• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Cheap "Specific" Bags and Boards

24 posts in this topic

Looking to (re) bag and board my collection, mostly 80s and 90s - most of the valuable books have been slabbed, so I'm talking mostly sub-$100 comics here. The vast majority under $10. Don't want to spend much on bags and boards, but I would like good ones. Acid Free, "archival," etc. The catch is I'm looking for a specific kind of bag. Some bags on the back, go all the way up to the top of the board so when you fold it over, it kind of bends over the top of the back of the bag. Annoys me. The bags I'm looking for have about 3/8" space at the back - when you fold over the top, there is a space between the top cut of the back of the bag and the top of the board (as well as the fold). Doesn't "double over." Not sure if this makes sense - but I'm told the Ultra Pros "double over." Those are available at my lcs (mile high). Can anyone advise/confirm bags and board that are good, cheap, and have the space. Where do I get them online?

Looking to (re) bag and board my collection, mostly 80s and 90s - most of the valuable books have been slabbed, so I'm talking mostly sub-$100 comics here. The vast majority under $10. Don't want to spend much on bags and boards, but I would like good ones. Acid Free, "archival," etc. The catch is I'm looking for a specific kind of bag. Some bags on the back, go all the way up to the top of the board so when you fold it over, it kind of bends over the top of the back of the bag. Annoys me. The bags I'm looking for have about 3/8" space at the back - when you fold over the top, there is a space between the top cut of the back of the bag and the top of the board (as well as the fold). Doesn't "double over." Not sure if this makes sense - but I'm told the Ultra Pros "double over." Those are available at my lcs (mile high). Can anyone advise/confirm bags and board that are good, cheap, and have the space. Where do I get them online?

I have the same pet peeve about the bag being longer than the board. I use Mylar for anything expensive, but for cheap books I use Poly bags. BCW (sold everywhere & online) 2 mil Poly bags are what I'm currently using and they work perfect with all the various boards I've purchased. Stay away from GTS, the bag is too long for the board and it doubles over.

I have the same pet peeve about the bag being longer than the board. I use Mylar for anything expensive, but for cheap books I use Poly bags. BCW (sold everywhere & online) 2 mil Poly bags are what I'm currently using and they work perfect with all the various boards I've purchased. Stay away from GTS, the bag is too long for the board and it doubles over.

Thanks Shellhead, so the BCW bags have the "space?"

Thanks Shellhead, so the BCW bags have the "space?"

Yeah...you get a perfect fold-over without that pesky doubling up (which actually kinda crumples up over time and looks uneven). I found the boards weren't the culprit, it was the bags. I like and am currently using Comic Defense 24-pt backer boards, but BCW bags have worked with every board manufacturer I've ever used.

Yeah...you get a perfect fold-over without that pesky doubling up (which actually kinda crumples up over time and looks uneven). I found the boards weren't the culprit, it was the bags. I like and am currently using Comic Defense 24-pt backer boards, but BCW bags have worked with every board manufacturer I've ever used.

Thanks again Shellhead, and it's nice to know that I'm not the only person that is annoyed by the bags that double over.

Here is BCW's response to the question:

"Ideally, our comic boards are cut to fill the space of a comic bag with no shortage or extra.

Granted there may be some mild production variance, but we aim to have the board stop at the lip of the bag so there is neither double-over nor space."

I wouldn't mind if the cut on the back of the bag goes right up to the top of the board, so long as it doesn't double over - but ideally what I'm looking for is in the picture below:

photo.JPG

Right now the majority of my books are in these bags, but they were bagged over a decade ago, so I'm looking to swap them out and have ALL the books in the same bags and boards. I measured this bag and it looks like it's:

6 7/8 x 10 1/8 with a 2" flap

I thought that company went out of business. You might try Bud Plant for residual stock.

When I have bags where the well is too long like described, I just trim the extra off with scissors. My method is labor-intensive, however.

I thought that company went out of business. You might try Bud Plant for residual stock.

When I have bags where the well is too long like described, I just trim the extra off with scissors. My method is labor-intensive, however.

Say it aint so. How can I contact Bud Plant?

Say it aint so. How can I contact Bud Plant?

link

Hotflips' Comicvision and Miller Hobby are heads & shoulders above the BCW and Ultra Pro bags when it comes to quality - they're thicker, with higher-quality seams, and if you buy a pack of 100, you actually get 100 bags (not 97, not 102, not 94).

Hotflips' Comicvision and Miller Hobby are heads & shoulders above the BCW and Ultra Pro bags when it comes to quality - they're thicker, with higher-quality seams, and if you buy a pack of 100, you actually get 100 bags (not 97, not 102, not 94).

Yeah, that's my only complaint about BCW - they need to be thicker. In a few months of storage in a box, they tend to get a bit puckered and wrinkled and distort the image of the comic beneath the plastic.

I'm glad you weighed in. I'll buy those next time around. Your thread on Mylar storage is my favorite thread on this website. (thumbs u

Thanks for that. We appreciate it.