. Nobody else at all buys them and they are worth nowhere near the OS guide, something like 2-3%

I've never got down as low as 2-3%, but I have made some great pence deals. My FF1 and AF15, both mid-grade, cost around 15% of guide. They may be reprints in all but name, but when you see key SA books costing a tiny fraction of the originals price, they have to be worth picking up.

reprints

893naughty-thumb.gif I'm not gonna speak on this subject until next week, but my blood is boiling over that comment 893frustrated.gif

(They are NOT reprints)

NOT reprints? But YOU said they can be picked up for 2-3% of guide. Sounds like a reprint price to me. 27_laughing.giftongue.gif

i just bought hulk#138 9.4 pence for $9.99 and i will buy these any day at those prices.the only other pence copy i have is amaz spidey#50 cgc 6.0.someone on the board said the best bang for your buck is to go over to england and sell your pence copies if you had a lot of them. confused-smiley-013.gif